Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Well it sounds like this isn't exactly a new thing and the FAA may have been looking the other way. Also that plane is 27 years old. I can only imagine how many hours it has on it.

It's kind of/sort of irrelevant how old the aircraft is. Guaranteed at that age the engine has been swapped out several times, and the fan blades have probably been swapped out of the engine too. If this is in fact a case of fan blade failure and not the inner stage turbine seal like we first speculated, the question will then become how many hours/cycles were on the engine and/or the blades and was United meeting inspection requirements on the blades, especially given the history of component failure.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
In the past decade of very regular business flying the most clapped out pieces of ancient shit I have ever flown in were on "tourist" routes. Specifically, SFO to HNL and IAH to SJO. I dunno if it is just chance, but every time I've flown those routes the planes have been downright scary. Like "...well, I guess I got to live a pretty full life..." kind of scary.

#cooluselessanecdotebrah

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
In the past decade of very regular business flying the most clapped out pieces of ancient shit I have ever flown in were on "tourist" routes. Specifically, SFO to HNL and IAH to SJO. I dunno if it is just chance, but every time I've flown those routes the planes have been downright scary. Like "...well, I guess I got to live a pretty full life..." kind of scary.

#cooluselessanecdotebrah

Almost like airlines are aggressively cutting costs on price competitive routes. Almost like cheap ass tickets actually cost something.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Boeing doesn't have much to do with this. It was a Pratt and Whitney engine that blew up. Airlines got to choose what engine they wanted a lot like choosing an outboard for a pontoon boat.
And who decides what boxes are available to check of available approved engines when those airlines order those planes? :rofl:

By that logic alcoa is responsible for the cabin ripping apart.

We all know it was squeeb. It's honorable you're trying to cover for him but the truth will set us all free.

Squeeb. We know who you are. Anything you'd like to discuss? Anything relating to ball bearings perhaps?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
And who decides what boxes are available to check of available approved engines when those airlines order those planes? :rofl:

By that logic alcoa is responsible for the cabin ripping apart.

We all know it was squeeb. It's honorable you're trying to cover for him but the truth will set us all free.

Squeeb. We know who you are. Anything you'd like to discuss? Anything relating to ball bearings perhaps?

I like to think of myself as a less well meaning Constantine Shaklin, but I'll take it as a compliment.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
It's kind of/sort of irrelevant how old the aircraft is. Guaranteed at that age the engine has been swapped out several times, and the fan blades have probably been swapped out of the engine too. If this is in fact a case of fan blade failure and not the inner stage turbine seal like we first speculated, the question will then become how many hours/cycles were on the engine and/or the blades and was United meeting inspection requirements on the blades, especially given the history of component failure.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Could go in multiple threads, but I'll go for this one.

Got emails this morning that Air Canada was now going to refund, rather than hold as credit the COVID cancelled flights I'd booked last year for myself, wife and parents to YVR. Credit was currently still valid to the start of July next year, but doubtful that I'd have been able to use it by then. That should be $660ish coming back to my credit card.

United are still clinging to the $530ish in credit that was the return flights for my wife and I...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
United and Delta have extended their flight credits' expiration dates a time or two already.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
United and Delta have extended their flight credits' expiration dates a time or two already.
United credit is currently good to March 31st next year.
Weirdly, the credit with AC for my parents expired earlier, July 6th 2022 versus 18th. Despite the fact I booked all flights at the same time.

Hopefully we'll work out something to use the United credit before it expires, very unlikely there will be a Canada trip with the DH bikes this year.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Back to the hanger with ya

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Boeing: the ellsworth of aviation

Just power it with hydrogen
Boeing still cant send us a kit without multiple things being broken, incorrectly built, not the right length...etc. And its mostly filled with things only they can provide us, so if something is wrong, it takes awhile for them to replace it. Took years for them to finally backfill us on everything we were missing. Still waiting on them to send the next kit, despite needing it soon. Then, it will still need inventoried. Its not like this is the 102nd time they have done these kits or anything. The one rep that got moved here permanently is still almost always in a meeting an unavailable to help. He is the only one that can approve the Non-Compliant Report to send us new parts. :rant:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Boeing still cant send us a kit without multiple things being broken, incorrectly built, not the right length...etc. And its mostly filled with things only they can provide us, so if something is wrong, it takes awhile for them to replace it. Took years for them to finally backfill us on everything we were missing. Still waiting on them to send the next kit, despite needing it soon. Then, it will still need inventoried. Its not like this is the 102nd time they have done these kits or anything. The one rep that got moved here permanently is still almost always in a meeting an unavailable to help. He is the only one that can approve the Non-Compliant Report to send us new parts. :rant:
I got it on good authority there's a guy walking around with a tape measure and flashlight on the factory floor........not sure how this could be happening.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I for one look forward to the opportunity to spend less time in the air after my 4 hour delay for a much higher price and fuel burned.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
So when police take you to a hospital after you've been apprehended, do you have to show you are insured before receiving treatment? If not, do they have to transport you to a different hospital (or maybe one where you Insurance will pay)?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So when police take you to a hospital after you've been apprehended, do you have to show you are insured before receiving treatment? If not, do they have to transport you to a different hospital (or maybe one where you Insurance will pay)?
EMTALA means you’ll get emergency care and stabilization anywhere. You may get charged for it at book rate or out of network, sure, but you won’t be turned away a la private hospitals in India.