Quantcast

Shimano shifter, removable indicator

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ok, been trying to find out, but what do I need to remove the indicator, cant seem to find anything on teh SHimano site, nor in any of the books I have at the shop. I see its easy to remove it and work on it, but with it removed, it would seem I need a different cover for the shifter. Anyone know for sure exactly what needs to be done short of just cutting the indicator off??? Possibly a part number for a different cover that does not have the indicator???

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I have been running mine with no top, took indicator off, thats it, guess it will get dirt in it, but its been fine for the year i have been running it like this.

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
that would be cool if thre was a cover. i would still have my indicator on though. and still do.

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
I used a few strips of duct tape to cover the exposed bolt holes on my xt shifters. Not very sexy but seems to be keeping the dirt and whatnot out fine.

If the internals are fully exposed on your shifters though, you probably want something more substantial.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Which Shimano shifter?

xt Rapid fire plus

I used a few strips of duct tape to cover the exposed bolt holes on my xt shifters. Not very sexy but seems to be keeping the dirt and whatnot out fine.

If the internals are fully exposed on your shifters though, you probably want something more substantial.
Yeah I have the shift indicator on it now because I want to keep crap out of it, Its supposed to be removable, which i wanted so I could run it to the right of the brake lever instead, I like my brake levers pretty far inboard.

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
I cut a out a piece of plastic and use the indicator cover screws to attach it and cover the hole.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
If its a newer model, look at the underside of the indicator. Not sure what year they started it, but a cover is on the backside of that. It just rotates off, and bolts right on to the shifter.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
sounds like a job for duct tape. I took mine off and have been running it for over a year without a cover I'm sure there is some gunk inside but it doesn't seem to be affecting performance.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I would call Shimano and see if they can send you one. There was thread on MTBR on how to remove the indicator and install the cover but I can't find it. If memory was correct it is pretty straight forward.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Same as others, I removed the indicator on my slightly older XT shifter and put some tape over the top. It's been like that for maybe 2 or 3 seasons without any problems.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I would call Shimano and see if they can send you one. There was thread on MTBR on how to remove the indicator and install the cover but I can't find it. If memory was correct it is pretty straight forward.
Yeah I am going to give the shimano rep a call wed morning see what he can hook it up with......Sorry guys, no tape for me, little too ghetto.