Quantcast

shiver or super t

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
did a search but did not find what I was looking for. I'm trying to decide between a shiver and a super t, both '04. I do mostly freeride with some dh mixed in. I weigh around 205 and it's going on an 04 bullit. weight is not a real issue but I read that the shiver is better for folks over 200 pounds (read that on another forum). I've ridden a shiver but not a super or even a junior t so I have no comparison. Looking for some advice from those with the knows. :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
well, the 04 super T only has one HSCV cartridge, while the Shiver not only has two, but they are bigger, so the shiver will have better damping no question. Because of this, I'd get the shiver, and the shiver can take a crazy amount of abuse (although the super T is no lightweight).

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I think Super T's (03 model) with the dual HSCV is what you'd want if you were a lighter rider. Smooth riders might get away with a Super T as well.

Heavy guys it's a Shiver. It is a pretty simple choice. It is just much stronger in general.

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
I weigh around 270 and I use a 2001 Super T without any problems. I don't go especially big or anything, but I'm not that smooth either. I think that just riding down rough trails is pretty abusive to the fork in my case. The Shiver is undoubtedly stronger, but I don't think you would have any problems with the Super T. If it's not a budget or weight issue, I'd go with the Shiver.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Save up a little more and get the 7" 888. Same weight and travel as the Super, but with the better damping and burliness of the Shiver.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
You might want to go Super T just to keep the weight down a bit if you are pedaling around. I had a Shiver on my Bullit (now same fork on a Tomac 204) and the angles were great and I felt very comfortable but it was too much for just trails and such. Can't beat the feeling, though....

Sep 10, 2001
For a Bullit, I would be inclined to go with a Super T.. It would keep the geometry closer to where SC intended it to be.

Brian

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
thanks for all the input. I was leaning towards the shiver, but I'm still not sure which way to go. I'm not the smoothest rider, but I'm not a tank either. This bike is my only bike so it's kind of a do it all bike. It gets used for trails, dj's, freeride and dh so I need something that will take all the abuse. All the replies have given me things to think about.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
I jst replaced my '02 Super T with an '03 Shiver. Runs great. I have them mounted on an '02 Bullit. Have the shock shuttle in the slack position. Only 2 rides on the Shiver, but I am very happy so far.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I'm trying to decide on almost the exact same situation same frame same fork options, except change the shiver to a 7" 888 (very similar axle to crowns)

I'm up in the air over this, I'm still not sure, the 888 is hands down a nicer fork but I'm with Brian on the whole Geo thing.....

can some people who ride a shiver/bullit combo give a short review or maybe even experience with a super t and shiver on a bullit... vs. eachother

my vote out of the shiver and super would be the super on a bullit.
I would also consider thinkin about that 7" 888 instead of that shiver......

I still can't decide

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
If you don't mind the extra 2 lbs, definitely go with the Shiver. In my opinion one of the best forks out there. Steering in harsh bumps is just incredible not to mention bottomless travel.

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
thanks for the pic mtnbikej that's one pimp ride. I was looking at my 04, santa cruz catalog and it says the 04 bullits are rated for 8" travel forks. so the whole geometry issue really wouldn't be an issue. unless that is a misprint. I'm really not considering the 888 at this time just due to price. I can get the shiver cheaper and money is an issue at this point. Just want to make sure I get the best fork for how I ride. weight isn't an issue since I just got rid of a 56 pound banshee scream, and ditched the doublewides in favor of mag 30's. So my bullit should come in at around 45 pounds. mtnbikej how much does your bullit weigh?

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Originally posted by bohica
thanks for the pic mtnbikej that's one pimp ride. I was looking at my 04, santa cruz catalog and it says the 04 bullits are rated for 8" travel forks. so the whole geometry issue really wouldn't be an issue. unless that is a misprint. I'm really not considering the 888 at this time just due to price. I can get the shiver cheaper and money is an issue at this point. Just want to make sure I get the best fork for how I ride. weight isn't an issue since I just got rid of a 56 pound banshee scream, and ditched the doublewides in favor of mag 30's. So my bullit should come in at around 45 pounds. mtnbikej how much does your bullit weigh?
As is, the weight is just under 44 lbs.

mtnbikej

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
Thanks for all the input, I'm leaning toward the shiver because I'm a big fan of inverted forks. I just like the feel of the fork. feels like my mx bike. mtnbikej, my bullit should definitely be in that weight range. I'm using a very similar build except I'll be running a DRS, profiles and mag 30's.