Quantcast

Shimano calipers serviceable or disposable?

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Hey, just need a little help with my Saint M800 brakes. I was out riding today and had very little power in my rear brake. I thought it might be contaminated pads and disc, so I blowtorched and sanded the pads and degreased the disc. I went out in the street to test it; braking as hard as I could, what happened was the wheel would lock for a split second, then rotate again, then lock, then rotate and gradually slow to a halt. I took a look at the caliper and noticed a tiny amount of oil weeping from around the pistons. I suppose the weird braking thing could have been pressure building up, dropping a bit when it leaked, building up again etc.

Anyway, it looks like I have leaky piston seals. But, a Google search pointed me to a thread on another forum where somebody said Shimano calipers aren't user serviceable, and you should send them back to get a replacement. I also can't find a seal kit or service instructions online or anything. This seems pretty ridiculous to me, and not much use because I've had them so long I'm not even sure they're in warranty any more (I doubt it). Could anyone confirm if I can just take them to a Shimano dealer and get them to fit new seals, or is it really new caliper time?

Cheers

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
In the uk its game over. Madison do not stock any of the seals. I have got a perfectly good m800 lever and goodridge hose sitting in my spares box waiting for one to come up second hand at a decent price.

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
In the uk its game over. Madison do not stock any of the seals. I have got a perfectly good m800 lever and goodridge hose sitting in my spares box waiting for one to come up second hand at a decent price.
Gutted. I really can't hold anything against the brakes, they have been faultless for I think about four years now, but I'm surprised that the big S aren't supporting them any more. My next questions would be a) can you get seals from dealers in other countries or b) would another type of caliper be suitable? I seem to remember the chat was that LX or XT were exactly the same calipers, just a different colour. How about the Hone caliper?

greengreer

Monkey
Apr 27, 2008
NC
Gutted. I really can't hold anything against the brakes, they have been faultless for I think about four years now, but I'm surprised that the big S aren't supporting them any more. My next questions would be a) can you get seals from dealers in other countries or b) would another type of caliper be suitable? I seem to remember the chat was that LX or XT were exactly the same calipers, just a different colour. How about the Hone caliper?
I know that XT are basically the same caliper, probably LX and Hone are very similar if not the same.

Edit- you could pick up this and sell the rotor if you don't have use for a 160mm :
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3898

Last edited: