Quantcast

Shimano am40 shoes?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Time for new shoes and Ive been thinking about giving these a try. I own both the Shimano MP66 and the Five Ten impact but they are both aging very quickly.

Love the FiveTen sticky soles but I find them a bit too "thick" and kinda loose the feel of the pedals...Plus they re fairly heavy and they all look like clown shoes too me...;-)

I like the Freerider but they are just as expensive as the oher 510's and cant see why they would cost more to make than the AM40 with a nice flap and a Vibram sole...

The MP66 on the other hand looks decent to me, love the lighter weight and the thin sole but the rubber doesnt grip as much as I would want.PLus sometimes, I find the sole to be a bit too thin.

Im hoping AM40 is the shoes that I need.

Can anyone comment on those? Are they any goods? The Vibram sole seems to be sticky in the store but does it last? I hear the sole are slightly thicker than the MP66 but not as much as a 5'10, is this true?

Thank you guys and MERRY X-MAS !

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Time for new shoes and Ive been thinking about giving these a try. I own both the Shimano MP66 and the Five Ten impact but they are both aging very quickly.

Love the FiveTen sticky soles but I find them a bit too "thick" and kinda loose the feel of the pedals...Plus they re fairly heavy and they all look like clown shoes too me...;-)

I like the Freerider but they are just as expensive as the oher 510's and cant see why they would cost more to make than the AM40 with a nice flap and a Vibram sole...

The MP66 on the other hand looks decent to me, love the lighter weight and the thin sole but the rubber doesnt grip as much as I would want.PLus sometimes, I find the sole to be a bit too thin.

Im hoping AM40 is the shoes that I need.

Can anyone comment on those? Are they any goods? The Vibram sole seems to be sticky in the store but does it last? I hear the sole are slightly thicker than the MP66 but not as much as a 5'10, is this true?

Thank you guys and MERRY X-MAS !
I have a pair of the AM40s and they do give you a bit more "feel" on the pedals. The rubber isn't as sticky as the 5.10s but the sole pattern provides excellent grip. I have noticed that the sole is getting a bit torn up from my set screw pins on my pedals. They haven't lost any grip because of this though. They are very comfortable and can be worn around for long periods of time without pain or discomfort. They are true to size and fit a tiny bit wide which is perfect for my Fred Flintstone feet. I'm not sure they'll be as durable or burly as a set of 5.10s but they're lasting just fine for me.

I would recommend them as an alternative to the 5.10s anyday.