Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
OK tubby.

There is an argument to be made about airlines and seat sizes, seat pitch, comfort, etc, and then there is this. I know I've said this before, but if your ass is so fat you need two seat, you're too fucking fat to be on the aircraft, full stop. I know I sound like a dick, but you are probably physically incapable of fitting through/out an overwing exit. When you're heart gives out in the smoke filled aisle, no one can get over you. Emergency personnel will not be able to heave your carcass out of the burning fucking aircraft. You are literally a safety hazard to everyone else on the aircraft, in an emergency.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There is an argument to be made about airlines and seat sizes, seat pitch, comfort, etc, and then there is this. I know I've said this before, but if your ass is so fat you need two seat, you're too fucking fat to be on the aircraft, full stop. I know I sound like a dick, but you are probably physically incapable of fitting through/out an overwing exit. When you're heart gives out in the smoke filled aisle, no one can get over you. Emergency personnel will not be able to heave your carcass out of the burning fucking aircraft. You are literally a safety hazard to everyone else on the aircraft, in an emergency.
we deal with this to a certain degree in my line of work - in that we have to have some extremely large sizes of implants and instruments for bariatric patients. i know Eric deals with this in his job too.

someone should tell her about cargo aircraft.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
this.

and....

3 free checked bags....no carry ons....no overhead bins.....boarding and deplaning would be so much easier...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I've removed three overhead bin doors this week because some dumb dick tried to cram in a way over stuffed bag that totally "fit the last time". :rolleyes:
it is always fun to tell someone they are doing it wrong and watch them get pissy....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd settle for launching from a cannon the people who board earlier and put their case and backpack in the overhead. Instead of keeping the backpack by their feet

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I think I have only used the overhead bins when I have had a first row seat for the extra legroom. My carry-on is a tiny duffel that easily slides under the seat between my feet. Possibly a light sweatshirt / hoody, headphones, medz, bottle of water and maybe a samich.

I really don't understand what people could possibly need with them that requires the equivalent of an expedition back-pack for carry-on.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I really don't understand what people could possibly need with them that requires the equivalent of an expedition back-pack for carry-on.
I'd wager it's because they don't want their luggage getting lost and not showing up at their final destination. And not having to wait forever at the luggage carrousel.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'd wager it's because they don't want their luggage getting lost and not showing up at their final destination. And not having to wait forever at the luggage carrousel.
Just about all of my flying is a vacation charter, so direct to a single destination airport. It I had connections all over the place, maybe I would feel a bit different. Anyway, I can't get my snorkelling gear and enough clothes for a week to fit in carry-on no matter how I pack the backpack.

Guess I'm waiting at the no-fun carousel.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
So are you saying I should stop being considerate in my carry-on and try to douche it out with all the bin stuffers?
Yeah, I guess it kind of is, if you want to be as sure as possible that your stuff makes it to the same place you do. Just know that the mechanic who has to come on board and wave his crotch in your face to remove the door is definitly questioning the width of your family tree when you break the hinges with your overstuffed shit.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yeah, I guess it kind of is, if you want to be as sure as possible that your stuff makes it to the same place you do. Just know that the mechanic who has to come on board and wave his crotch in your face to remove the door is definitly questioning the width of your family tree when you break the hinges with your overstuffed shit.
Ya, I get that. If I end up with a connection, then ya, my carry-on gets a bit fuller. Basically a survival kit if the checked stuff ends up in Albuquerque.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think I have only used the overhead bins when I have had a first row seat for the extra legroom. My carry-on is a tiny duffel that easily slides under the seat between my feet. Possibly a light sweatshirt / hoody, headphones, medz, bottle of water and maybe a samich.

Under the seat is for my feet.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That is bad,real bad. Perhaps you should stick to the argument of seat size,pitch,etc. What the Fuck makes you think that if there was a Fire,that same person would Pull your little Pesgeek ass to saftey? Shallow.

I saw a Man,Huge Man,Sumo size,lift a Helicopter off of his buddie in fucking water and mud. The copter crashed in a big creak,the Man was trapped and had minutes to live. He was able to lift and hold till his buddie got out. I assure you,this Man would need the other seat.

I’m not perfect,and I do get a bad attitude,and say things I regret. I do my best to listen and think before I speak. For me,if I put myself in the other’s shoes,It helps to break the chains of being a downright negative Cunt.

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That is bad,real bad. Perhaps you should stick to the argument of seat size,pitch,etc. What the Fuck makes you think that if there was a Fire,that same person would Pull your little Pesgeek ass to saftey? Shallow.

I saw a Man,Huge Man,Sumo size,lift a Helicopter off of his buddie in fucking water and mud. The copter crashed in a big creak,the Man was trapped and had minutes to live. He was able to lift and hold till his buddie got out. I assure you,this Man would need the other seat.

I’m not perfect,and I do get a bad attitude,and say things I regret. I do my best to listen and think before I speak. For me,if I put myself in the other’s shoes,It helps to break the chains of being a downright negative Cunt.

Avy
I have a bit of experience modeling aircraft evacuations and Pesqueeb is spot on. Evac is a matter of usable aisles and exits. Everything about that person's size and mobility is going to block everyone else on the plane.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have a bit of experience modeling aircraft evacuations and Pesqueeb is spot on. Evac is a matter of usable aisles and exits. Everything about that person's size and mobility is going to block everyone else on the plane.
I hate agreeing with the typing head injury that is avy. But he's right.

If you run a business to accomodate the public, who you wish to sell a service to, you need to do that. Be it seat layout of some form, or whatever else. This isn't an apollo mission. And services for the most capable only, is a big part of why this country and the culture that formed is so fucked up.

I don't fly anymore but I've personally never had an issue with any of the above. But that's the same argument used to build up a murder case for trans, brown (fill in the blank) people. Maybe someone lost their spouse/dog/child and doesn't take care of themself because of depression. Doesn't mean they can't go see family.

People as a unit of payment sits at the root of how airlines divy seats. Also kinda fucked up.

Really the only solution is to end commercial airline travel for everyone. It's kind of poison all around. Spiritually, and literally.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

If you run a business to accomodate the public, who you wish to sell a service to, you need to do that. Be it seat layout of some form, or whatever else. This isn't an apollo mission. And services for the most capable only, is a big part of why this country and the culture that formed is so fucked up.

I don't fly anymore but I've personally never had an issue with any of the above. But that's the same argument used to build up a murder case for trans, brown (fill in the blank) people. Maybe someone lost their spouse/dog/child and doesn't take care of themself because of depression. Doesn't mean they can't go see family.

People as a unit of payment sits at the root of how airlines divy seats. Also kinda fucked up.

Really the only solution is to end commercial airline travel for everyone. It's kind of poison all around. Spiritually, and literally.
Can we have high speed trains??

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

If you run a business to accomodate the public, who you wish to sell a service to, you need to do that. Be it seat layout of some form, or whatever else. This isn't an apollo mission. And services for the most ready is a big part of why this country and the culture that formed is so fucked up.
There's a hell of a lot more that has to change if they go down that road. Currently, the airlines use averages for passenger weight, to keep the airplane in weight and balance limitations. If you have one person that weighs as much as 5, now you can't just assume everyone weighs an average weight that...well, averages. So now you probably gotta weigh every person that gets on and track their locations to keep the plane within CG limits. You can't put them in exit rows either. There's no way this plays out well in an aircraft that relies on an even spread of passengers to stay in CG limits. The regulation that covers seat forces for structural integrity during an emergency landing also only assumes 170lbs sitting in the seat.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's a hell of a lot more that has to change if they go down that road. Currently, the airlines use averages for passenger weight, to keep the airplane in weight and balance limitations. If you have one person that weighs as much as 5, now you can't just assume everyone weighs an average weight that...well, averages. So now you probably gotta weigh every person that gets on and track their locations to keep the plane within CG limits. You can't put them in exit rows either. There's no way this plays out well in an aircraft that relies on an even spread of passengers to stay in CG limits. The regulation that covers seat forces for structural integrity during an emergency landing also only assumes 170lbs sitting in the seat.
I understand all that.

But 5x is a little questionable and a bit hyperbole cuz that person ain't even getting around anywhere.

You're explaining current limitations of the existing system and I'm saying the current system is flawed. Even the very first consumer airliners had more space than they do now. Justifying the current state of passenger aircraft is just accepting the massive commercialization and profit maximizing that defines these current companies. I'm 5'8" 165lbs and that shit is still uncomfortable. Because every decade they realized they could cram another row and 5-12 tickets in.

Other than providing valuable (and delicious) chemtrails, all that shit really could be better replaced with some comfy trains.

I understand all that.

But 5x is a little questionable and a bit hyperbole cuz that person ain't even getting around anywhere.

You're explaining current limitations of the existing system and I'm saying the current system is flawed. Even the very first consumer airliners had more space than they do now. Justifying the current state of passenger aircraft is just accepting the massive commercialization and profit maximizing that defines these current companies. I'm 5'8" 165lbs and that shit is still uncomfortable. Because every decade they realized they could cram another row and 5-12 tickets in.

Other than providing valuable (and delicious) chemtrails, all that shit really could be better replaced with some comfy trains.
And boats.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I fly for business way too much for me. Outbound Monday home on Friday every other week.

I check my suitcase and my equipment, bc:

1. I can’t be bothered dragging that shit around
2. Waiting 10 minutes at the carousel after 8-10 hrs of travel is no big deal
3. I use my alloted space in the overhead for my laptop bag. I put my feet under the seat in front of me.
4.If it gets lost or damaged, gear belongs to my corporate employer who is insured and I am really not that attached to my work clothes…

As for Xxl people, tough call. As much as I dread having to have a seat next to a Xxl person, have the same right as me to be on the plane…

I fucking hate travel, but I make sure not to take that out on those around me…especially those working.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

I'm not defending the airline industry. I get to watch the myriad of ways it's broken and terrible from the front seats, 40+ hours a week. The current system is absolutely deeply flawed. Name me an industry that's not. The Race to the Bottom for the appeasement of shareholders has been happening at least, since deregulation. I don't need to tell you that this is hardly the only societal construct where this happens. I'm also not attempting to make the claim that an obese person is somehow less of a person that "deserves" less.

What I am saying, is currently, the way things have shaped up and are structured, is that if you're incapable of fitting down the aisle, or even walking the length of the jet bridge, you are a fucking safety issue and that in an emergency you will be responsible for people dying. I had better be closer to the nearest emergency exit that may be behind me, than you.

Edit:
For the record, unlike a West Virginian coal miner, please kill this industry for the betterment of all society and provide me government assistance and opportunity to reeducate and change jobs.

Edit 2:
To @Jm_ s point about weight and balance, I've witnessed "powered mobility scooters" weighing more than 600lbs loaded into cargo pits. Add a 400, 500, or 600 lb passenger, and youre possibly 800 lbs or more over a "standardized" weight with baggage. This happens regularly. One presumes this information has been passed on to the crew and/or load planning for safety purposes, but all it takes is one "I forgot" from the ramp or one baby captain who forgets to carry the 1 and the only place the airplane goes is to the scene of the accident.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not defending the airline industry. I get to watch the myriad of ways it's broken and terrible from the front seats, 40+ hours a week. The current system is absolutely deeply flawed. Name me an industry that's not. The Race to the Bottom for the appeasement of shareholders has been happening at least, since deregulation. I don't need to tell you that this is hardly the only societal construct where this happens. I'm also not attempting to make the claim that an obese person is somehow less of a person that "deserves" less.

What I am saying, is currently, the way things have shaped up and are structured, is that if you're incapable of fitting down the aisle, or even walking the length of the jet bridge, you are a fucking safety issue and that in an emergency you will be responsible for people dying. I had better be closer to the nearest emergency exit that may be behind me, than you.

Edit:
For the record, unlike a West Virginian coal miner, please kill this industry for the betterment of all society and provide me government assistance and opportunity to reeducate and change jobs.
1682009849277.png

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

Edit:

Edit 2:
To @Jm_ s point about weight and balance, I've witnessed "powered mobility scooters" weighing more than 600lbs loaded into cargo pits. Add a 400, 500, or 600 lb passenger, and youre possibly 800 lbs or more over a "standardized" weight with baggage. This happens regularly. One presumes this information has been passed on to the crew and/or load planning for safety purposes, but all it takes is one "I forgot" from the ramp or one baby captain who forgets to carry the 1 and the only place the airplane goes is to the scene of the accident.
What airline you work for,and how long?

Avy

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
What airline you work for,and how long?

Avy
It will be 21 years in July. Which is long enough for me to know better than to ever say who I work for on the internet. Well, that and the fact that it's literally against company policy. Especially in light of this conversation.

Plus, believe it or not, I actually kind of enjoy what I do.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
It will be 21 years in July. Which is long enough for me to know better than to ever say who I work for on the internet. Well, that and the fact that it's literally against company policy. Especially in light of this conversation.

Plus, believe it or not, I actually kind of enjoy what I do.
[
Yeah,I deleted like a half paragraph cause I knew the above.

I don’t know how you got by me workin as you do? My Favorite smell is Jet Fuel. I thought I was the Only one,then I saw a rear License Plate Cover that said the exact same thing goin to work one day. Man,did I Laugh my ass off.

You and Jm seem to have no knowledge of the Rare Fires that do happen,and what happens afterword? The Insane Panic. The No Rules Apply,the stomping,crushing,and complete Hell to get out. Now,Avy knows all about this matter very well as it has ahold of me from my Father,and I Love it. Of All the Fires I can think of,which goes back to the 70s,I can’t remember a Fat Person causing the Death of any passenger due to clogging the isle,or door. I can tell you which accident made All Airplanes require lights on the floor to exit though. It don’t matter what you look like,a skinny fuck can fuck it all up!

Avy

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
comfy trains.
i am shocked at the level of non security at train stations....

at the charlotte amtrak you check a 55 gallon drum of diesel/fertilizer/timer and they would not notice....