Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There was a single Windows 95 PC at US Bank that ran the machine that cut open the mail and made an image of the checks folks mailed in for bill payments. It wasn't allowed on the network, it was stand alone.
I believe this. US Bank is the gov contractor for CCs and it's the absolute worst interface I've ever seen. I don't know why or how it takes so long for transactions to post...when on my own personal card I see it pretty much instantly. I would never in a million years recommend US Bank based on their CC stuff.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I believe this. US Bank is the gov contractor for CCs and it's the absolute worst interface I've ever seen. I don't know why or how it takes so long for transactions to post...when on my own personal card I see it pretty much instantly. I would never in a million years recommend US Bank based on their CC stuff.
I've worked at 3 different banks and they all scared me when you see behind the curtain.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's not so much an issue with the technology (it is still working), the issue is the lack of support. US Bank had internal incentives to learn Cobol trying to get the next generation of folks at least up to speed. It hasn't been taught in schools in over 30 years. And if you have ever done anything with a mainframe, it isn't a cool graphical interface.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It's not so much an issue with the technology (it is still working), the issue is the lack of support. US Bank had internal incentives to learn Cobol trying to get the next generation of folks at least up to speed. It hasn't been taught in schools in over 30 years. And if you have ever done anything with a mainframe, it isn't a cool graphical interface.
Thanks for making me feel ancient. :thumb:
I used to code COBOL and a little RPG3 on the big 'puters and xbase (mostly Clipper compiler) on the PC's after they became a bit more ubiquitous. Gave up coding for playing with routers and firewalls. After a dozen years retired, I would be of absolutely no use anymore. And I am perfectly ok with it; I hated chasing damn periods anyway. :rofl:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Thanks for making me feel ancient. :thumb:
I used to code COBOL and a little RPG3 on the big 'puters and xbase (mostly Clipper compiler) on the PC's after they became a bit more ubiquitous. Gave up coding for playing with routers and firewalls. After a dozen years retired, I would be of absolutely no use anymore. And I am perfectly ok with it; I hated chasing damn periods anyway. :rofl:
To be honest, if you can read and possibly write it, you can make HUGE dollars consulting. It is truly a dying artform.