Quantcast

Shimano AM45 sizing

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm looking to buy a pair but haven't managed to find a 44 to try on. I tried on a 45 and it was a little big, but maybe not by enough to make a 44 a good fit. I have a couple pairs of 44.5 Sidis which fit perfectly. Any thoughts on if the 44 Shimano is likely to be any good, or should I be looking for a different shoe?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm looking to buy a pair but haven't managed to find a 44 to try on. I tried on a 45 and it was a little big, but maybe not by enough to make a 44 a good fit. I have a couple pairs of 44.5 Sidis which fit perfectly. Any thoughts on if the 44 Shimano is likely to be any good, or should I be looking for a different shoe?
Well those shoes have a tendancy to "pack in", similar to ski boots. So if at first they are a little too snug, that's probably perfect. Because as time goes on, they will just get "looser".

As far as other shoes? I don't think there are any better shoes for DH/heavy trail. I've been wearing them since the grey ones appeared and have had the white ones and now I have the current black incarnation. Great protection in the toe and inside ankle. Great for hike a bike, HAB. Oh wait, thats you. Is that what your name is? The shoe lace cover may look dorky, but they really do a great job in keeping out dirt and water as well as protect the laces from getting gnarly. And they are just as comfy walking around the bar as they are on the bike. Not many shoes can claim that.

Shimano FTMFW!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I normally wear a size 8 in street shoes but I found the AM45 to be a half size large in length and width. The toe box was so large that the lace eyelets bottomed out against each other.

Everyone has feet and none are the same or similar so take this report accordingly.

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
I found the length to fit as expected, but as others mentioned, they're rather large volume. I have to cinch down pretty hard on the laces or my feet will move around way more than I'd like.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Necro-thread! Anyway, going to dabble in clips more. My weird shimano shoes look like creepy bowling shoes and freeze my feet...
Question is: AM45 for $50, or the AM9 for $100?
I saw that the AM9 is lighter, is there any other benefit? Is either one superior in the cold?
I've got a narrow foot, but the plan is to order according to my street shoe size, 11.5

Just a big day for me over here :D

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
The AM45 for 50$ is a good deal . I wear a 11.5 as well and the 45 is a perfect fit . The shoe is light weight and quality should last at least a couple of seasons of riding. I think you'll be very happy with the fit of the AM45 shoe . So paying 50$ more for the AM9 is not worth passing this good deal up , IMO.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
I've been running the am45 for over a year with about 200 days on them. Durability has been great. I did replace the laces after one snapped and also the foot beds deteriorated, but the shoe itself doesn't show too much wear. Size wise they are a little wide for my feet , I have to cinche the laces right down. They are quite a heavy shoe as well.

I have actually ordered some am9s , they should be here in a few days

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Necro-thread! Anyway, going to dabble in clips more. My weird shimano shoes look like creepy bowling shoes and freeze my feet...
Question is: AM45 for $50, or the AM9 for $100?
I saw that the AM9 is lighter, is there any other benefit? Is either one superior in the cold?
I've got a narrow foot, but the plan is to order according to my street shoe size, 11.5

Just a big day for me over here :D

The cleat groove on the AM9s look pretty awesome. I did a hack job on all the AM45s I've owned to duplicate it.

I don't know if it's worth 50 bucks. The AM45s are heavy. Fine for dh or mud riding where comfort is more important but I wouldn't (and don't) use them for my full time trail riding shoes. If you just want one clipless shoe, plopping down the extra cash might be worth it.

Plus the AM9 is designed for that new type of riding that just started happening :rofl:

Shimano AM9 SPD Gravity Shoe
With the rise in popularity of technical trail, enduro and downhill style riding, bicycle companies have been scrambling to meet the needs of these aggressive disciplines.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I cannot say much about the clipless shoes but I have had the am41 and now the am7. The am7 have a much nicer fit and are more comfortable. I guess it would be the same improvement from the am45 to am9.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
By the way, the 5 10 mi6 soles are way more grippy than the shimano but that's for another discussion! ;)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My feet go cold in about 1 hour under 30* in the am45. I have two pairs and run them for all riding, I'd like to get a better show for trail riding and I've since switched to flats and warmer boots for the winter blues

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm aware, but the consistency of the snow around here and the subsequent pedal clogging combined with the required amount of hike a bike makes flats and winter hiking boots far more enjoyable. The keeping my feet warm thing is an added bonus.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm aware, but the consistency of the snow around here and the subsequent pedal clogging combined with the required amount of hike a bike makes flats and winter hiking boots far more enjoyable. The keeping my feet warm thing is an added bonus.
:stupid: Cleats are butt stupid if there's any snow.
more just wanted to share awareness that its an option. never had an issue with cleats / pedals clogging with snow.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Back on topic, I'd go with the AM9's. They are better in every way (weight, fit, cleat placement) and well worth the extra $50.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
never used 45's. been running the 9's since feb, and they're solid so far. don't see any indications of problem areas. flex is a bit on the softer side of the spectrum; i'm ok with that. just noticed they're on sale at jenson for $95; hard to beat that.