Quantcast

Shimano/Sram Brake Adapaters

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
My bike comes with Guides & 200mm Sram rotors. I'm gonna replace them with XTR Trails and 203mm RT86 rotors. Can I use the Sram caliper adapters or would Shimano adapters put the caliper in a slightly different place? The frame & fork are both 7" post mount.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm running one bike with guides and 203mm (non sram) rotors and using shimano adapters. If you wanted to re-use your 200mm Guide adapters I'd have thought you'd want 1.5mm of washers under the caliper to space it out to match the 203mm rotor to give the caliper correct clearance. (you might get away with it though)
Shimano adapters are really cheap here ~ £5. I'd probably just order a set. if only to save looking for the washers when I forget about them when removing a caliper in a car park/my kitchen.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, your adapters for 200mm worrie will need to be shimmed out 1.5mm to work on a 203mm.

Magura makes a better adapter for that setup IMO, because it uses tot sets of bolts so that the ones fixing the caliper to the adapter go totally perpendicular to the mounting face on the caliper. It's not a huge deal or anything, but it does mean that the caliper isn't as prone to moving when you tighten it down, as compared to the style of adapter that uses two long bolts. Just a little easier to use.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I've got two new 203mm Shimano adapters I bought for a build two years ago and discovered they were unneeded. If you're in Breck it won't take long for USPS to roll along I-70 with them, a few bucks and postage is all I'd be after. I'll go dig out the part number on them if interested.