Quantcast

Shimano XC pedals for DH?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone tried it? I'm running 646s right now, and they're cool, but weigh about as much as a small moon, and I'm good enough at getting clipped in and out of them fast that I don't really ever end up on them not clipped in. Seems like I can probably save myself quite a bit of weight with something like 540s. Only real concern is how they're going to hold them up to getting smashed into rocks all the time. Thoughts?

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I've used 520's for AM for a few years, and the durability wouldn't be my concern, it would be the lack of a platform. With no platform, it's easier to unclip inadvertently through rough sections.
If you want to drop some weight, I'd maybe look at the XTR trail pedals, or try out Crank Brothers. Although the CB's don't last as long as Shimano, my experience is not that they spontaneously combust 5 minutes into riding like the internetz suggests.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Been there, done that with CB. Pass. XTR Trails look cool but they're mega expensive.

I'm trying to see how the lack of platform would lead to accidentally clipping out? Elaborate? It's not like CB where you can make them unclip by hitting the bottom of the pedal.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Been there, done that with CB. Pass. XTR Trails look cool but they're mega expensive.

I'm trying to see how the lack of platform would lead to accidentally clipping out? Elaborate? It's not like CB where you can make them unclip by hitting the bottom of the pedal.
With no platform, my foot tended to rotate slightly when hitting something hard, which sometimes led to clipping out when I didn't want to. I have described it before as feeling like pedaling steel balls instead of pedals. A platform gives your shoe support, which reduces the tendency to rotate during a hard hit.

Now, if you're using shoes like the MP66, it probably won't be as bad, since what I'm talking about was when I used Sidi's on the trail bike.

Then again, you can get a set of SPD's cheap and try it out. I know that setup does work for some.

Back to your original question, I don't think the durability will be a big issue. I bashed a pair of 520's into countless rocks on my 6" bike for a couple years and they still worked fine.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
HAB - not that I'm riding the same type of stuff, but have been using 520/540 or other variations off and on for years. No trouble.

Get some and don't sweat it. They are plenty durable enough.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Think I'll give 'em a go. If they suck I'll go back to the 646s and use them on one of my trail bikes. Thanks all.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
the big issue I've found with using Dh spd shoes on smaller clips like the 520/540/ blah blah blah is that the flex in that type of shoe gives me sore feet much quicker. The smaller pedals work well better with a stiffer soled shoe.
thats not to say it won't work and your feet may not be as delicate as mine. Also I do notice that all of the casual type or dh spd shoes lose their stiffness after a year or 2. My XC shoes last til they fall apart, but I change dh shoes way way more often.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Are you racing?
They work just fine as long as you don't have any emergency foot plants that you can't slow down and recover.

Time ATAC are a nice compromise. Slender pedal design and just enough to support you in an emergency.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Are you racing?
They work just fine as long as you don't have any emergency foot plants that you can't slow down and recover.

Time ATAC are a nice compromise. Slender pedal design and just enough to support you in an emergency.
Pretty much all the racing I do is against people who don't know we're racing. I like to ride fast but racing doesn't do it for me for whatever reason. Having to slow down to clip back in would piss me off . Don't think it'll really be an issue though.