Quantcast

Shipping Bike to Whistler

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So I am headed up to Whistler this August for my first time, and I think that it would be easier to just ship my bike to a shop there than break it down completely and smuggle it on the airplane, although I could still maybe do that.

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as shops I could contact in the Whistler area that would let me ship a bike to them?

Thanks!

phattraxbc

Chimp
Jun 20, 2009
Whistler BC
Where are you staying when you get up there?
We have just moved to Whistler and have a 8 bedroom chalet. Wash area, secure storage and are only 2 minute ride to the village?
Just moved here so not sure how the postage thing works yet but we have an address...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm going to be staying near Blackcomb at a condo there.

I would consider shipping it, but seeing as you have all of 1 posts and I don't know you, I would rather stick with a shop to be on the safe side. Thanks though.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
shipping to whislter is expensive 100$+.

Contact your condo. you can most likely send it there. If not try any shop, i am sure they will help somone out.

Send it atleast 2 weeks in advance, even then it might not be enough depending on where the origin is from. Customs is a bitch. My buddie last year had his stuck in customs the whole time we were there. He sent his from wisconsin 1.5weeks early. It arrived at the condo the day we left to go back home. He paid another 130$ to send it back home. He probally should have refused shipment or something. He sent it 3day air too.....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hm, sounds like if I could smuggle it on the plane (I'm going with 2 people who aren't riding as well) it would be worth it.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I do quite a lot of shipping for my work with sending stuff to Canada. We use FedEx express for all of our international shipping. If you have the right commercial invoices and fend the stuff express it should make it there no problem. If you send it express it is pre cleared for customs from your local hub. (They get it to go through) If you have any more questions just pm me.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
shipping is pricey (160 from here) and customs is a ballup if you use UPS. I have gotten away with customs fees using fedex as tomacracer said.

I fly air canada now to whistler, bikes are like 50-60 bucks? I forget, but it was cheaper than most last year.

I shipped mine back after getting jacked up and i used the UPS office in the village.
Because i listed the value over $1000 they opened it up in customs , rooted all around the box and re-packed it like shiite.:stop:
Soooo, i would just use the airline. Southwest seems to charge the least. I have paid $50 a few times for the bike box and once $100.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
I've heard people say that if you put your wheels in one box and the rest of your bike in another, sometimes taking the shock off so it will be more compact, the airlines are free because the two boxes are small enough. Haven't tried it. I can say that Alaska was good to me when flying my surfboard to Mexico, no over sized baggage fees. Maybe they would be cool with bike stuff too.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I've heard people say that if you put your wheels in one box and the rest of your bike in another, sometimes taking the shock off so it will be more compact, the airlines are free because the two boxes are small enough. Haven't tried it. I can say that Alaska was good to me when flying my surfboard to Mexico, no over sized baggage fees. Maybe they would be cool with bike stuff too.
Buddy of mine just did the 2 box thing (frame in one, wheels in another) and that was the ticket for him...paid only a excess fee, not a bike fee?

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Buddy of mine just did the 2 box thing (frame in one, wheels in another) and that was the ticket for him...paid only a excess fee, not a bike fee?
I've been doing this (and recommending it to customers) for a couple years now with great success. I use your old advice about the 2 boxes, too - cover them in heavy-duty non-silver duct tape. At most, I get charged the ~$25 for an extra bag, but both bags are under 50lbs (even with a sh!tload of extra gear in there) so I avoid the 'overweight' and 'bike' fees that can run up to $150 each way on some airlines.

The only possible rub to this method is that both boxes are typically larger than a 'standard' size allowable bag, and technically I should get charged an 'oversize' fee. Having used this method for a couple years on 10-12 trips though, I've never had anyone mention the size, let alone actually measure the boxes, so I've never had to pay that oversize fee.

--JP

Last edited:

Jonnyc

Chimp
Oct 20, 2005
I've used the break the bike down and 2 bags method a few times. I just take a wheel bag and a suitcase stuffing each right up to the weight limit.

That's exactly what i do. I just got back from whistler two days ago. it was only 25usd (extra bag fee.) It doesnt take very long to break your bike down and put it in a suitcase. You just have to make sure your bag is under 50lbs.

stik is right about air Canada. an if you pay an extra 30usd you can go to the executive lounge which has free booze and food and your bags are free! .