Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Look at the big dome on me.
ETOPS = SRS BIZNSS

I'm mildly skeptical for a couple reasons that a repeat pressurization fault is related to the plug failure. It's probably related, but not necessarily and could very well be coincidental. 1. Brand new airplanes always have bugs and kinks to work out. 2. Crew reported that when switching to manual mode the aircraft remained pressurized and otherwise worked normally in flight. I'm not at all familiar with how this works on the average boeing product, but every commercial aircraft I've ever worked on the differences between automatic pressurization and manual pressurization is usually just a different switch, and a different outflow valve. These are not terribly complex systems generally speaking. 3. It's reported that MX was unable to duplicate the problem on the ground. It's incredibly difficult to fix something that isn't broken. If it were me, 3 writeups in a month certainly suggests an issue, but the fact pressure isn't being lost in manual mode kind of points to a problem with the auto mode, not an issue of losing Delta P. Maybe throw a new outflow valve or controller at it and see if it repeats, not go looking for some kind of extraordinary manufacturing flaw in the airframe. I'd be curious to know how many people in the maintenance dept at any major airline operating a MAX in this particular configuration are even aware that this fakey-plug door was a thing before this incident. I'll bet you it wasn't many.

Suggests merely that no one thought to kill power to the electrical system or pull the CVR until after the two hour window. I'm not sure why this is even news. The only thing we're missing out on is probably a bunch of "WHAT THE SHIT?!?!"s from the flight crew.

Re; Pressurization system
The cabin pressurization system maintains a safe, comfortable cabin pressure altitude and, under normal operations, the maximum cabin pressure altitude is around 8,000 ft. A postaccident review of cabin pressure/cabin altitude data before the decompression event showed that the cabin pressure control system had functioned per design with no cabin altitude or cabin rate exceedances. However, the NTSB’s examination of the airplane’s maintenance logs identified entries indicating that a pressure controller light had illuminated on three previous flights. Pressurization on the 737-9 is managed by a triple-redundant system with two automated pressure controllers and a manual back-up system. An issue with one controller prompts the system to switch to the alternate controller automatically. If both automated pressure controllers fail, a manual back-up system can be used, which is operated by the pilots. Any one of these three systems is fully capable of maintaining safe cabin pressurization. To ensure a complete study of the pressurization system, the NTSB retained the two cabin pressure controllers and the outflow valve for further study

Re; CVR
The CVR and FDR were removed from the airplane and brought to the NTSB’s Vehicle Recorder Laboratory in Washington, DC, for download of the data. The accident airplane was required to be equipped with a CVR that retained, at minimum, the last 2 hours of audio information, including flight crew communications and other sounds inside the cockpit. A CVR starts recording when the aircraft is powered on and will continue to record until the aircraft is powered down or the CVR is deactivated, either by a loss of electrical power after a major event or by manually deactivating the CVR’s circuit breaker after a less severe event. The CVR was downloaded successfully; however, it was determined that the audio from the accident flight had been overwritten. The CVR circuit breaker had not been manually deactivated after the airplane landed following the accident in time to preserve the accident flight recording.
I hadn't seen this until I read the report; but 25A and 26A clearly almost departed the aircraft early. :fie:
As seen in figure 7, Seat 25A was rotated out and aft approximately 10°–20° toward the opening. The seatback of Seat 26A was rotated forward and outboard.
If memory serves these seats were unoccupied, but good lord, that's close...... Had they been occupied the additional arm /acting forces may have been enough to eject them.

Whomever put the plug back in needs a lawyer NOT provided by Boeing or Spirit.
Overall, the observed damage patterns and absence of contact damage or deformation around holes associated with the vertical movement arrestor bolts and upper guide track bolts in the upper guide fittings, hinge fittings, and recovered aft lower hinge guide fitting indicate that the four bolts that prevent upward movement of the MED plug were missing before the MED plug moved upward off the stop pads.......<snip>.................. Records show the rivets were replaced per engineering requirements on Non-Conformance (NC) Order 145-8987-RSHK-1296-002NC completed on September 19, 2023, by Spirit AeroSystems personnel. Photo documentation obtained from Boeing shows evidence of the left-hand MED plug closed with no retention hardware (bolts) in the three visible locations (the aft upper guide track is covered with insulation and cannot be seen in the photo). See figure 16. This image was attached to a text message between Boeing team members on September 19, 2023, around 1839 local. These Boeing personnel were discussing interior restoration after the rivet rework was completed during second shift operations that day.
Interviews of Boeing and Spirit AeroSystems’ personnel will be scheduled at a future date.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
with enough pressure anything's possible, sure, but I'm broad enough that I don't think I'd fit unless thoroughly liquified already
Fun fact:
There has been speculation that a human body liquifying as it traveled through a small zone of differential pressure might in fact be what caused Aloha Airlines flight 243 to be as badly damaged as it was. The phenomenon is known as "hydraulic hammering" or hydraulic shock. Not to say that the accepted events of failure are wrong, there was definitely an explosive structural failure caused by a lack of maintenance, just that departure of the flights sole victim greatly exacerbated the failure.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
anyone can fit in any hole if one’s not a bitch

and if near-infinite pressure is applied across it

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Listening to a man die in the aisle next to me was a very, very sobering experience. At least it was discreet. This sounds just awful.

I do not want a bloody Mary anymore, thank you very much.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Look,I don’t know about you silly rabbits,but Avy is watching the VistaJet Landing on 24R in LA. It’s so Hot! Taylor Swift is in the House! Oh My God!
I am Live on YT watching this,unreal. As you know,she will off to Las Vegas. This is Sublime. There is no shot of her getting off the 100 million dollar Jet,so I am just greatful for what I can see. Ehehehehe.

Avy is a Huge Airplane Fan,Taylor came across my YT channel of planes Landing. Beautiful Jet,who makes it?

Avy

Thats Funny,I guessed it right,100 million dollar Jet.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Why don't you draw me like you do your fancy French DH boy's Avy?
DaveW,I have a big day In the AM. I was very surprised by the Taylor Jet,I was trying to relax and think of good memories when I was a Lad.

Jet Fuel is my favorite smell.

I thought it would be funny,SuperBowl and all?

Now,as to you’re question,I have no idea what you are asking Avy,please forgive me.

Avy