Quantcast

Shiver assistance needed

allenzoom

Chimp
Sep 21, 2005
colorado springs
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2004 Shiver, but I am skeptical about this purchase because outside of the graphics, I can't tell an 04 Shiver from a 2002 or a 2003. So is there anyway I can look at this fork to make sure it is a 2004? What are the differences between a 2004 shiver from the older models? ANy info would be greatly apprecited!

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
mtnbrider said:
I'm not sure how to tell? maybe color? But, why would someone lie about the year?
Who knows! But it wouldn't be too hard to slap a new set of stickers on an older fork and say it is a newer model to make more money off of it.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I was gonna say, 02, 03, 04 were all the same short of the stickers. Marzocchi hasn't had to change anything because nothings wrong with them. Go find another fork out there that has no changes in 3-4 year period.

Now, the 05's were all black I think. Black everything. And 2001's had red bottoms near the 20mm axle and didn't have holes from the stanchion guards. But the rest were all the same.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Ah ok. I was just selling my '01 Shivers and had heaps of guys that thought the '02 - '05 models were significantly better. Only diff is the bleed screws in the top caps and the colour/sticker schemes.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Actually if you got an 01-02 fork some of them had cartridge problems. Meaning the rebound holes were to big so the fork was too fast. After '03 the problem was fixed. My years my be off a bit but I do remember getting new carts through Marzocchi warranty. After '02 though they're all the same..all the way up to '05. The only difference between my '05 and a '02-04 is color...D

Sep 10, 2001
Actually, by 02 the Shiver cartridges were changed... The bleed screws are usually more of a headache than anything... But you can remove the preload knob, the c-clip underneath the knob and push down on the cartridge.. You will here the air escape. And you won't have to worry about stripping the bleed screws...

Brian

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
Can you just buy the bleed screws or find them at a local metric nut/bolt place?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
allenzoom said:
ok, well..... thanks for nothin

instead of coming here with an attitude, why dont you better go check that fork out and see for yourself how much abuse it has been through?

i mean, its no secret that a rider that cares for his equipment, could probably be selling an 02 shiver in much better shape than a what you could get from a big and abusive guy.

there is no magical answer to your question, youll have to find it out for yourself, thats the catch to buying used and thats why its cheaper than buying new.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
zedro said:
its a set screw on the topcap that lets out excess pressure. A fairly useless feature with no performance benefit.

that's not true Zedro......gotta get that air out, i can tell when there is air trapped in there.......let it out and the fork works better.....

allenzoom

Chimp
Sep 21, 2005
colorado springs
vitox said:
instead of coming here with an attitude, why dont you better go check that fork out and see for yourself how much abuse it has been through?

i mean, its no secret that a rider that cares for his equipment, could probably be selling an 02 shiver in much better shape than a what you could get from a big and abusive guy.

there is no magical answer to your question, youll have to find it out for yourself, thats the catch to buying used and thats why its cheaper than buying new.
First off this board is full of sarcasm, and I don't have an attitude. I am just joining in on the smack! Second, I would love to look at the fork first, however it is in another state so I can't. And I am aware that what ever it is that I buy could either be over used, abused or it could be a rare find and turn out to be a treasure. But since I can't physically see the fork untill it reaches my door, the only other option I have is to post a thread in hopes of finding an answer to my question.
And to those of you with the experience of owning a Shiver and passing on your info to me, regarding the differences.... Thank you!

revmonkey

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
off topic, but hte 05 models are the sweetest forks i've ever seen. i like the SC version especially :D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Duzitall said:
but it's fun to listen really hard to try and hear if any air comes out...or... goes in???
the Shivers pressures up over time because of the play between the cart-rod and the top cap. When the fork is extending on rebound, the rod is pulled down and the seal at the o-ring gets weak. The extension draws in air between the rod and topcap but is always nicely sealed on compression stroke since the seal is being compressed in that direction. So thats why the fork gains pressure over time.

When the rod is shimmed right at the e-ring you dont get that pressure gain overtime, so no need for setscrews.

some will give you bs about pressure changes at altitude....those are too small to make any difference alone

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
revmonkey said:
off topic, but hte 05 models are the sweetest forks i've ever seen. i like the SC version especially :D
But that's like 6 year old technology. I don't know that they're even rideable. Clearly, you shouldn't even get on the lift unless you're on one of the latest and greatest forks...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
zedro said:
the Shivers pressures up over time because of the play between the cart-rod and the top cap. When the fork is extending on rebound, the rod is pulled down and the seal at the o-ring gets weak.
Would this also be the reason my Shiver leaks oil out of the top.....?...........

Does anyone know where to get replacement O-rings for the TopCap and upper part of the cart......?........i asked Marz last year and they said no, maybe i talked to the wrong person.....

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Most all forks build pressure from heat and should be relieved by loosening the top caps. I like Zedro's theory and it may be true but other forks(my Kayaba MX fork with bleed secrews,all the zokes i've ever had,etc) build pressure too.Shivers do seem to build pressure more than other forks.

If you have an 888 remember to compress the fork past the o ring to let air escape.

OK more importantly. Shivers are discontinued and parts are getting scarce.A customer had a damper come apart and Zoke offered a 888 for cheap since they were out of dampers FOR EVER.

Oh, and Shivers are great forks,one of the most reliable forks Zoke has made.But not so great that i would run out and buy up spares for parts.

Krispy

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Cant Climb said:
Would this also be the reason my Shiver leaks oil out of the top.....?...........

Does anyone know where to get replacement O-rings for the TopCap and upper part of the cart......?........i asked Marz last year and they said no, maybe i talked to the wrong person.....
yeah thats a good indication.

i'm pretty sure a standard seal kit would have the right size, check McMaster.com.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
leprechaun said:
Most all forks build pressure from heat and should be relieved by loosening the top caps. I like Zedro's theory and it may be true but other forks(my Kayaba MX fork with bleed secrews,all the zokes i've ever had,etc) build pressure too.Shivers do seem to build pressure more than other forks.
yeah, but pressure buildup from heat alone goes back to nil when ambient temperature is resumed. In order keep pressure, there has to be new air vacuumed into the fork. The main seals could also contribute....basically air can only get in where it can get out.

Shivers seem to suffer the worst from the bad adjuster fit; i one day put one and one together, those with really bad fits also had really bad pressurising problems. The forks with cart adjusters are prone, i never had that problem with SSV forks, not between oil changes.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
That sucks that they've done away with the cartridges. I'm surprised as you can still find stuff for earley model marzocchi forks. I guess that sucks for me owning 2 shivers (SC and DC).

If mine messed up though and I got offered a 888 for cheap I'd probably do it. It'd have to be those key words.....CHEAP. Ebay usually has excellent deals going on 888RC's that people have been picking up for less than $700, new, never used and such. Thank god for the internet.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Spunger said:
That sucks that they've done away with the cartridges. I'm surprised as you can still find stuff for earley model marzocchi forks. I guess that sucks for me owning 2 shivers (SC and DC).

If mine messed up though and I got offered a 888 for cheap I'd probably do it. It'd have to be those key words.....CHEAP. Ebay usually has excellent deals going on 888RC's that people have been picking up for less than $700, new, never used and such. Thank god for the internet.
Stratos makes those replacement carts with the ID thing, and 888 bushings and seals are interchangeble, so there are options at least. I've wondered about modding ShiverMX carts to work on the chassis.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Mine is an 02 without the bleed screw things on it. They are pretty pointless anyway. Also I have seen many early model 02s with 01 graphics.

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
ohio said:
But that's like 6 year old technology. I don't know that they're even rideable. Clearly, you shouldn't even get on the lift unless you're on one of the latest and greatest forks...
Waahaahaa :D

EDIT: I always bled off the air after a few practice laps and between motos in my motocross days. It's actually both, heat and air past the seals that pressurizes the fork. Mostly air past the seals because often only 1 side will pssst :thumb: that's my vast moto experience speaking (I'm old).

wooley_89

Chimp
Feb 17, 2005
from my experience of owning 05 shivers, ive come to 2 conclussions:

my bike rocks​
and that shivers are AWESOME forks​

oh and they look sick.

does anybody know how many were produced for 05? and where to find the serial number? supposedly mine were one of the very last if ont last ones ever made :D lol.

any way, im finished bragging so... thread jack over :) haha

Attachments

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
02 says on the fork with a little circle in the mdidle of the graphics on the upper tubes that its an 02. 03 has the same graphics but doesnt say the year

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
mobius said:
02 says on the fork with a little circle in the mdidle of the graphics on the upper tubes that its an 02. 03 has the same graphics but doesnt say the year
problem is it's not uncommon to change sticker kits. Hell my stickers lasted about a year before i peeled the rest off.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
too bad about the carts no longer being available...I hope nothing goes wrong with mine. I like the 888 alot but I like the Shiver better...D

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
On my Shiver it is a 2002 and yet the replacement stickers that are on it now are the 2001 ones. Persoanlly I like the 2001 Uppers stickers better. But the 2005 owns all.

DirtDivaDH

Chimp
Oct 16, 2005
Beautiful Moorpark, CA
Actually the bleed screw is important if you are traveling to places that involve an increase in altitude, which causes an increase in pressure which needs to be released. the problem is that on Marzocchi they continously break. also I believe the 2004 had black stanchion tubes.