Quantcast

Shiver gone?

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
I've got my '04, even with it's problems, but the shiver was/is a great fork to ride. I've never felt anything smoother or more adjustable, now only if mine didn't lose so much oil!

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The World Is COming To An End
The bullits are gone, the shivers, the super-ts are now oem, turners are all hardtails and ridgeds. Whats next hayes will start making rim brakes only?

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
Yeah, it really does suck. It is basically an indestructable, more pimp version of the dorado, but it weighs alot more. Im glad i got my 04' race editions.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Midget said:
Is it true that they aren't bringing the shvier back in '06? I heard about rumors, and they don't have it on the site... are they really gone?
It's strange, because there does seem to be a market for the Shiver. I know there was a lot of people who wanted them this year, but they didn't make enough for everyone to get one. It seems like it is the end of inverted forks. No more Dorado and Shiver--if you want an inverted fork you have to go with a White Bros or a Stratos...assuming they are still making their inverted forks.

Grizzle

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
La Crescenta, CA
What do you mean no more dorado? When i talked to the guys at manitou last thursday, i heard no mention of this, just them being stoked on their dorado. I talked to the guys at marzocchi, and i believe they said that they are still making the shiver for 06', but they are no longer importing it to the US. I could be wrong. It does seem odd that there are so few inverted forks on the market now though.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Grizzle said:
What do you mean no more dorado? When i talked to the guys at manitou last thursday, i heard no mention of this, just them being stoked on their dorado. I talked to the guys at marzocchi, and i believe they said that they are still making the shiver for 06', but they are no longer importing it to the US. I could be wrong. It does seem odd that there are so few inverted forks on the market now though.
Dorados are long gone, and good riddance. I ran my '05 all season, it pretty much blew up at every race (damper). I knew that there was a problem when I called to get a replacement damper assembly and they sent me 4 extra ones. I talked to various Manitou peeps at Mammoth and Intertbike and they basically said "Sorry about that, get a Travis". I pretty much was expecting that response.

As for the Shiver, I'm pretty sure Lumpy said that there wil be none available in the US...I could be wrong though. I miss my 2003 shiver, it saved me oh so many times from certain death. :evil:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have a SC shiver and a DC shiver. I love the way both feel but to make it better, they're so simple to tune. Add oil or change springs. And it's stright forward with no hidden pieces you gotta disassemble or anything. I haven't had to change seals or anything. I just change the oil and ride.

With the 888 taking over oh say.........their entire FR/DH market (well 888 and 66) there's almost no reason to keep making the shiver. At one point in videos (as that's where you see the zocchi sponsored riders) they all had shiver's or super T's. Now that the 888's are their main fork that's all you see for any riding in a video (which is more than most of us do). I'm not saying go by a 888 because wade simmons rides one, but you know what I mean. They get free products and such so I'd run anything as well.

It's cool for the crowd wanting to upgrade to the 888rc as 04's had the casting issues but the 05's don't seem to. So atleast when the new 06 ones are out there'll be deals out there on the 05's and such. Even though I like the newer ones if it means saving $300+ on a fork I'm for it.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
Spunger said:
......... So atleast when the new 06 ones are out there'll be deals out there on the 05's and such. Even though I like the newer ones if it means saving $300+ on a fork I'm for it.
Just got my 05 fork deal last month. I changed to the fatboy springs, slipped in a low speed compression sleeve and replaced the fish oil with some secret slippery stuff. A few rides and some tweeken on the knobes and oil hight...best fork I have ever been on. Now when I can't feel anything it's not because my hands have gone past pain to numb, come to think of it they don't even hurt anymore like they used to. Thanks Lumberjack. :thumb: :thumb:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Midget said:
I've never felt anything <snip> more adjustable

This shivver isnt that adjustable at all. :think:

Rebound, Oil Weight and Spring Rate. Its about as simple as it gets. A grate fork. I will be holding onto mine for next year for sure.

Oct 5, 2005
As your attorney, I advise that the 2006 888RC2X is hotness. The terms of the contract dictate that you check out those sweet lines on the new crowns, the hi/lo compression damping, and the Michael Jackson-esque used-to-be-black-but-now-white lowers.

Signed,
- Your attorney

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
The flex goes away when you start going thorugh the travel, which has been posted many times on this board, but even the flex that is there is hardly noticable. Anyone know about how much it costs to get the internals replaced? I had a rebound rod break in the middle of the cartridge, and the mechanic that replaced it screwed something up so it's been draining oil out the top. Any other ideas on what the problem might be?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Midget said:
The flex goes away when you start going thorugh the travel, which has been posted many times on this board, but even the flex that is there is hardly noticable. Anyone know about how much it costs to get the internals replaced? I had a rebound rod break in the middle of the cartridge, and the mechanic that replaced it screwed something up so it's been draining oil out the top. Any other ideas on what the problem might be?
I think that has to do with the seals on the top. My fork started doing that (oil leaking out from around the cartridge rod on the top cap) for no apparent reason. I tore down, cleaned, lubed and reassembled the fork and it still leaked. On mine it's a really slow, small leak so I have not bothered to fix it.