Quantcast

Shimano Saint friendly 220/223 rotors?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Anyone know or try larger rotors that worked well with Shimano Saint brakes?

I've tried NOS Hayes 223 rotors that sucked. When they really heated up the grinding noise was annoying, not to mention the feeling I was getting through the brake levers. I only run metal brake pads.

There are Galfer rotors that people claim are decent and they are those cool looking Magura 220 rotors too. I've tried 200mm Sram centerline rotors before but I got that grinding feel from them too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Fitted the largest (220/223) sram, magura and galfer rotors to a few bikes. With various brakes. All with sintered pads. (it's Scotland Ken?) Haven't heard any complaints

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Been running Formula 220 with success with DRT on organic pads as well as 4-pot XTs on sintered pads - worked in both scenarios.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i would assume this would work:

If it's 1.8, its going to be like a floppy disc. Magura and others make 2.0, which is probably a better starting point.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have the MDR-P and -C, although the solid one is 203 and in the rear. The “floating” has back and forth play now, but its 3 seasons old (used heavy for a season then retired to diff bike that doesnt see as hard use). The solid has a lot of reinforcing metal for stiffness and seems decent.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Anyone know or try larger rotors that worked well with Shimano Saint brakes?

I've tried NOS Hayes 223 rotors that sucked. When they really heated up the grinding noise was annoying, not to mention the feeling I was getting through the brake levers. I only run metal brake pads.

There are Galfer rotors that people claim are decent and they are those cool looking Magura 220 rotors too. I've tried 200mm Sram centerline rotors before but I got that grinding feel from them too.
You reckon the grinding feel is from the ventilation holes/slots or just the surface on those rotors?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You reckon the grinding feel is from the ventilation holes/slots or just the surface on those rotors?
I don't know. I always used Shimano's ice-tech rotors so I figured it had something to do with how they were made, compared to Sram's regular steel rotors. With the Hayes rotors, I figured it was just because they were super old and just didn't withstand the heat from the metal brake pads.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Man i just use Aliexpress cenrelines at 203mm. 1.9mm thick. Recycle them when a bit of wear shows on the verniers. At 17 kangaroos for 2 im happy. Brosnan had a laugh at that, then proceeded to tell me centrelines are his favourite disc.
A couple season old 2-2.3mm discs arent that width anymore id guess.
Oh and Cooma gold pads and toss when 3/4 worn, throw in freshies at $4 kangaroos a pop. Stop well enough with maguras to keep me happy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
So are AliXpress centrelines really 203mm versus the 200mm of genuine SRAM centrelines?
and do the Ali rotors have the rounded edge that the genuine ones have?

Last edited: