Quantcast

Shimano Chainguide

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Shimano enters the chainguide market with their own design

From Spoke Magazine:

For those of you that follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook you would have had a little sneaky peak at Shimano’s new chain device yesterday when we posted up the fresh off the courier photos… but is a slightly more in depth look at whats going on with this guide from the blue component giant.

First up its worth mentioning that the although we have an ISCG03 in the photos they will only be bringing in ISCG05 and in three Chain ring sizes, 34t, 36t and 38t. TO keep weight down the actual bash ring is designed to only be doing its job when your preferred front foot is forward. That bash ring is size specific, hence the guide only coming for three chain ring sizes.

As you can see when mounted to your spider (just use your imagination) the bash guard tucks into the bottom guide/skid plate…

…Which just happens to be spring-loaded and pivots around that front bearing… and as you can see they have opted for a slider rather than a roller for the bottom guide

The top guide is really the only standard thing on the guide…

Its taken Shimano a while to bring out their own nice trail guide and this one looks like that taking their time in producing a guide has paid off… We are testing the ISCG05 model right now and will be featuring a review in the February issue of Spoke. They aren’t in the country just yet but if you head down to your local shop and place an order you should be able to secure one of the first ones!

Retail pricing in New Zealand will be $229 and availability will be late November.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Hows your design coming along?
You mean my 4 year old "old school" mrp (with the 2 rollers) with a proper bash that is more oval than circle now, been on 2 bikes, about 1 million feet of vert, seen about 100 50-50 cases on doubles and rocks, and NEVER dropped a chain once? Yeah but it weighs like 300g instead of 180g so it's basically un-useable for most people :P

The chainguide design was solved a LONGGGG time ago despite what many of these companies would have you believe. But sadly there is no money to be made in riders like me I guess?

I've just seen more problems than successes with the lg1 style guides. Yeah they work fine most of the time. But I'd rather have my bike be 50-100g heavier and work ALL the time. So call me skeptical.

Last edited:

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
You mean my 4 year old "old school" mrp (with the 2 rollers) with a proper bash that is more oval than circle now, been on 2 bikes, about 1 million feet of vert, seen about 100 50-50 cases on doubles and rocks, and NEVER dropped a chain once? Yeah but it weighs like 300g instead of 180g so it's basically un-useable for most people :P

The chainguide design was solved a LONGGGG time ago despite what many of these companies would have you believe. But sadly there is no money to be made in riders like me I guess?

I've just seen more problems than successes with the lg1 style guides. Yeah they work fine most of the time. But I'd rather have my bike be 50-100g heavier and work ALL the time. So call me skeptical.
so this mean that taco design is garbage..
You seems to be very clever!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've said this before, but a quick look at the condition of my SRS bashguard would indicate I've managed to put dings in it all the way around. Putting a taco on that only works in one foot position might work for some riders, maybe most riders, but not for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've said this before, but a quick look at the condition of my SRS bashguard would indicate I've managed to put dings in it all the way around. Putting a taco on that only works in one foot position might work for some riders, maybe most riders, but not for me.
Seriously. My bashguards are also equal opportunity consumables. Sometimes opposite footing just happens. And when it does, it's usually messier.

I guess I'm also the only person left on the planet that likes a 40t ring on their dh bike huh?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

you live in socal and hate tacos? you are a failure of a human being.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco

project_d

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
SoCal
Use the taco style chainguide, case a jump or rock, bend or break an ISCG tab, and your frame will not be warrantied. At least that's the case with one Special manufacturer.

My Gamut chainguide might be a small bit heavier, but it gives me confidence, which helps me go just a tiny bit faster (which is still slow).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I got my last guide I specifically got the SRS w/no taco. Maybe 100g heavier? Whatever. Slamming on rocks all day long in AZ was not the right use for taco-guides. That SRS was dialed. Never a complaint.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Just to be clear, this is not a "taco style" guide. That refers to a little taco shaped bash that mounts to the ISCG tabs and puts the stress of impacts on the frame. This is a crank mounted bash that's lighter than a full circle and only provides protection on the side of the chainring that is usually down. It can be replaced with full circle bashes made by Shimano or others or not used at all. The guide part is independent of the bash.

The spring loaded aspect of the lower guide is unnecessary and a potential source of problems, should just be fixed in place.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Just to be clear, this is not a "taco style" guide. That refers to a little taco shaped bash that mounts to the ISCG tabs and puts the stress of impacts on the frame. This is a crank mounted bash that's lighter than a full circle and only provides protection on the side of the chainring that is usually down. It can be replaced with full circle bashes made by Shimano or others or not used at all. The guide part is independent of the bash.

The spring loaded aspect of the lower guide is unnecessary and a potential source of problems, should just be fixed in place.
^this. just thought everyone in here gone total retard. this is no news at all, was all long introduced with all the other saint parts back in summer. some ppl have a really short attention span...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I put balancing weights on my chainring to make sure it rotates at it's optimal efficiency, this part is not for me.

If you ride with either left or right foot forward put two bashies on, if the spring breaks put a bolt through it and lock it in place, for what is supposed to be an extreme sport we do come across like a bunch of whiny little bitches.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I put balancing weights on my chainring to make sure it rotates at it's optimal efficiency, this part is not for me.

If you ride with either left or right foot forward put two bashies on, if the spring breaks put a bolt through it and lock it in place, for what is supposed to be an extreme sport we do come across like a bunch of whiny little bitches.
'extreme?'

Downhillers have outfits these days.

I'm sure you could just run one 'normal' bashguard instead of the little bmx thing it comes with. Since it's a new piece that kind of negates buying one over something else though. Especially if you want a rigid lower guide that's not spring loaded.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Straitline weights the same as lg1 and has all the advantages of oldschool guide, if not more.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Over-engineered, IMO. Too many moving parts, spring, etc. I will keep my "****ty" LG1+ for the next season ;)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Straitline weights the same as lg1 and has all the advantages of oldschool guide, if not more.
The SRS+ weighs 25g more than the LG1+ and is pretty much indestructible in my experience. I bent two or three LG1 backplates before chucking the SRS+ on. Since then it hasn't needed a moments notice.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The SRS+ weighs 25g more than the LG1+ and is pretty much indestructible in my experience. I bent two or three LG1 backplates before chucking the SRS+ on. Since then it hasn't needed a moments notice.
The backplate on the SRS+ is thicker than on lg1?

I know my silent guide is indestructible. I thought I was done for then I drifted with my bash into a big rock from the inside but I only needed 2 new screws and the guide still worked. Also the sliders are in my opinion a way better solution.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The backplate on the SRS+ is thicker than on lg1?
No, it just doesn't have to deal with bashguard impact forces like the LG1's does.

That said, and for all the LG1 hate going around in this thread, I've been rocking an LG1+ for a few years now and like it - I did break one taco but I beat the hell out of it and had an overly low BB at the time, the replacement just did a full season all over BC and is still kicking. It's very light but cleverly designed, removing shear forces from a lot of hardware to allow weight reduction in areas while maintaining strength.

That said, I think the SRS+ is a very nice guide and only weighs 30g more (211g vs 181g according to SL). I'd happily run one.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I know my silent guide is indestructible. I thought I was done for then I drifted with my bash into a big rock from the inside but I only needed 2 new screws and the guide still worked. Also the sliders are in my opinion a way better solution.
Yup. This. 123.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
New Gamut with the slider thing seems pretty trick also. Kinda Straitline inspired but with plastic bashguard.

Anybody run one yet??