Quantcast

Shimano XT issues

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Hey there. So I'm running an XT setup on my two year old Santa Cruz Superlight. the bike has always been properly maintained, and I am now running into some issues as far as the tuning goes. Limits are all fine etc, even cable tension is great, however, right around the middle of my gear range I'll reach a point where I can click a shift down and it wont go, and then click back up and nothing, so I can go up down up down on that spot with no gear change. After close inspection, it seems as if the shifter is not letting out enough slack, because as I click, the derailleur doesn't move at all, but when I look at the cable coming out of the first set of housing from the shifter I see it just barely budge, it isn't until the 2nd click where there's enough slack to drop a gear. Has anyone had this issue and how to I go about fixing it?

Also another issue I have experienced, is even when the derailleur is tuned perfectly (Before this new issue appeared) and it works flawless on the roads and in thy dry trails, as soon as my bike gets wet, things start to get more noisy and things start clicking and it might jump a gear now and then under heavy load, and it throws the tune right off and I have to re-tune. Any input on this would be great to.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Last edited: