Quantcast

Shin Guards that don't slide...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Do any exist? I am currently using the TLD lopes ones and they slide down constantly... before I have a chance to crash on them. I can wash the sleeve in hot water and then they stay up for a run or two.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
The 661 race knee works for me. Sometimes they slide a little (maybe 1/2") but then get caught by the top of my foot right where my high top 510's tongue is, and then stay put. Don't know any that stay in perfect placement.
Now if 661 could use velcro or something on the back of the knee so you don't have to take your shoe off to get your knee guards on. What a pain.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I use these:

Mine are white. So far, I have not had them slide once in a crash. Even at Bootleg Canyon.
They've lasted quite awhile as well. Some good direct hits and I haven't cracked them either.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Do any exist? I am currently using the TLD lopes ones and they slide down constantly... before I have a chance to crash on them. I can wash the sleeve in hot water and then they stay up for a run or two.
Either remove some velcro straps or top pieces from old knee guards, or buy them from somewhere (clothing stores?). Then have a seamstress sew them on to the top of the Lopes guards (not the sleeves). I did that and haven't come loose since.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
The 661 race knee works for me. Sometimes they slide a little (maybe 1/2") but then get caught by the top of my foot right where my high top 510's tongue is, and then stay put. Don't know any that stay in perfect placement.
Now if 661 could use velcro or something on the back of the knee so you don't have to take your shoe off to get your knee guards on. What a pain.
+1 on the newest version of the Race. Between the knee 'sock' and the criss-cross top straps, they stay put much better than earlier versions. They also have real velcro on all the straps instead of the old fuzzy-foam (or whatever the heck it was) strap in the middle.

As BM pioints out, the sock also means you have to take your shoes off to put them on; but that's small trade-off IMO for a more secure fit.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Look into the 661 padlocks. I got a pair for some tomcat knee pads that I had before the d3o. They work pretty well, its just a sleeve that you put on the outside of your pads to keep em from sliding around on you.
link

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
o'neal rocker: bulky, hot and you can't put them on without taking your shoes off.

->bombproof! i hit the concrete foundation of a floodlight column an they saved my knee!
no slippage at all.
i got some POC knee/shin thingie (i think they are called "bones..) yesterday, which arerather comfy, you can put them on without taking your shoes off, have this wonder material that gets hard when it gets beaten around the patella, but i have had no crashes with them so far, i hope of course i never will. :-) another neat feature is, that they are not sewn on at the bottom of the shin guard, so you can cut them down with no hassle to the required length.
tomorrow will be my first ride with them, we'll see.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Let me remedy this problem with a simple solution. POC Bone Leg Knee/Shin Guards. Sure, you have to pony up some more dough, but these things have worked awesome for me. They are so adjustable and comfortable, nothing pulling leg hair or straps digging in and cutting up the back of your legs. Also, the protection is great, and they don't slide.

I haven't felt a better pair of shin guards yet.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i'm 175 cm tall and have the large ones. fit well around the knee and and you can cut them to length.
the www-converter for length says that 175 cm is 1.84979e-16 light years.
or 5.74147 ft. :-)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
THE STORM

These pads are incredible. I got a pair from Toby at Whistler in 2006 after destroying my knee when my Dainese slipped. I've had a ton of time on them and they are truly an awesome product. I have recommended them to a lot of friends.

Last edited:

tailwind

Chimp
Mar 15, 2008
I've had good luck with Dainese 3x pads. The knee has a hinge above the knee that lets you bend your knee without restrictions. Its very similar to how the new POC bone knee works. They are much slimmer than my old pads, little less coverage, but overall a good pad.

Before I had Roach (Race Face) Rally FR. They also worked great. I ended up getting rid of them when the stitching fell apart and I gave up trying to resew them. They are a bit bulky, but that just adds to the protection.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
THE STORM
Yup, gotta agree. I got mine after my TLD Lopes slipped off mid-wreck. The Storms don't creep down and stay in place in a crash. Its nice that they aren't totally hot either.

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
My Fox Launch pads have never moved in a crash. Took a look at the POC ones in the shop at Diablo earlier this week and was very impressed though. Definitely a more confidence inspiring pad. The fact that the hard shell sort of floats over the foam seems like a great system as well. A friend of mine rides em, says they feel great.

dap

Chimp
Jul 25, 2006
Central, NY
I love my "race face rally dh" so far (2years). Don't move on me and stay put. As with most safety equip I think you also have to do your part with picking the right size and taking your time putting them on correctly. G'luck!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Sixsixone race lites are okay if a). your legs aren't toothpick size and b). You have the knee wraps for them.

As for race face roach dh, they are a lot more bulky than my POC guards, I have tried those pads before.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i rode with the POC bones today for the first time.
thank god i didn't crash, so i can't comment on how they behave in the case of a crash.
otherwise they are pretty decent. this vpd thingie seems to adapt to the contour of the knee, which is comfy. the straps are placed at the right places, they fit very well and don't rub.
generally the fit is very well and they don't hinder movements or rub, you hardly notice you've got them on.
i'm a bit sceptical about the protection on side of the knees, my o'neal rockers very pretty beefed up in that area, which i actually liked. the POCs not so much.

well, i guess i have to find out in a rather unpleasent way.. :D

schaus889

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
NY
I just got the TLD lopes ones, the S/M size and i'm 6 feet so they fit pretty small, but they are tight and stay put real well. Perhaps you bought a size too big so the neoprene sleeve is too loose, it should be pretty tight

schaus889

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
NY
if it comes down to it, try slipping on a pair of high socks that go to your knees for added space and friction...if you're willing to deal with the extra heat that is

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I've heard good things about the fox launch pads. I might pick up a set of those in the future. Either that or the dainese 3x. I really like a pair of dainese kneeshins when I rented at plattekill, they never moved and protected just fine...but many people seem to hate them....then they like the Lopes guard. Interesting to hear the THE pads are good, might give them a look.

I hate my raceface pads...they're too big and floppy at the top...just not worth the size all said and done.