Quantcast

shimano XT brakes for downhill?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hey all, would anyone have a pair of dead xt brake lever that I could canibalize for parts? I'm specifically looking for a set of lever blade. I'm running zee levers with xt calipers and the stock lever don't get close enough to the bar for my trumpy hands. Well they do, but its not comfortable on long runs. Xt lever blade fits right in and I can get them where I like.
I have one lever

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
This is in line with my experience, and I love the modulation TRP offers compared to Saints. Consistent fade free engagement and power seals the deal.
Another satisfied TRP user. Haven't had them long but so far very happy with how solid they feel at the levers and the modulation. It's definitely a different feel from the shimanos I've been running for the last few years but I feel more in control riding at the limits of traction and have had no issues with lack of power. I do think these brakes take a really long time to bed in--mine still seem to be getting stronger and I've put ~60 miles on them so far (in addition to a bunch of hard stops to start the process). I've got the organic pads that they came with and was afraid they wouldn't have enough bite--now I'll just run these and replace with metalic when the time comes. Biggest gripe is that I like the ergonomics of the shimano levers a bit better and the TRPs take up more real estate on the bar. Fair trade off so far IMO.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My new to me bike came with TRP G-Specs. I can honestly say they are my most favorite brakes ever. I generally hate brakes with really strong initial bite and really appreciate good modulation. These things give me both, the power just comes on with a little extra lever pressure, but it doesn't take much, with fucked up thumbs my hands are pretty much my weak point on a bike. I might feel different if I took and angle grinder to my post mounts and mounted XC rotors.

They feel a lot like the brakes on my Triumph motorcycle. That being said the bike came with organic pads up front and metalics in the back. The front felt a little gooey and numb until I changed it out to metalic. I really feel like I have been riding with more speed and control because of these brakes.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
My new to me bike came with TRP G-Specs. I can honestly say they are my most favorite brakes ever. I generally hate brakes with really strong initial bite and really appreciate good modulation. These things give me both, the power just comes on with a little extra lever pressure, but it doesn't take much, with fucked up thumbs my hands are pretty much my weak point on a bike. I might feel different if I took and angle grinder to my post mounts and mounted XC rotors.

They feel a lot like the brakes on my Triumph motorcycle. That being said the bike came with organic pads up front and metalics in the back. The front felt a little gooey and numb until I changed it out to metalic. I really feel like I have been riding with more speed and control because of these brakes.
That's good to hear. I had the Quadiems for a bit, and I really wanted to love them. Alas, I felt they were weak vs. my Saints. I'm not 100% sure I gave them a fair shake pad-wise.

The combo of not-immediate satisfaction and a bro-deal on Maguras made me get rid of them.

The levers feel rock solid on those things. The return "thunk" is quite satisfying, eh? As is the reach adjuster detent click.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That's good to hear. I had the Quadiems for a bit, and I really wanted to love them. Alas, I felt they were weak vs. my Saints. I'm not 100% sure I gave them a fair shake pad-wise.

The combo of not-immediate satisfaction and a bro-deal on Maguras made me get rid of them.

The levers feel rock solid on those things. The return "thunk" is quite satisfying, eh? As is the reach adjuster detent click.
Solid as hell. I think that is in part why they feel like motorcycle brakes. The whole tactile experience with them is spot on.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...

That's been my experience with the Quadiems, albeit I've generally run them with metal pads. But if you're missing that Shimano experience, you can drop some brake fluid on the pads and/or switch good pads to almost worn out pads mid-ride (and back out the bite point).