Quantcast

shimano pedal rebuild

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
If these are set up the same way as 636's, you need a special tool. Basically, it's the exact same principle as cone wrenches on a Shimano hub (and you rebuild it the same way - remove cones, grease bearings, readjust cones), but because it's down inside the pedal, you need these special socket wrenches to hit the cones and fixing nuts.

Basically, it's a 11mm socket that has an 8mm nested inside it, or something along those lines.

SH-PD63 is the tool number for use with 636's. I tried doing a rebuild without the tool and it was damn near impossible. The tool makes it childs' play...

hopefully this link works:

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=575323818465&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Pedal&tc=Axle/Bearing Tools&item_id=SH-TL-PD63
Item #SH-TL-PD63: .Similar in design to the standard XT(SH-TL-PD73) pedal service tool but longer in order to reach the bearings in Shimano M636 and other downhill and BMX pedals. Two-piece tool has a 7 & 8mm socket, locknut wrench (inner), and a 10 & 11mm adjusting nut wrench (outer).

Edit- and if they're not like the 636/other Shimano peds, then I wasted a lot of time writing all that out, huh. Ohwell.

Chinaboy

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Williams Lake, BC
OMG!! where was this info a month ago? I got so frustrated with my pedals, I couldn't get them back together....ended up throwing one pedal into the lake i was so po'd!!
now i find out there is a special tool!!

I love this site!! learning new @#$@ all the time!!!
Thanks.