Quantcast

Shiny Toy Guns

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
OK, so not strictly speaking DH related...

Not being in the US I'd never heard of them before Clay's films, and didn't bother to check them out until I heard them again on NWD9. Good ain't they :) Got the We Are Pilots album, definitely recommended.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I've liked them since I first heard them in a MTB vid. Half their stuff rocks my socks but I really don't like some songs.

Overall great original sound. I believe "Starts With One" is the song in Barel's section of Earthed5 (off the top of my head, could be way off). Always loved that bit of film.

Great riding/video music, very atmospheric.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Overall great original sound. I believe "Starts With One" is the song in Barel's section of Earthed5 (off the top of my head, could be way off). Always loved that bit of film.
That was from NWD8 I believe.. That's what originally turned me onto Shiny Toy Guns.. Ricochet is in NWD9 for the WC section, didn't realize it was them, until I heard the song again on the CD..

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
"Starts with One" is also the music for the section on the Athertons in Between the Tape. Love that song, haven't checked out this band's other stuff, but I will now.

illflip

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Newark, NJ
dig them too. interesting sound.

seems like Clay likes them too...a lot. past 3 dvds all had STG, from the same album even. i think some of his Yeti videos used STG also.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
i find them to be very hit or miss. there are 3 songs that are excellent on their album "we are pilots" (you are the one, starts with one, don't cry out), while the others are crap. i listened to most of the latest album and came away extremely unimpressed.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i hate those bastards. they have undermined my creative interests twice now. i wanted to name my band's new album "shiny new blade" (a lyric from one of the songs) and the band gave it the veto because it sounded too much like "shiny toy guns" (which others mentioned as well). i also started working on an animated video for one of our songs, and shiny toy guns put out a video that is stylisticly very close to my idea, but we are moving forward with it anyway. those bastards are just one step ahead of me. at least i know my ideas are good if someone else is using them and making money; i just need to speed up my production time and deliver the goods before those bastards pull the rug out from under me again.

...yes, i'm bitter. yes, it is silly.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
i find them to be very hit or miss.
Couldn't agree more. Some of their songs are catchy as hell, and some sound like they belong on an adult alternative/soft rock radio station. Saw them live in Mammoth this past March, they put on a decent show.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think I like the repeat of Von Südenfed in Earthed 5 (?) better than STG or Rise Against, but that's just me. :)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
'rainy monday' is used pretty well on F1RST as well, in the matti section.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
i find them to be very hit or miss. there are 3 songs that are excellent on their album "we are pilots" (you are the one, starts with one, don't cry out), while the others are crap. i listened to most of the latest album and came away extremely unimpressed.
Agreed. Ever since I heard "Don't Cry Out" in the snowboard DVD Follow Me Around. I was hooked on Shiny Toy Guns.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Really like STG too, but I find´em hard to find. No much on iTunes, or Spotify. Where do you guys get the music?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I dunno, I like pretty much the whole album, not hit and miss at all, better than most albums in that regard.