Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
See the 2nd video
Couple things:

1: No brake rider in the aircraft?
2: Jesus fuck, son. Slow down, it's not Daytona
3: once the tug driver got too far from straight, he's being pushed by the aircraft and is just along for the ride and as heavy as that tug is it's not shit compared to the aircraft.
4: no way this wasn't the result of operator error. Dudes fucking lucky to be alive and just cost American thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars. Possibly hundreds of thousands depending on structure damage. Aircraft was definitely oversteered, probably needs the whole front strut assembly replaced, and @FSM only know what structural damage.
5: what a fucking moron.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Couple things:

1: No brake rider in the aircraft?
2: Jesus fuck, son. Slow down, it's not Daytona
3: once the tug driver got too far from straight, he's being pushed by the aircraft and is just along for the ride and as heavy as that tug is it's not shit compared to the aircraft.
4: no way this wasn't the result of operator error. Dudes fucking lucky to be alive and just cost American thousands, if not tens of thousands of dollars. Possibly hundreds of thousands depending on structure damage. Aircraft was definitely oversteered, probably needs the whole front strut assembly replaced, and @FSM only know what structural damage.
Unfortunately, they have watered down the turn-around at most airports. These used to be airline employees and now they are generally contract services that do it as the "lowest bidder". These companies have to do this according to multiple airlines difference procedures, so it introduces quite a mess of operation procedures and steps, different equipment, etc. More points of failure for a dollar saved. They are looking to automation to do this eventually, with no humans. There's a bunch of testing for this going on. Automated wing-walker sensors, etc.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
It's really a shame the height of those tuggers and the belly height of airplanes can't be known to better design a system to move those things around without doing that
Unfortunately, they have watered down the turn-around at most airports. These used to be airline employees and now they are generally contract services that do it as the "lowest bidder". These companies have to do this according to multiple airlines difference procedures, so it introduces quite a mess of operation procedures and steps, different equipment, etc. More points of failure for a dollar saved. They are looking to automation to do this eventually, with no humans. There's a bunch of testing for this going on. Automated wing-walker sensors, etc.
Every airport I've ever worked on had contract baggage/gate people. They might run belt loaders into airplanes, they might hit the aircraft with the lav cart, they might run baggage carts across active runways, but they have never been allowed to tow an aircraft like that, especially at an airport as busy as LGA. I'd bet good money that the tug driver was an AA employee. So......Probably protected by the Union and back on the job this week.

Also, no matter how hard you may try, you can't really engineer your way out of

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Every airport I've ever worked on had contract baggage/gate people. They might run belt loaders into airplanes, they might hit the aircraft with the lav cart, they might run baggage carts across active runways, but they have never been allowed to tow an aircraft like that, especially at an airport as busy as LGA. I'd bet good money that the tug driver was an AA employee. So......Probably protected by the Union and back on the job this week.

Also, no matter how hard you may try, you can't really engineer your way out of
Lav and food has been contract for as long as I can remember, but ground personnel like tugs, wing-walkers, baggage, that has only been contract for around 10 years AFAIK, at least with some of the major airlines. Sometimes different vendors at different major airports.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Speculation on pilot boards that captain my have told first officer to go "check the landing gear" by lowering the rear ramp in flight...vs. "suicide".

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Now speculation is around drug testing that is required after such an incident. The jumper was at the controls when they landed hard and took a wheel off, the captain took the controls back then. After landing, both would be drug tested as standard protocol. The testimony is that the jumper was feeling sick and went back to "open the ramp and get fresh air"...then jumped. The captain freaked out, flew in a few circles to try and spot them, etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Now speculation is around drug testing that is required after such an incident. The jumper was at the controls when they landed hard and took a wheel off, the captain took the controls back then. After landing, both would be drug tested as standard protocol. The testimony is that the jumper was feeling sick and went back to "open the ramp and get fresh air"...then jumped. The captain freaked out, flew in a few circles to try and spot them, etc.

It was a skydiving flight. I assume intoxication was a requirement.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Incident: Ethiopian B738 at Addis Ababa on Aug 15th 2022, pilots asleep
By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Aug 18th 2022 20:09Z, last updated Thursday, Aug 18th 2022 20:09Z

An Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737-800, registration ET-AOB performing flight ET-343 from Khartoum (Sudan) to Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), was enroute at FL370 when the pilots fell asleep. The aircraft continued past the top of descent maintaining FL370 and continued along the FMC route set up for an approach to runway 25L without descending however. ATC tried to contact the crew numerous times without success. After overflying runway 25L at FL370 the autopilot disconnected, the disconnect wailer woke the crew up who then maneouvered the aircraft for a safe landing on runway 25L about 25 minutes after overflying the runway at FL370.

The aircraft remained on the ground for about 2.5 hours before departing for its next flight.

ADS-B data confirm the information, The Aviation Herald received, showing the aircraft maintained FL370 until after overflying the runway before the aircraft began to descend and maneouver for another approach.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ETH343/history/20220815/0140Z/HSSK/HAAB

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Local restaurant owner tries to ram seaplane taxiing out of Halibut Cove:

Small aircraft like PA-18s (Super-Cubs) can takeoff and land in the cove, but larger aircraft like this need to taxi out of it for the same. The Beaver had paying passengers on board for a sightseeing flight. There's also video from in the cockpit of this, looks even closer from that perspective.

Local restaurant owner tries to ram seaplane taxiing out of Halibut Cove:

Small aircraft like PA-18s (Super-Cubs) can takeoff and land in the cove, but larger aircraft like this need to taxi out of it for the same. The Beaver had paying passengers on board for a sightseeing flight. There's also video from in the cockpit of this, looks even closer from that perspective.
Was any action taken against the boat operator?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Seaplane traffic was insane this weekend with people trying to avoid the chaos of the state ferry system.

Last story I read just a few min ago said CG thinks airplane just went straight down, no attempt to land, which would indicate a structural failure like part of the wing or stabilizers departing the aircraft in flight or critically damaged from impact...not expecting to find survivors.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My brief and admittedly limited experience with float planes was enough to convince me that I will probably never get on one. Even the ones where proper scheduled maintenance was followed had SOOOOO much corrosion. :fie:

Edit: Reading further on down in that SEA times piece confirms my bias.