Quantcast

Shimstack adjustment for heavier rider

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I know I should reach out to Craig, but before I go down that rabbit hole, I wanted to see what you guys thought. I have a used Fox 36 Avalanche cartridge I picked up a months ago that was tuned for 75psi...so they were about 170lbs. I'm 210 and need 92-95psi to get my proper sag.

I know I should send it out to Craig for a revalve (as I have for my other Avy stuff) but since I have the tools to take the cartridge apart, I wanted to try to see what I could do with it.

When it comes to simply changing the valving to compensate for rider weight (assuming terrain and type of riding is the same), where do you start with the shim stacks when it comes to modifying them to compensate for the added body weight and increased air spring?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And you don’t want people to just say “moar”?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's been years since i've done anything. honestly i'd just reach out to craig, explain you have the tools and would like to attempt it yourself, he'll probably give you direction on what you'll want for a shim stack, at least as a starting point.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had some success removing a shim or two from my avy cart when I lost 60lbs, but I don’t remember what I did. Sometimes shims are double stacked, sometimes you can sub thinner ones, but this would be too much hoping and random chance IME.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had some success removing a shim or two from my avy cart when I lost 60lbs, but I don’t remember what I did. Sometimes shims are double stacked, sometimes you can sub thinner ones, but this would be too much hoping and random chance IME.
yea, you need to consider diameter, thickness, overall # of shims, and placement in the stack. i've heard of some people putting a smaller diameter shim after the first 1 or 2 shims in the stack (the ones that block the valving) to make the initial stroke softer

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I have to call Craig tomorrow anyway to ask him for some details on what he does with the Super Deluxe, so I'll ask about this too. I've recently thrown my Push'd RC2 cartridge back in the Fox 36 for the time being so I might as well just send him his cartridge for a revalve. At least it'll be done properly. Although my ride today made me think that RC2 damper was pretty good!