Quantcast

Shipping a frame from Canada to the US

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Anyone ever ship a bike from Canada to the US? I'm trying to get a straight answer from UPS on what determines taxes/duties/brokerage fees and have yet to get much back from them. After being on hold for awhile yesterday, UPS told me that anything under $800 will not be taxed etc. I really want this frame/fork combo but am a bit wary of getting hit with some big tax/brokerage bills (making it not as good a deal). Any info would be appreciated.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I would never ship something through the border using UPS unless you have a large account. They are notorious for ripping people off with their brokerage fees. I've paid more on brokerage fees than the item imported. I'd way rather use Canada post to USPS or FedEx than UPS.

fwiw I've shipped quite a few bikes to the US. The last one, was a spooky supertouch complete bike. FedEx was about $180 to ship to NYC. Prices have gone up quite a bit for shipping.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Don't use UPS, try regular Post Canada and things should be fine.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
X3 on not using UPS. I've had a few bikes and frames shipped down from Canada, and the brokerage fee is sometimes higher than the actual duty tax. That's on top of the shipping costs.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Don't use UPS. If you screw up or forget something in the export declaration, they will ass rape you with expensive storage fees (per day) while the issue gets resolved, on top of ripping you off all along for the standard process. True story.

Go with Canada Post.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Thanks all. Seems the box dimensions are beyond the maximum allowed for Canada Post. Hoping he might be able to find a frame box. I'm only an hour from the boarder so also considering shipping to a UPS store in Canada and driving up to grab it. Kind of a PITA though..

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks all. Seems the box dimensions are beyond the maximum allowed for Canada Post. Hoping he might be able to find a frame box. I'm only an hour from the boarder so also considering shipping to a UPS store in Canada and driving up to grab it. Kind of a PITA though..
is it a new frame or used?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
New. It's been built but never ridden.
In that case, if you opt for the drive to Canada route, take old parts, ride it, then it counts as "used" not new. Because border patrol asks questions when you come back. Easier if you come back at a diff border crossing.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
In my experience if you can bring it across the border yourself the better off your are . What parts of the US are you in ?? I,m in BC and I regularly ship stuff to Sumas WA and cross over and bring it back myself. As other have mentioned using any courier to bring it across the border requires brokerage fees and that can double the cost of the item if not done right .