Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

CRASHED / A Boeing 767F Atlas Air operating for Amazon Prime Air with 3 people on-board has crashed in Trinity Bay, near Texas at 12:45 PM local time, flight #5Y3591 from Miami to Houston. The aircraft’s registration is N1217A, 27 years old, first flew in 1992. Follow us also on twitter.com/AeronewsRO for updates.

Live stream https://abc13.com/crews-responding-to-cargo-jet-crash-in…/…/

FAA confirms the crash, NTSB will launch a Go Team to investigate the accident. Preliminary info from a person familiar with the crash: there was no distress call prior to the accident.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
hmmmmm.... I feel like I probably shouldn't fly South West till this mess clears up.
Well, if there was ever a time when shit was not being swept under the rug, this would probably be it, assuming your flight hasn't been canceled.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The thing that always boggles me is the fact that Alaska Airlines is flying into crazy winter places with snow and frozen runways and they don't go off the end of the runway. They do this every single day, many times a day, to many places across Alaska, with less runway than many regional airports, let alone major ones. Some of them, like Kotzebue have a giant frost-heave in the runway and with many of these, it matters significantly where you touchdown, or you aren't going to stop on the runway. Every day.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The thing that always boggles me is the fact that Alaska Airlines is flying into crazy winter places with snow and frozen runways and they don't go off the end of the runway. They do this every single day, many times a day, to many places across Alaska, with less runway than many regional airports, let alone major ones. Some of them, like Kotzebue have a giant frost-heave in the runway and with many of these, it matters significantly where you touchdown, or you aren't going to stop on the runway. Every day.
But they have special planes for this. with reinforced undercarriage, and different wheels. and other stuff... I'm not an expert, but I think that makes a difference.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
But they have special planes for this. with reinforced undercarriage, and different wheels. and other stuff... I'm not an expert, but I think that makes a difference.
No, they don't, just standard 737s. Back in the day they used to have gravel kits and the like on the classic 737s, Northern Air Cargo still might (they had classics as of last year, but have been phasing them out, but they still might have some of the kits), but there's nothing special about the 737s that Alaska uses, standard -700s and -800s for inter-Alaska flights.

A few years back they had half of the width of one of the runways closed and they tightened up their x-wind limits and weather limits and still flew there, but they have a very pragmatic approach. It's the company culture that drives most of these things.

So Boeing's taking their time to update software governing the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control while airlines in the United States continue to fly the 737 MAX 8, endangering peoples lives to protect profits while the FAA sits on its ass. The oligarchy rolls on...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So Boeing's taking their time to update software governing the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) flight control while airlines in the United States continue to fly the 737 MAX 8, endangering peoples lives to protect profits while the FAA sits on its ass. The oligarchy rolls on...
Early Tuesday, Dennis A. Muilenburg, the chief executive of Boeing, spoke to President Trump on the phone and made the case that the 737 Max planes should not be grounded in the United States, according to two people briefed on the conversation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/12/business/boeing-737-grounding-faa.html

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
FAA issued an airworthyness memo on the 737-max without knowing the cause of the Ethiopian crash. I am sure this and the above posts are completely unrelated.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
FAA issued an airworthyness memo on the 737-max without knowing the cause of the Ethiopian crash. I am sure this and the above posts are completely unrelated.
But you'll still have your freedumb as you're plummeting to the ground.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But Trump talked with Boeing’s CEO, so it’s ok, right?