Quantcast

Shimano Saints VS Avid Codes...your choice?

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
like some others mentioned. bleeding avids are a pain, its not as easy as the shimanos, which are pretty much idiot proof if you have ever bled brakes before. i went from hayes to avids to formulas and finally to shimanos and i like the shimanos the best so far.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
After a few years with Shimano brakes, and a few months with Avid Juicy Carbons, I'm not going to be buying Avid again. The need for an entire bleed kit, rather than just a bottle of mineral oil, and the fact that every person I've ever talked to has said the Avids are pain in the ass to bleed, will have me buying some Saint or XT brakes in the near future.

Honestly, I can't control the power of the Juicy's, and if the Codes are more powerful, I'd never want to deal with them. The Shimanos have always been a great brake, cheap and easy to work on, with replacement parts available everywhere I've needed them, on two separate continents.

I'll take your juicy's Jeff :cheers:
-Josef

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
That was actually an honest question.

I'm curious as to what high maintenance means because I haven't had to do jack sh1t to any of my shimanos. That's a big reason I'm happy with them.
I am guessing that he is judging Shimano's maintenance record off of my experiences w/ saints and his test rides on my bikes, as we ride to gether frequently, him on Juicy's me on Saints. My stuff goes clackity clack before his in general.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Some one please tell me how avids are hard to bleed, you upen the bleed screws put on 2 half full syringes and push the oil back and forth, close 1 up at a time and done in literaly 5 minuts.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
ah okai, first set of stars is as far as my deutsch knowledge goes, durability, second set of starts is for power, third is modulation, and the last set of stars is for ease of maitenance.

the little graph, well, higher the curve goes, the better power, the steeper it is, the less modulation.

freakrock

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Santiago de Chile
i'll translate some words for you guys

standfestigkeit= stability
bremskraft= brake power
dosierbarkeit= modulation
montage/wartung= assembly/maiteinance

bewertung= evaluation
mit shcwächen= it fades
befriedigend= satisfactory