Quantcast

shimano XT brakes for downhill?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
As @Udi mentioned.
An old trick is to run one organic and one metallic.
You have to keep an eye on them as they do wear at different rates.
As well, swap the pads side to side to help with rotor wear.
I still have this setup on one of my bikes with late series Magura Louise BAT's.
This gives you a bit of what is best of both, whilst helping to alleviate the weakness of the other.

One other thing I find helps a bit when swapping pads - old-school, and no idea if politically correct but....

A quick scuff of the rotors with emery cloth followed by an alcohol wipe. Slowly spin the wheel in place and watch your fingers. Pads may get a swipe across a bit of emery cloth on a very flat surface ( I use the cast iron table of my table saw) to clean up any glazing, uneven wear or chipping. Don't forget to break the leading edge slightly if you do resurface the pads to help prevent said chipping. After they are reinstalled, do a break-in procedure, they should come on pretty quick unless you did too much sanding from correcting a badly unevenly worn pad for example.

HTH - Good luck.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
While we're on the topic of shimano @Udi will zee levers + saint levers be ok? I don't do very long descents but I'm 90 kg (trying to loose weight). As always I'm on a limited budget but some local fb sellers have a pair of zee levers for about $54 and a pair of saint calipers for $105 and I can buy them separately so I don't pay all at once.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
having had very few issues with two pair of m820 Saints ... I sure like these 2-pot Formula Curas on my trail bike. Different feel for certain, but really good so far.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
have you ridden those things?

marshmallow engagement
I have the Quadiems and well, they do feel like marshmellows when they engage...albeit, semi-petrified marshmellows that I think are superior to any Shimano brake I've ever used or felt. Albeit, I'm using metal Shimano pads, so I don't know if that really makes a big difference, but mine feel super close to a well operating set of Zees in terms of power but without the harsh on/off feel.

You still keen on those Curas? Seems like a few others have liked them, but I was shit scared of any Formula product based on their previous efforts (and yes, I'm aware that I'm trusting my life to a Tektro product, but RJ himself has blessed them with his holy endorsement).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have the Quadiems and well, they do feel like marshmellows when they engage...albeit, semi-petrified marshmellows that I think are superior to any Shimano brake I've ever used or felt. Albeit, I'm using metal Shimano pads, so I don't know if that really makes a big difference, but mine feel super close to a well operating set of Zees in terms of power but without the harsh on/off feel.

You still keen on those Curas? Seems like a few others have liked them, but I was shit scared of any Formula product based on their previous efforts (and yes, I'm aware that I'm trusting my life to a Tektro product, but RJ himself has blessed them with his holy endorsement).
If you like the TRPs, you shouldn't ride my brakes (saint levers with cura calipers for dh, xt levers with cura calipers on trail bike).

They're punchier than any shimano. You'd probably front flip in the parking lot.

But yeah, digging them in that configuration. A lot.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Trp brakes feel like shit. Especially if you're used to shimanos
Goddammit.

After about a dozen or so rides, I’m afraid I have to concede that you told me so.

My friend and I swapped bikes for a half a descent just today. He’s got XTs. I warned him he’d think my brakes were broken.

Although his could have used a bleed, they simply seem to work better.

His bike (a Bronson) felt like shit compared to mine, but his brakes felt better. He told me to throw my TRPs in the trash.

My Quadiems “modulate” great, but the amount of effort you need to put adequate
braking power through the lever is clearly much more than is required on a set of regular 3 year old XT brakes.

I guess I’m just not man enough for TRPs, clearly.

Now the question is: to install these:
7720D791-43BD-4910-8A06-864BAB4C0A70.jpeg

Or get Nick to find me some of those 4 pot Curas.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
“Modulation” is the marketing term for brakes that work poorly.

My current Codes are working fine, but they don’t bite like XTs...
They don’t fade like XTs either due to 4pot, not to mention the long term issues all Shimano apparently have. :disgust1:

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
“Modulation” is the marketing term for brakes that work poorly.
Indeed. Isn’t that what your brain is for?

(Pardon me while I damage it further with another delicious but snobby 6.8% IPA)

Although, @big-ted (who’s brain is way less damaged) seems to like his Codes so far.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If you like the TRPs, you shouldn't ride my brakes (saint levers with cura calipers for dh, xt levers with cura calipers on trail bike).

They're punchier than any shimano. You'd probably front flip in the parking lot.

Ha. Well. I have a set of Saints staring me in the face I stripped of my DH bike. I have a set of brakes that Gwin loves that I can dump on my DH bike and sell to a Whistlimmigrant next spring and move on.

My XTRs sure are pretty, and I wish I could quit them, but they keep Brokebacking me.

So, Saint levers on Cura?

Cura levers on Saint?

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
As I dick around with these, it seems the lever feel varies greatly with the position of the lever. Firmness of the contact point seems to fall with closer proximity to the lever.

I guess this means they’re not so well suited for smaller handed folk. I had read this observation in one of the reviews I’d read, but that was more of a lever length observation rather than a position observation.

I didn’t quite understand why hand size would affect the performance of the brake at the time, but I think I see what they meant now.

I still don’t understand why the position in the stroke would affect power. Tapered shape of the master cylinder?

Pretty important distinction, I’d say.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
As I dick around with these, it seems the lever feel varies greatly with the position of the lever. Firmness of the contact point seems to fall with closer proximity to the lever.

I guess this means they’re not so well suited for smaller handed folk. I had read this observation in one of the reviews I’d read, but that was more of a lever length observation rather than a position observation.

I didn’t quite understand why hand size would affect the performance of the brake at the time, but I think I see what they meant now.

I still don’t understand why the position in the stroke would affect power. Tapered shape of the master cylinder?

Pretty important distinction, I’d say.
Ive got short fingers. After so many people telling me it didn't matter if you shorten the reach of the levers. I wound the reach all the way out and bent in the levers carefully towards the bar, then I only needed to adjust a little. Now I have powerful brakes that fit right.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Indeed. Isn’t that what your brain is for?

(Pardon me while I damage it further with another delicious but snobby 6.8% IPA)

Although, @big-ted (who’s brain is way less damaged) seems to like his Codes so far.
Hey now. Don't drag me into your terrible brake-buying decisions... My Code's are 'ok' so far. A bit lacking in initial bight vs. my XTs and lever throw seems to increase on long descents, but I'm hoping metallic pad and a bleed will help on both fronts. The need for another bleed adapter on top of the full Shimano and older Avid kits I have already can get stuffed, however.

Besides, admit it, bleeding brakes is a hobby of yours at this point.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
FYI .... I discovered that the syringe fitting on my mineral oil Formula bleed kit screws right into the threaded MC bleed port on my XT levers. I was able to draw a vacuum on the XTs and get them Super Bled ®

(although it'll be temporary, I'm sure)

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD

I know the answer to this is probably in the franken-brake thread, but are you running the two-piston or 4-piston cura calipers? what you have sounds exactly like what i am looking for. very little lever throw and a very firm bite point. my m8000 xts have been the best i have tried in this regard if i overbleed them (bleed with a sanded down bleed block). i just wish for a little more power out of them. my particular pair has been completely trouble free and are on their second bike. no issues with fade or inconsistent bite point.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
FYI .... I discovered that the syringe fitting on my mineral oil Formula bleed kit screws right into the threaded MC bleed port on my XT levers. I was able to draw a vacuum on the XTs and get them Super Bled ®

(although it'll be temporary, I'm sure)
whaaaaat . . . you don't enjoy installing the funnel and tap tap tapping the cylinder? :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I know the answer to this is probably in the franken-brake thread, but are you running the two-piston or 4-piston cura calipers? what you have sounds exactly like what i am looking for. very little lever throw and a very firm bite point. my m8000 xts have been the best i have tried in this regard if i overbleed them (bleed with a sanded down bleed block). i just wish for a little more power out of them. my particular pair has been completely trouble free and are on their second bike. no issues with fade or inconsistent bite point.
I'm not sure I'd say they're stronger than xts, just a little more binary on/off than xts due to the short piston throw. You could check out udi's spreadsheet to see if they really do clamp harder. They're close enough that I don't care. 4 piston curas don't exist yet. Should soon though. I'll be getting a pair and doing the same lever swap for my dh bike.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ha. Well. I have a set of Saints staring me in the face I stripped of my DH bike. I have a set of brakes that Gwin loves that I can dump on my DH bike and sell to a Whistlimmigrant next spring and move on.

My XTRs sure are pretty, and I wish I could quit them, but they keep Brokebacking me.

So, Saint levers on Cura?

Cura levers on Saint?

Shimano levers, formula calipers.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm not sure I'd say they're stronger than xts, just a little more binary on/off than xts due to the short piston throw. You could check out udi's spreadsheet to see if they really do clamp harder. They're close enough that I don't care. 4 piston curas don't exist yet. Should soon though. I'll be getting a pair and doing the same lever swap for my dh bike.
I recently got a set of the 4 pistons. They're great. Same feel at the Cura lever, moar powers, stupid light.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Nice... what’s the rollback like on the cura calipers? Do you need to have perfectly straight rotors and a laser to keep them from rubbing? Another thing I’ve always liked about XTs over Guides/Codes is how much they return away from the rotor.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Nice... what’s the rollback like on the cura calipers? Do you need to have perfectly straight rotors and a laser to keep them from rubbing? Another thing I’ve always liked about XTs over Guides/Codes is how much they return away from the rotor.
2 mm

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I recently got a set of the 4 pistons. They're great. Same feel at the Cura lever, moar powers, stupid light.
How is the power compared to the Saint? Man, it fucking pains me but the Saint is easily the best and most accessible yardstick by which to measure other brakes.