Quantcast

shimano disc braided steel hose

yearoftiger

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bay Area
hey , does anyone have any experience with shimano xt hydraulic steel braided hoses? Are they as good as goodridge lines? They're pretty inexpensive so i might get a pair if they're good.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I never used goodridge, but used the shimano braided a lot. They really destroy frame paint, they kink somewhat easily if not mounted correctly, but they do give the brake a nice crispy feel-if that makes any sense.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
My experience is very different than stik's. I have 3 sets of shimano hydros and have had 4 of the stainless lines. They were TERRIBLE. I never experienced a nice crispy feel with them. It always felt like there was air in the lines no matter how many times i bled them, and I had these set up on two different bikes with different hoses. I switched to bh61/bh60 shimano resin lines and never looked back.

My 4 piston xt's with 8" rotors, bh61 lines and grc lever blades on my Turner DHR are the best brakes i've ever tried. Most people say the same thing when they try my bike.

Oh yeah and they do destroy paint in a heartbeat.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
i think i read somewhere that they werent as densly weaved as the goodridge lines soo any performance increase by runnig braided lines as opposed to resin ones was neglagble. if i were you id just get the resin ones or if youve got a hole burning in your pocket then plum for the goodridges as theyll be the last pair of hoses youll by

if you do a search then youll get a lot more info.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I've had the opposite experience with the stainless lines for both Shimano and Hayes brakes then Stik. I find them to be much mushier than the standard resin lines. I remember that they used to sell (or people perceived it) it as the brakes modulated better but it was just flex in the hose.

I've had no experience with goodridge lines but have heard that they are better than the other stainless lines. I don't think I'd ever spend the money to go to them however.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
i dunno what they are over there but over here theyre only 30 quid an end and for worry free hydraulic brake lines that aint ever gonna cause you a problem and that you can move from one set of brakes to another they are pretty damn good if you ask me./

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
BH62/63 Resin Hoses are $20 each and Goodridge are $50 each. I've had no problems with Shimano resin hoses, but I've heard great things about the goodridges. Just don't skimp out and get the shimano braided.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I am running Shimano XT 4 piston calipers with Shimano levers. The front has a Goodridge hose and the rear has the standard XT steel braided hose. The Goodridge is light years ahead of the XT. To me it just feels stronger in all areas. Better modulation AND better power. And the Goodridge lines are plastic coated so they don't scratch the frame. I am getting one for the rear as soon a I can afford it.

XT 4 pistons with Goodridge lines are awsome brakes.

Also, the Goodridge hoses are worth it. Try this: Get your S.O., your mom and dad or whoever to buy you a set for X-Mas for one bike. By summer I'll bet you have them on at least one other bike. Expensive but if you figure the fact that they last a long time, and that your brakes are one of the most important parts on your bike it makes it seem more worth the cost.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
CreeP said:
has anyone used the hope braided and any other braided hose on the same brake? I think i've got a pinhole in my hope.
I have not used the Hope hose, but from what I understand it will work. Contact Go-Ride and tell them what your dilemma is and they will find you a solution. Good folks there at Go-Ride.Com...

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
The braided stainless Shimano line are terrible. They make a great set of disc brakes feel like crap. Shimano's plastic lines work wonderfully, and allow their brakes to perform at their potential.
Night and day difference between the lines on the same set of brakes.
I have also tried Jagwire's plastic lines for Shimano brakes and they were worse than the braided steel lines.
I do hear good things about Goodridge lines, but I've been so happy with the new Shimano lines that I haven't been able to justify the $.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1soulrider said:
The braided stainless Shimano line are terrible. They make a great set of disc brakes feel like crap. Shimano's plastic lines work wonderfully, and allow their brakes to perform at their potential.
what he said.

I have 4-piston XTs on both my bikes. I was never able to get a 'great feeling' with the stock braided lines. I tried wrapping them in tape to (1) save my frame/fork and (2) decrease the visible swelling to no avail.

I swapped them for cutable plastic XTR line and immediately felt a night/day improvement. Jenson has the 1700mm kits on sale for $10 right now. I just ran a new rear line on my rfx.

I have a few different lengths of the stock braided line in the garage that you (aor anyone) is welcome to if you'd like them.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I swear I am not trying to be 'cool guy' here, but perhaps the reason my braided lined brakes always felt bad ass is the hoses I got from shimano were not the boxed aftermarket ones, I got all of mine from the shimano engineers and I will assume it was different after reading all the posts that the braided felt mushy. I still have a set on my wifes old slalom bike and when the brakes contact rotor, its the hardest hit ever, no mush.

BTW, I am selling some black shimano lines in the classifieds
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132242

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
twist them the opposite way to the way theyre twisted
or screw the fitting into the hose as opposed to screwing the hose onto the fitting