Quantcast

Shimano m8000 Brakes

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I only have a few very short rides on them, pretty much just breaking them in, and I'd say yay.
They're strong, modulate better than 785 (hopefully as good as my Saints) and are already damn cheap. The MC and clamp is minimal and clean, I love this style of lever, and they look great.

You buy. You buy now!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I only have a few very short rides on them, pretty much just breaking them in, and I'd say yay.
They're strong, modulate better than 785 (hopefully as good as my Saints) and are already damn cheap. The MC and clamp is minimal and clean, I love this style of lever, and they look great.

You buy. You buy now!
Thanks! I will probably order some this weekend.

$150 per brake, with a rotor and caliper adapter from Chain Reaction.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well that's enough convincing for me. They are on the way. I'm hoping it doesn't dump snow before they show up..

Last edited:

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
The feel and power (and cost) are all good.

Let's hope that Shimano has the leaky caliper situation from previous gen. XT brakes in check now.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Just realized that I selected the free tracked shipping option, instead of the other free option. Now this stuff is being sent across the ocean via DHL. :banghead:

Not only will my stuff probably not show up, but I'll most likely be charged import duties. :imstupid::imstupid::imstupid:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Just realized that I selected the free tracked shipping option, instead of the other free option. Now this stuff is being sent across the ocean via DHL. :banghead:

Not only will my stuff probably not show up, but I'll most likely be charged import duties. :imstupid::imstupid::imstupid:
chainreaction always sends my stuff DHL, they always bill me for custom duties, I've yet to pay the bill and always called them and told them to kiss off, maybe you can be so lucky?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
chainreaction always sends my stuff DHL, they always bill me for custom duties, I've yet to pay the bill and always called them and told them to kiss off, maybe you can be so lucky?
The MOAR free way is via the postal service.

Your bill has never been sent to collections? I did that with some obscene FedEx charge a few years ago and after a few months I started getting calls from a debt collection agency..

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
maybe I've gotten lucky? I always get the bill after I already ahve my stuff

*edit* saw you posted while I was posting.

I have not been sent to collections, I called DHL and said tough luck, you should have told me you were charging me for customs before you delivered my stuff.

Again, maybe I got lucky or I really did get sent to collections and don't know it?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
maybe I've gotten lucky? I always get the bill after I already ahve my stuff

*edit* saw you posted while I was posting.

I have not been sent to collections, I called DHL and said tough luck, you should have told me you were charging me for customs before you delivered my stuff.

Again, maybe I got lucky or I really did get sent to collections and don't know it?
That is odd that they dropped off your without demanding payment. That's their loss, then!

I will for sure try your method. Assuming my stuff actually shows up; DHL isn't the most reliable shipping company up here.

Ship it now.
I'm trying, I'm trying!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Got to try these out for the first time today.

Right off the bat, they felt great. No regrets spending the cash replacing those Avid's, even though I had just put new pads in and got new Avid rotors.

I even managed to cut the brake lines way back when and didn't bleed them after. Still feel great.

I really like the lever feel, it is solid and doesn't "squish" in like how the Avids felt.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Anyone have any problems with these?

Had a bit of an oops, going over a large rock pile today. One stray rock sent me off into the rhubarb, so I had to grab the front brake super hard to actually stop before taking a tumble further down the ravine. The brake worked awesome, but the next time I used it further down the trail, I'm pretty sure the lever went right to the bar. I gave it a few pumps and all seemed good to go after. No further issues for another 1-2 hours of riding.

Anyone experience that before?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Front brake is pulling to the bar on almost every ride now. It seems to only happen when I'm rattling down a hill or after I flip the bike upside down.

I'm hoping it is just air somewhere in the line. I didn't bleed them after cutting the lines shorter.

They've been awesome otherwise.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Who woulda' thought, bleeding them seems to have fixed all my problems. Also stuck new pads in. First time I've ever blown through a set of pads in less than half a season.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I guess Resin, my metal ones lasted one full season incl. a week long trip with ~15k m vert drop and lots of nightriding in snowy conditions.