Quantcast

Shimano hub thru axle question

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Any chance you can convert a Deore hub to a 12mm thru axle? Strange request I know, but a friend is giving me a set of Sun MTX wheels from his old Stinky so I can finish building my Sluggo hardtail (which requires a 12x135mm rear wheel).

I thought I once read that you can do the conversion with the Hone axle kit, but I haven't been able to find that information again.

Thoughts?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Hello.

Converting such a hub into a 12mm through-axle unit is not possible.

Sure, you can embark on a spendy route through a machine shop to convert it to a 12mm unit with sealed bearings, but that would cost a hell of a lot more compared to just buying a new hub.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Hello.

Converting such a hub into a 12mm through-axle unit is not possible.

Sure, you can embark on a spendy route through a machine shop to convert it to a 12mm unit with sealed bearings, but that would cost a hell of a lot more compared to just buying a new hub.
Pretty much what I figured, but I thought I'd throw it out there and hope someone had some magic! :D

Thanks!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It actually can sort of be done, depending on how your frame is set up. This won't work for, say, a Maxle bike, but if you've got a lathe all it takes is a long solid 10mm axle in place of the normal one, and a little spacer on each side to make the section of the axle that would fit in the dropout 12mm, and you're in business. Just use a normal 10mm nut on each end and you're in business.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
It actually can sort of be done, depending on how your frame is set up. This won't work for, say, a Maxle bike, but if you've got a lathe all it takes is a long solid 10mm axle in place of the normal one, and a little spacer on each side to make the section of the axle that would fit in the dropout 12mm, and you're in business. Just use a normal 10mm nut on each end and you're in business.
Interesting idea. It could work, but I think in the end it would end up costing me more since I don't have access to a machine shop.

I just need to suck it up and get a set of Outlaws or something.

Thanks for the input!!:thumb:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Yup. Not quite how I'd do mine, but the general idea's the same.
Cool, thanks for the help! +rep to you!

As luck would have it, I am apparently getting a set of new wheels for my birthday :thumb: So problem solved!! :D

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Great success. Whatcha getting?
You'll see, I'm going to post pics when its all said and done :D Don't want to say yet, because its not 100% set in stone...

Its going to be ridiculous, that's all I can say!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Are those for the Sluggo? If so, that has to be the most awesomely bombproof bike in the history of ever.

I'd love a DH hardtail like that if I had money and space for it. Guess I'm going to have to settle for a road, XC, DJ, AM and DH bike though. Woe is me.

I expect pics.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Are those for the Sluggo? If so, that has to be the most awesomely bombproof bike in the history of ever.

I'd love a DH hardtail like that if I had money and space for it. Guess I'm going to have to settle for a road, XC, DJ, AM and DH bike though. Woe is me.

I expect pics.
Yup, for the Sluggo.

This is going to be my only bike for awhile, except for my road commuter. Funds are tight, got these on a killer deal.

Oh yes, there will be pics :thumb: So far, Sherman fork, TAG wheels, Mr. Dirt chainguide, steel cranks...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yup, for the Sluggo.

This is going to be my only bike for awhile, except for my road commuter. Funds are tight, got these on a killer deal.

Oh yes, there will be pics :thumb: So far, Sherman fork, TAG wheels, Mr. Dirt chainguide, steel cranks...
So much awesome.

For me I'm picturing a custom steel number, singlespeed, with a Monster T and Arrow rims on Hadleys. Or something like that. Basically I want a bike I can go beat the snot out of and not have to do much maintenance on ever. My current DH bike rips, and is hardly what you'd call flimsy, but it does take a bit to keep it running.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
So much awesome.

For me I'm picturing a custom steel number, singlespeed, with a Monster T and Arrow rims on Hadleys. Or something like that. Basically I want a bike I can go beat the snot out of and not have to do much maintenance on ever. My current DH bike rips, and is hardly what you'd call flimsy, but it does take a bit to keep it running.
The friend who sold me this frame had another Sluggo with a Monster T on it, it was pretty sick. Pretty much indestructible. Handled like a dump truck though.

I'm pretty sure this will be similar.
I just wanted a bike that I can beat the hell out of and not worry about. I figure this should do the trick.

Kurbow

Chimp
Aug 8, 2010
Was it sealed? pretty sure it has and 15m and 17m nut on both sides. I recently just converted my shimano hub to thru axle. Just call them up tell them the part number and ask for a thread pitch count and length. Then order a axle.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Was it sealed? pretty sure it has and 15m and 17m nut on both sides. I recently just converted my shimano hub to thru axle. Just call them up tell them the part number and ask for a thread pitch count and length. Then order a axle.
Bolt on != through axle.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Sweet. Looks like a tank.
Thanks.
Yes, it is a tank. About 40 lbs, rock solid.
I did an XC ride with it yesterday, actually did pretty good. With all that weight and the stiff wheels, you can take any line you want really, just have to hold on.

Jumps well too.