Quantcast

Shipping a Bike

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
UPS. Stay the hell away from the UPS store. Tey will rip you off and destroy your bike in the process, if they pack it.

My shop would charge $30 to box a bike, and the UPS charge (without markup) was usually ~$30 for UPS ground.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
UPS Stores rip you off when they box it for you, don't let them.

Ship larger stuff Fedex, it's cheaper, but if you want UPS, there is NO markup at The UPS Store.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Pack it yourself and definately go Fedex. UPS is my #2 pick. USPS is 3x the cost of Fedex in my experience. I wouldn't trust DHL with a nice bike, they seem to like destroying boxes.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
lovebunny said:
wrong. the ups store right next to my house charges more than twice what the ups distribution center charges 10 min form my house
You sure about that? I've worked for both UPS and The UPS Store and they aren't allowed to mark up at all on hub rates.

Are you talking about packaging? The UPS Store will shove it up your ass when it comes to packaging your stuff...

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
xbluethunderx said:
You sure about that? I've worked for both UPS and The UPS Store and they aren't allowed to mark up at all on hub rates.

Are you talking about packaging? The UPS Store will shove it up your ass when it comes to packaging your stuff...
If he is not... I am.

They do it in SoCal...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
UPS has always destroyed everything in my experience.

I had my frame shipped from CA to Montreal, Can using Fedex. No problems there.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
xbluethunderx said:

Dude it says right on UPS's site that "Rates may vary at retail locations."

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
I packed my V10 frame myself, and took it to the place where all the UPS trucks come in and out of...I guess it was the distribution center, I dunno, but it was only 15 bucks to ship it from CA to CO insured for 1600 bucks. Whatever you do...INSURE it...do NOT be cheap and NOT insure it...you don't wanna be one of those tools that bitches about UPS thrashing your bike and not paying for it because you didn't insure it...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Dude it says right on UPS's site that "Rates may vary at retail locations."

Prices can vary wildly, at least for FedEx. Shipping a package overnight at a FedEx store $23, from work $3.50.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
lovebunny said:
wrong. the ups store right next to my house charges more than twice what the ups distribution center charges 10 min form my house
That has also been my experience. Drove cross country not realizing that I had a friends front road wheel with me. I was with my brother. He was staying, I was flying back. We went to a UPS store and they said $30 shipping, plus packing costs. I've shipped bikes for less. So it came on the plane.