Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"Deferred is preferred!"
that rolled out of your keyboard five minutes after toshi posted that

like you didn't even need to think about it

like it was a common phrase on the tip of your tongue because you use it regularly in your profession

I don't fly unless I'll get fired for not flying so technically I could do more. I think I need to do more.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I used to do the national sales and tradeshow circuit flying around the country from 1990 to 2000. It got to the point where I was on a flight at least twice a week all year long. Since the I think I have been on a plane 6 times Round trip to Cabo for our anniversary, Cozumel for a friends wedding and Arlington National Cemetery for Ruth's Father's Funeral. I don't miss flying at all. Whoops I did forget Stunt flying in a biplane, that I would go do again
40685384_2293647033985627_8114120398209024000_o.jpg
40628793_2293861827297481_2688550000018849792_o.jpg
40626769_2293862290630768_7839108196227612672_o.jpg

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
flap fairing/canoe/boromir

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
remind me not to fly in Russia eh

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I am sure I’ll regret posting this, but it is so much easier to fly with a bike right now! No charge, no hassel.

20 years ago it was treated like a federal crime to even think about flying with a bike…

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I am sure I’ll regret posting this, but it is so much easier to fly with a bike right now! No charge, no hassel.

20 years ago it was treated like a federal crime to even think about flying with a bike…
I organized a campaign here to lobby the "airline" to treat bikes in cases the same as they treat golf clubs and skis, using feedback and requests. And when you see some of the "ski" and "club" "nests" they accept, things that are the ginormous multi-set/pair things, it's absolutely ridiculous to have the double standard and be charging $250 for a bike. I am totally cool if they want to set a 50lb weight limit and an overweight charge if over, it's easy enough to modify my bike and take off enough parts or just pay the fee (because 50lb is the weight limit for "standard" baggage), but the ridiculous fees that they were charging were out of control. And then it seemed like not too long after this one, several more "fell in line" and were no longer ridiculous. I only rent a bike at a park if I don't want to trash my own, but otherwise, I bring it all the time, work and pleasure trips.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I organized a campaign here to lobby the "airline" to treat bikes in cases the same as they treat golf clubs and skis, using feedback and requests. And when you see some of the "ski" and "club" "nests" they accept, things that are the ginormous multi-set/pair things, it's absolutely ridiculous to have the double standard and be charging $250 for a bike. I am totally cool if they want to set a 50lb weight limit and an overweight charge if over, it's easy enough to modify my bike and take off enough parts or just pay the fee (because 50lb is the weight limit for "standard" baggage), but the ridiculous fees that they were charging were out of control. And then it seemed like not too long after this one, several more "fell in line" and were no longer ridiculous. I only rent a bike at a park if I don't want to trash my own, but otherwise, I bring it all the time, work and pleasure trips.
I just realized that the fees had changed at United. I will be bringing my bike on as many work trips as I can this year.

It will be a bit of a pain, because I’ll have three pretty big check bags - Luggage, work case & bike case. However being able to ride when traveling should be worth it - I hope.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Guess I jinxed myself.

Been in my seat the gate with the door open for about 45 minutes. Maintenance issue. “We’re trying to fix the problem right now, but it’s not cooperating at the moment.”

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Guess I jinxed myself.

Been in my seat the gate with the door open for about 45 minutes. Maintenance issue. “We’re trying to fix the problem right now, but it’s not cooperating at the moment.”
You definitely want the doors closed for flying.