Quantcast

Shiver or Monster T

D

dropmnster

I need some help I dont know what fork I should get a shiver or a monster T If you guys could point me in the right way it would be cool.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
What kind of riding do you plan on doing? They're both excellent forks, however the monster is damn heavy. I have two friends with the monster T on a bullit and a scream, they love it for doing drops and stuff, but it just makes the front of the bike so damn heavy. If you're looking to getting into racing DH and stuff, or for something that won't weigh the front of your bike down so much, the shiver is great.

Keep in mind the shiver is great for drops too, some just say the Monster T can just handle them better overall once the height goes up

-Adam

D

dropmnster

I plan on doing mostly FR but some DH racing next year. My friend keeps on telling me that the shiver is not stiff is that true?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
If you plan on go stupid huge and thats all, then get the monster. If you're a normal human and mix up the dh/fr thing than go with the shiver.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
The shiver is pretty flexy due to the lack of an arch, but the damping (and weight) is good for racing. The new monsters (03 and up) are super big, burly and heavy- 14 pounds vs the 9.5 pound shiver but they're great for BIG hucking and drops. Just don't expect to be able to manual, pick the front end up or have a pedal friendly bike.

If you want a good compromise find an 01-02 monster, they're stiff as hell, the damping feels good and they're the same weight as a shiver (according to the digital scale at my local shop- they're both 9.5 pounds).

Everyone I've met who has a shiver hates it for anything but racing, but that's just a few people's opinion....

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
zane said:
The shiver is pretty flexy due to the lack of an arch, but the damping (and weight) is good for racing. The new monsters (03 and up) are super big, burly and heavy- 14 pounds vs the 9.5 pound shiver but they're great for BIG hucking and drops. Just don't expect to be able to manual, pick the front end up or have a pedal friendly bike.

If you want a good compromise find an 01-02 monster, they're stiff as hell, the damping feels good and they're the same weight as a shiver (according to the digital scale at my local shop- they're both 9.5 pounds).

Everyone I've met who has a shiver hates it for anything but racing, but that's just a few people's opinion....
Hates it except for racing? I've never met anyone that didn't like their Shiver. Don't see why someone would like it for racing but not anything else. Go shiver between these 2. The new monster is cool but stupid heavy. Why not an 888?

Older monster would be a good option too. The technology is still good and their durability is excellent. I'd be concerned about replacement parts if you did need anything but old Monsters can be had for very little money.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
FYI, the 2001/2002 Monsters have the same damping and basically the same internal air volume as the Shivers, so they can be setup the exactly same, but with 20mm less travel on the Monsters.

Pedalist

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Clayton, NC
Monster-T 2002 or older is the best **** I have ever used over all. Shivers do flex the newer monsters are heavier than the older ones.

Eigil

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
East County
Get the Shiver. I miss landings, land uphill, etc., and it doesn't even whimper. Plus it's lighter, faster, etc. Just get the Shiver. Besides, who doesn't love the moto inverted look?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
My shiver broke in half when I rode over a sidewalk once. Monster T rules your mother.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Eigil said:
Get the Shiver. I miss landings, land uphill, etc., and it doesn't even whimper. Plus it's lighter, faster, etc. Just get the Shiver. Besides, who doesn't love the moto inverted look?
It's the same weight as an 02 monster....

WSUDirtrider

Chimp
Aug 26, 2003
Montesano
Just my 2 cents worth. I've been riding an 01 monster for 3 and a half years now. I changed to PJ1 5 weight oil and change in once a month. No problems at all and still running the original seals with no leaks. Bushings have been changed one after 2 years of riding almost every day rain or shine here in Pullman and everday back home in Montesano. Super stiff and has survived dropping directly onto a fire hydrant from 10 feet....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
zedro said:
good thing i dont drop curbs... :rolleyes:

btw, did it break just below the crowns, where they would after you over-tightened them?

No way I couldnt get those stupid bolts too loosen even after beating them with a hammer and a chisel between the fork legs and the clamps and then the stupid fork broke and Marzocchi wouldnt even give me a warranty or sponsor me aftar that but monster T rules your mother anyway and dorados and boxxers suck to

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
BurlyShirley said:
No way I couldnt get those stupid bolts too loosen even after beating them with a hammer and a chisel between the fork legs and the clamps and then the stupid fork broke and Marzocchi wouldnt even give me a warranty or sponsor me aftar that but monster T rules your mother anyway and dorados and boxxers suck to
this is a joke right? you over tightened the bolts so much you couldn't even get them out???? :eek:

BTW, the Shivers upper legs are slightly bigger than the Monsters....just thought you should know

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
Start the weekend early did we BS? :)

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
zedro said:
this is a joke right? you over tightened the bolts so much you couldn't even get them out???? :eek:

BTW, the Shivers upper legs are slightly bigger than the Monsters....just thought you should know
No the fork i bought used off pink bike but the bolts were to tight and i didnt have allen renches and then the screwdrive just kept stripping out the stupid bolts becuase they were to tight and the chisel didnt work either to loosen it up

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
No the fork i bought used off pink bike but the bolts were to tight and i didnt have allen renches and then the screwdrive just kept stripping out the stupid bolts becuase they were to tight and the chisel didnt work either to loosen it up
He's cracked - must've been the revelation that Pressley was a MAN baby!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
BurlyShirley said:
ahhh so you're just mentally challenged....gotcha :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
zedro said:
ahhh so you're just mentally challenged....gotcha :thumb:
but that guy on pink bike said that he only did like three rides on th e shiver to but when i got it it was all dirty and stuff like he didnt evan take care of t and i go big so i figured it wasn safe cause shivers are flexy so when it broke i got a monster and it rules over boxxers and the rest to but you hve to know that the bolts in a shiver are no safe an the fork is not safe to its to felxy

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
BurlyShirley said:

This is a joke, right !? Well, - at least I hope so :confused:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
BurlyShirley said:
but that guy on pink bike said that he only did like three rides on th e shiver to but when i got it it was all dirty and stuff like he didnt evan take care of t and i go big so i figured it wasn safe cause shivers are flexy so when it broke i got a monster and it rules over boxxers and the rest to but you hve to know that the bolts in a shiver are no safe an the fork is not safe to its to felxy
i hope you're not allowed to have children....or that your current children if you have them are taken to a safe place....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
zedro said:
i hope you're not allowed to have children....or that your current children if you have them and taken to a safe place....
this is no place for flames of personl attax on me all i did was ride the fork that was to felxy to evan be riding for me because i go big and its people like you who are jealous n e way

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
BurlyShirley said:
this is no place for flames of personl attax on me all i did was ride the fork that was to felxy to evan be riding for me because i go big and its people like you who are jealous n e way
you should wear your helmet......probably on an everyday basis

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
zedro said:
you should wear your helmet......probably on an everyday basis
u havto were a helmet ne way when you go big like wade does and i do becuase you would get messt But beisides if you ride a shiver you will get messt no matter what its so felxy
an like i said and you no monster t rules your mother an boxxers and the rest

I cant beleive you're buying this. :D

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
u havto were a helmet ne way when you go big like wade does and i do becuase you would get messt But beisides if you ride a shiver you will get messt no matter what its so felxy
an like i said and you no monster t rules your mother an boxxers and the rest

I cant beleive you're buying this. :D
I was gonna say - you're just pissed because the last one you caught (while fishin' with Biggins) was tiny. Reel 'em in... :D Though I think Zedro's right about your not having children.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i am rocking a 2004 shiver on my bb7. it is a great fork. wicked plush. tons of adjustment.

there is something a bit strange about it. i am not sure if it does flex like some say, or if i am just not comfortable with the length of the fork and travel. before i got it, i had only ridden 5" single crowns on bikes with steepish (69*) head angles. my other rig is an urban bruiser with a funn rigid johnson fork. when i got the shiver, i put it on the bb7 and set the frame to the slack head angle setting with a 24" in the back. chopper. it rides fine on the firm pack. it felt good on the garbanzo runs at whistler in the roots and rocks. however, it feels odd in the soft stuff at big bear :( i am not sure if what i am feeling is flex or the effect of soft stuff on my slack steering rig. or a combination of the two.

my speculation based on what i have read and what i know of basic physics is this (correct me and educate me if i am wrong):

the shiver is most prone to flex when it is fully extended. as it sinks into compression, it gets stiffer since there is more leg overlap (true of any fork). when riding soft sandy stuff, the ground sometimes gives before the fork sinks into the travel, leaving the fork in the "more flexy" position. i am also running a big fat 3.0 gazza on a 36spoke Alex DX32 rim with a dh tube. this heavy hitter carries a large rotational mass and the physics of it rolling along at speed make it want to stay upright and not lean in the corners. that fights the fork and adds to the potential for flex.

as i said, the fork feels great on everything else. i did bottom it a few times on the a line rock drop. i think that had much to do with the transition i hit on the landing. as i moved from taking off and landing in the center to taking off and landing on the right, the bottoming stopped without any compression adjustment.

that is all for now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
BurlyShirley said:
Ooohh! that's classic!

dma528

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
Central Coast
Eigil said:
I would have to agree with Eigil, his shiver has lasted him and that says A LOT<!!!!!> I've watched Eigil bounce off of the dubmest things and the shiver doen't flinch.

Peace
-AD-

B

bigkonarider

well i had two Monster's 99+02 & loved em. Seems to deflect off stuff more than absorb it compared to the 01 Shiver i have now.
Shiver IS flexier-but that actually helps you from what Marzocchi say's via local bike shop dude..
I guess it comforms more to what you are plowing through.
I bottom it a little on the biggest drop every run where we ride-but i guess it won't hurt it???
I like it other than you have to BLEED the air outa it every 2x you ride...aye !
Monster-heavy+stiff
Shiver-plush & faster !