Quantcast

Shipping insurance

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What's with the recent craze of requiring insurance?

I mean, it used to be that if the product didn't reach it's destination, the buyer/receiver wasn't responsible. Is it just me or should the seller deal with the shipper for a resolution and the buyer shouldn't be out any money?

On items with a value over $100 I rarely do not offer insurance. In fact I sometimes require it. If you do not want insurance please be aware that I will not be responsible for lost or damaged items. Look at my feedback and you will see that I pack everything with the utmost care and attention. Once it leaves my hands I have no control over what happens.

link

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I don't get what he means by "I don't offer insurance", and "I sometimes require it".

ALWAYS insure your ****, ALWAYS. If something gets broken/lost in transit, if it was packed correctly, you will get your money back. If not, it was the shippers fault.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
FedEx recently managed to lose a 118lb crate that my brother had shipped. He insured it and is filing a claim for $1200.00 for one lost transmission with a peloquin differential.

He is happy he insured it. The buyer is happy with his refund.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I think the seller sould pay... when I am selling I usually just add it to the shipping cost with out the buyer even knowing it

There isn't anything the seller should or shouldn't do. A seller and a buyer are free to agree on whatever deal they find mutually acceptable, with or without insurance. The buyer has the option not to buy.

As a seller, I'm generally inclined not to insure - actually, I self-insure: if something gets lost or damaged, I'll take the hit and refund the purchase price.

Insurance as we use it today is really little more than a tax that we pay to corporations...

J

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
johnbryanpeters said:
There isn't anything the seller should or shouldn't do. A seller and a buyer are free to agree on whatever deal they find mutually acceptable, with or without insurance. The buyer has the option not to buy.

As a seller, I'm generally inclined not to insure - actually, I self-insure: if something gets lost or damaged, I'll take the hit and refund the purchase price.

Insurance as we use it today is really little more than a tax that we pay to corporations...

J
Well, I WAS going to order some pint glasses...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
hooples3 said:
...I usually just add it to the shipping cost with out the buyer even knowing it
yeah, why don't more sellers just do that?

johnbryanpeters said:
There isn't anything the seller should or shouldn't do.
So you're saying the seller has no responsibility in making sure the product sell reaches it's destination?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
LordOpie said:
So you're saying the seller has no responsibility in making sure the product sell reaches it's destination?
Noooo, he said: "A seller and a buyer are free to agree on whatever deal they find mutually acceptable, with or without insurance. The buyer has the option not to buy." :oink:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Changleen said:
Noooo, he said: "A seller and a buyer are free to agree on whatever deal they find mutually acceptable, with or without insurance. The buyer has the option not to buy." :oink:
Really? I didn't know that. Huh.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I really don't understand the fuss about shipping insurance...It's not like it's expensive or anything. On my UPS acct I could get $2k of coverage for a few bucks. Retail, I believe it is a dollar per hundred.

J

JRB

blue said:
I really don't understand the fuss about shipping insurance...It's not like it's expensive or anything. On my UPS acct I could get $2k of coverage for a few bucks. Retail, I believe it is a dollar per hundred.
I don't think it's that high. I don't think they will pay a lot of claims anyway, but without it, you have no chance.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
If you can't pack something they won't pay out...

90% of the claims I worked on got paid out. Sometimes the payee got lucky and UPS would misinterpret something...Like this dude shipped a bike, a hub got cracked, and all he wanted was a new hub. UPS paid out the full value of the bike...close to $2k.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
LordOpie said:
The problem is related to ebay's feedback system and the number of complete morons who shop on ebay. Sellers want to protect their feedback reputation. If a moron buyer chooses not to buy insurance, and the item arrives damaged, then the moron buyer thinks he has no other recourse than to file negative feedback. Whereas if the seller required insurance, the buyer would more likely contact the seller to work it out. Remove the moron buyers from ebay and the problem is fixed. Of course that would mean removing 99% of the ebay shoppers.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Echo said:
The problem is related to ebay's feedback system and the number of complete morons who shop on ebay. Sellers want to protect their feedback reputation. If a moron buyer chooses not to buy insurance, and the item arrives damaged, then the moron buyer thinks he has no other recourse than to file negative feedback. Whereas if the seller required insurance, the buyer would more likely contact the seller to work it out. Remove the moron buyers from ebay and the problem is fixed. Of course that would mean removing 99% of the ebay shoppers.

Exactly. I'm a powerseller and the amount of idiots out there are growing. I always offer the buyer the "option" to buy insurance but I always highly recommend it. Sometimes I require it depending on the item.....D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BMXman said:
Exactly. I'm a powerseller and the amount of idiots out there are growing. I always offer the buyer the "option" to buy insurance but I always highly recommend it. Sometimes I require it depending on the item.....D
and what do you do if the item doesn't get to them or gets there damaged?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
LordOpie said:
and what do you do if the item doesn't get to them or gets there damaged?

well if they paid for insurance I file a claim...if they didn't pay for insurance then they are SOL!...I personally insure anything over $100 but that's just me...it's only a few dollars that offer a lot of protection...it has been my experience though that Fed X is the worst of them. I have had to file more claims with them that all the other combined (USPS, UPS, DHL)....D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BMXman said:
if they didn't pay for insurance then they are SOL!
Really? Good to know, so I don't accidentally buy anything from you.

If I didn't receive my shipment from a real business, they'd take responsibility for it. I have two shipments enroute from Nashbar and Cambria. If I didn't get them this week, do you think they'd tell me I was SOL?

Perhaps it's not the moron buyers, but the people prentending to be real a business that's the problem?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok don't get me wrong I always provide a tracking number so I know where the package is but if the shipping service loses the package or damages it...how is that my resposibility?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
LordOpie said:
Really? Good to know, so I don't accidentally buy anything from you
So your position is, if the buyer chooses not to buy insurance, and the item is damaged, the seller should be responsible? So if I sell a $1500 bike frame on ebay, and the buyer doesn't want to pay for insurance, and it gets damaged in shipment, you think I should just say bye-bye to my frame AND the $1500 so I can make the buyer happy? Good to know, so I don't accidentally sell anything to you.

If you want to buy only from "real businesses", don't shop on ebay.