Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Thread title.

Many moons ago, not long after I started in PDX, had a flight come in rather later than scheduled. Seems that when they had started descent into PDX, an older fella had made a run for the lav, then wouldn't come out, wouldn't respond to crew. So they circle for a while, trying to get the gentleman to reseat himself for landing, and of course he doesn't. Finally, they have to land because of fuel. Tower is informed that there is an uncooperative soul aboard, so along with myself and another couple mechanics there are now a handful of cops waiting at the gate for this plane to land. This is pre 9/11 mind you. Plane shows up, peeps get off, FA tells the cops that the gentleman is still holed up in the lav. Cops go knocking on the door, "police, come out" etc. No response, so I get the pleasure of opening the door. Old dude is huddled in the "corner" of the lav, shit is everywhere. Literal shit, literally everywhere. @Toshi might need to chime in to explain the physiology, but it's by far the most poop I've ever seen, presumably from the rectum of only one person. I've got a pretty strong stomach, but it was pretty difficult to keep everything down in that moment. Old dude is still alive, just horribly, horribly mortified, and as it turns out, not all together there, mentally. Cops tell him he needs to get off and that everyone else is gone. Guy, covered almost head to toe in poop, walks down the aisle, placing his hands on the back of EVERY seat on the way out.

It took us 3 days to get all the parts to replace all the seat covers.

/Coolstorybro

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Select Cat IIIc approach, bring up initial approach fix to 2nd line, execute on FMS, enable VNAV, dial altitude down to touchdown zone, autopilot on if not already-NAV mode, set autobrakes to 3, sit back and watch.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Select Cat IIIc approach, bring up initial approach fix to 2nd line, execute on FMS, enable VNAV, dial altitude down to touchdown zone, autopilot on if not already-NAV mode, set autobrakes to 3, sit back and watch.
At some point pilots will just become operators.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Meanwhile my Alaska Air + pre-check experience was just fine both DEN-SEA and SEA-DEN. Luck of the draw, although I guess avoiding Southwest and Frontier and the like in general helps.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

yeah, nah, not going to work for a place like that!
Neither are the ramp agents in Denver!

*FWIW; I've seen that floating around on the interwebz and I'm mildly skeptical of the veracity of that memo. To be clear, it could TOTALLY be real, but given the shit show that's already happening it could also be someone just throwing gas on the fire.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Neither are the ramp agents in Denver!

*FWIW; I've seen that floating around on the interwebz and I'm mildly skeptical of the veracity of that memo. To be clear, it could TOTALLY be real, but given the shit show that's already happening it could also be someone just throwing gas on the fire.
Story I got from one of the rampers here is that a bunch of ground people quit in denver over working conditions, safety concerns and managerial issues when temps on the ramp were in the -40's and -50's last week. Story went that there had been issues for a while and the weather was the last straw. So they were already short staffed, had a bunch of new folks making at/barely above minimum wage with not much to lose right when the holidays came around. Shockingly, a bunch of those folks chose to not come to work, which I applaud.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
An article from Dec 10:

Dallas-based Southwest is asking nonoperations employees to pitch in for eight-hour shifts for customer service tasks such as answering questions, wayfinding and pushing wheelchairs.

“We are expecting a very busy holiday season (which we are thankful for!), but we also want to do everything in our power to set our front-line employees up for success, especially in locations where staffing is a challenge,” the company said in an email to some employees.
So this was all forseen, even before last weeks arctic nut punch, and who doesn't want to spend extra time away from home during the holidays?

Airlines including Southwest have put extra effort into making sure that they are well-staffed during the holidays, especially after a meltdown in early October that resulted in more than 2,000 flights being canceled and cost the company $75 million.
Dropped the ball on that one, eh?

and the chefs kiss:
In fact, Senate lawmakers are asking CEOs of major companies to appear for a hearing next week in Washington, D.C., to explain why there is a staffing shortage at airlines when the government gave the industry $54 billion in payroll support to keep people employed and the airlines running smoothly.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

yeah, nah, not going to work for a place like that!
I stand corrected.

As also noted by @xJonNYC, the situation got so bad that on December 22 that a Tampa to Denver flight returned to Tampa because there wouldn’t be sufficient ground staff to assist with the flight. The airline ended up operating a nearly four hour flight to nowhere. Ouch.

Jesus, what a totally preventable shit show. :rofl: