Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Why, son, the shadow or your ass must weigh a hundred pounds!

Careful. Some people here are sensitive to the implication that fat people have a real and sometimes dangerous effect on safety of flight.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

I can't wait to see that 67-92% pay raise the pilot group got this year applied to the maintenance department!

:rolleyes:
It's lowish to middlin' for a (domestic) major. That's United's starting pay. Teamsters just got a newer contract (November if memory serves) that came with a not great bump in pay from where they were. Scale tops out in 6 years at 60 some an hour. Varies a bit with location, shift, and additional qualifications. Delta seems to be leading the pack currently with pay but things are pretty hot right now and could change any time. FedEx and UPS are where the REAL money is, but they are pretty hard to get on with. It's a good time to be an aircraft mechanic if you're willing to destroy your health and family life by working nights, weekends and holidays for the rest of your life. Most majors are hiring techs right out of school right now as long as you know righty tighty/lefty loosy and can fog a mirror. That shit simply did not happen when I got out of A&P school 2+ decades ago. This image is slightly out of date, but gives you an idea.

Southwest's Agreement in Principle with it's Union is making the rounds on the interwebz. Assuming it's ratified starting pay at Southwest would be just about what I make after 22 years at a regional. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty happy where I am and doing what (little) I do, but good lord if that isn't both insulting and incredibly tempting.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Southwest's Agreement in Principle with it's Union is making the rounds on the interwebz. Assuming it's ratified starting pay at Southwest would be just about what I make after 22 years at a regional. :rolleyes:

I'm pretty happy where I am and doing what (little) I do, but good lord if that isn't both insulting and incredibly tempting.

Well damn, after the 5th year you are making more than me as a software engineer. :rofl:

I'm not one of those making $300k+ to do nothing.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
In other ‘fuck the passenger’ news….

Most importantly for the exit requirements, when a passenger stands up the extension immediately flips out of the way, reverting to the exit-safe configuration.
<snip>
but note that the latching mechanism is designed to fail “open” so the seat should default to retracted, meaning the plane can still fly even if the extension is not working correctly.
Uh huh......
:rofl:

Perhaps I still retain an modicum of optimism but no way does that make it past regulatory agencies.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Best for me would be drug me, throw me in the hold, then inject me with something to wake me up when we get there. That basically be like a star trek transporter from my perspective.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Best for me would be drug me, throw me in the hold, then inject me with something to wake me up when we get there. That basically be like a star trek transporter from my perspective.
That’s basically what I used to do when I filled my Camelbak with Vodka before the Patriot Act. Those were different times!

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
one too many honeymoons imho....

Dude has the most miles flown of anyone ever.
$0.013 cents a mile flown.
Plus he has made a killing on the air miles.
I think he got his moneys worth.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Dude has the most miles flown of anyone ever.
$0.013 cents a mile flown.
Plus he has made a killing on the air miles.
I think he got his moneys worth.

That is about 7 years of his life in an airborne disease tube. Probably one or two more sitting on the ground and a few more sitting around airports. FTFS.