Quantcast

Shimano XT Strength?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Once you remove chainrings the weight difference between SLX and XT is wicked negligible. The SLX cranks are going to hold up much better at the pedals.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I can vouch for SLX toughness. Be sure to pick up the model with the steel pedal inserts (its the version with the bash and double ring). Great cranks at an unbeatable price.

Last edited:

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
As said, SLX is supposed to be stronger but my XT's hold up just fine.

Which doesn't mean much as it all depends on how you land, I've seen a guy break Hollowbites riding trails.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i'm running shimano xt's from 2008 that have been on 3 bikes now. theyre ugly as hell by now but still straight. no hardtails, but a slopestyle and a DH bike. 175lb rider, decent size jumps/drops. a hardtail would be a lot harder on cranks though. you might be ok if you are a light, smooth rider and never throw your bike. SLX are a better buy imho especially since you are risking bending or pulling out the pedal threads on the xt's.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
SLX are a better buy imho especially since you are risking bending or pulling out the pedal threads on the xt's.
That's exactly what happened to my old XT cranks and why I went SLX with pedal insert. Stiffness wise, although Shimano claims a massive gain in stiffness, they are pretty similar. I mean you won't notice it unless you're a pro bmxer or 4x guy and doing gates all the time.