Quantcast

Shipping a bike to the Phillipines...making sure I don't get screwed.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Had someone contact me wanting a bike I am selling and it seems legit, or at least more legit than the spam I always get regarding the 'I will pay you one million dollars for the item'.

He mentioned seeing the ad on here and responds to my e-mails pretty quickly and in a coherent manner. The main thing I was curious about was that he wants me to send the bike to a forwarding company that handles all their shipments to them. I want to know if this sounds legit. I have shipped to Canada before but that's it. Never really dealt with other countries, but I have heard of bikes being shipped out of the States, just because stuff is really hard to get.

I asked him how he wanted to pay and he asked if Paypal works. I said ok and told him I would just charge shipping to box it and send it and he agreed. Anything that sounds too sketchy?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I only ship to verified Paypal addresses. If you ship somewhere that's not a verified Paypal address, you significantly reduce your protections within Paypal if something goes wrong.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
seems legit. a lot of forwarders to asia are in california.
mine is in miami, fl. (where most forwarders to south america are).
I only ship to verified Paypal addresses. If you ship somewhere that's not a verified Paypal address, you significantly reduce your protections within Paypal if something goes wrong.
Good to know. I will check to see if the address is verified.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I asked and he said the address is verified and the shipper is the one that he uses to buy online from ebay and amazon and other places in the states. Sounds legit, so I think I'll try to work with the guy. Is there a time frame to know that the funds from Paypal are good?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
In theory its that day when they transfer the funds to you. I'd wait a couple days though.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
With Paypal, it doesn't matter if the money hits your bank.

If the transaction is reversed, they'll just debit your bank account anyway.

Once Paypal has the money, it's as good to go as it's going to get.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Crap really?

But once they have actually sent the money to you, what would make Paypal debit your bank account? If you ship to a verified Paypal address shouldn't you be protected against that?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Paypal is kind of buyer-centric. If the buyer claims that they didn't get the item, or got a damaged item, or whatever - they can file a complaint, and Paypal will debit your account for the money.