Quantcast

Shiver returns (2014)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
that picture is of the old model with new Evo internals.
i was wondering when they were going to make any type of announcement as i heard about them working on it over a year ago

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
that picture is of the old model with new Evo internals.
i was wondering when they were going to make any type of announcement as i heard about them working on it over a year ago
Yeah. I remember different marz people hinting they may be working on a shiver a few times last year.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would love to see a new SC bullit with a new shiver...

but seriously...good for them. I love to see people taking another crack at the USD fork. I think it has merits and, if made right, can be better than a standard fork. Very little negative press on the new Dorado, and even fox is trying it out. I owned a DHF fork two and a half years, and the only time I touched a stanchion was pulling it out of a tightly packed gondola....if they can correct twisting issues, I'm game. Plus, I'd love to see marzocchi return to relevance, if for nothing else to keep fox and RS on their toes and evolving...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think there's a lot you can do...not sure a tapered steerer would do it, but Foes has a 30mm axle, and manitou has their hex axle, bulges around the triple clamps, knurling of the fork tubes under the clamps, etc.

Maverick had some neat ideas, but they were a bit of a wacky company from the get go. Their DUC36 is a carbon monopiece lower with a bolt on upper crown. Evolving that design for DH use would be neat.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
There are a lot of things I love about the Shiver which was my first DH fork except for the weight. Unlike the pros as mentioned in the tread about the possible inverted Fox I would gladly sacrifice some cornering stiffness with better ability to handle hits in a straight line.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Great to see Marzocchi continuing to improve. I would love to see them return to their golden era. That new rear shock looks pretty cool but a new shiver....:drool::drool::drool:

That Maverick fork is deceptively light. It is pretty stiff too. Would be interesting to see how it works out in a long travel application. However, you loose the ability to adjust the stanchions with that set up.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
when i read this on pb it made me all fuzzy and warm inside. i WILL have a shiver when it comes out unless it's total crap. too bad i just missed a last train for a 05' pristine condition shiver.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
psyched on this as well. I'm guessing it will be a bit lighter this time around. I rode one once, on a bike I didn't know down the scariest rockiest trail I've ever been on and it was amazing. Coulda been the weird kenda 3.0 tire he was rockin as well...

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
There wasn't enough technology in the old one to keep up with the light weight boxxers and the like. With the advances made, and improved machining, it'll be stronger, and lighter with better internals. Everything has growing pains.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i wish Foes would have released their proto fork i saw 3 years ago that combined the internals of their current XTD fork in the 8" F1 chassis

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Does anyone else think that having a shock in plastic 3d form and CAD drawings is a bit late in the game for 2013?

Rock Shox 650b stuff up for sale on their OEM only website for 2013, Marzocchi is still at the basic proto stage for their shock, which has to be an order of magnitude tougher to produce than new leg castings.

Come on Marzocchi, get back ahead of the game, not chasing it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Does anyone else think that having a shock in plastic 3d form and CAD drawings is a bit late in the game for 2013?

Rock Shox 650b stuff up for sale on their OEM only website for 2013, Marzocchi is still at the basic proto stage for their shock, which has to be an order of magnitude tougher to produce than new leg castings.

Come on Marzocchi, get back ahead of the game, not chasing it.
rear shocks are mostly machined. machining ramp up is way quicker than casting ramp up.

edit: OEM stuff is required pretty far in advance. i remember the first year the roco came out is was aftermarket only.

also, how do we know they're only at basic proto stage? all that was shown was the basic protos:

We were only shown CAD images and a plastic 3D prototype of the new damper

Last edited:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'd like to see the Shiver come back as well.

I rocked a Mr. Dirt FAT fork from about 1999 - 2003 or 2004 and it was an awesome fork IMO. Plus I think that it is easier to make stantion guards for an USD fork than for a "standard" so the most vulnerable part is nice and protected.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
The 3d printing prototype was made 6 months ago. I know because Josh let me hold it the day he made it. They just had that made to check for fit tolerances on frames and such I believe. Of course just to toy with him I immediately pulled out my phone and took a picture. That was good for a laugh. There are some interesting knobs on that shock. I think it'll be sick.

I haven't asked him, but I'd imagine in 6 months they progressed beyond a 3d plastic prototype. So ya...I think your comment is invalid.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
My guess is it'll be re-leased with a new axle standard(discussions with Fox happening now I'd bet)that will be wider and thicker. 650b for DH, the new wve of marketing. Take your 29er sh!t n shove it. If you're going to force big wheels onto us, at least stop at 650b. I'll hold out on my more fun, better handling 26ers as long as I can.
Marzocchi are at the top of the game for DH in many regards IMO. Lowest service life, competitive damping.
Mavericks were not stiff whoever said above. and they had less than 6" travel trying to twist them up. Good ideas but.

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
I loved my 03 shiver. I go from 6 to 12 at the thought of a carbon shiver with alu/carbon stantions and an updated cartridge. Only problem is that I better start saving now if I ever want to be able to afford one. :drool:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Looks pretty cool. I had a Shiver for a few seasons and, aside from the weight, it was awesome. The damping just worked and though the adjustments (preload, rebound, spring, oil height/weight) were not as extensive as what's out now, it was very simple to dial it in and just worked when you got it good. If they made basically the same fork, but lighter, I'd use it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Looks pretty cool. I had a Shiver for a few seasons and, aside from the weight, it was awesome. The damping just worked and though the adjustments (preload, rebound, spring, oil height/weight) were not as extensive as what's out now, it was very simple to dial it in and just worked when you got it good. If they made basically the same fork, but lighter, I'd use it.
If it is way stiffer than my old shiver with decent(not crude/archaic ) damping then maybe ....basically like an 888...the shiver damping sucked.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If it is way stiffer than my old shiver with decent(not crude/archaic ) damping then maybe ....basically like an 888...the shiver damping sucked.
i agree. i waited so long for the Shiver when it first came out and thought it was junk when i got it. it was a big let down

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The original shiver had the same basic damping carts that marzocchi had been using since about 1996 or something, just longer of course. HSCV didn't mean anything really. It was a very crude shimmed setup, and while people might say "it worked", I'd say that it was simply extremely smooth/stiction free. IF the shiver actually had the shiver MX carts, like the 8" Monster T did, then maybe we'd get somewhere. Thing is that the world has caught up, fox, RS and marzocchi actually make decent dampers now, any performance gains from now on are going to be minimal for a while. Some sort of electronic magnetorheological damping (one that actually works that is) or other radical development. Custom valving will probably be far better than minimal-gain chassi upgrades.

For what it was, I didn't think it was a bad chassi at the time. With a stem it was only half a pound heavier than the dorado (which wasn't all that light, slightly over 8lbs). It wasn't an exceptionally good chassi either though. Flexy, lacking precision in steering and ability to hold a line sometimes. It was up against 32mm boxxers and for a while 30mm super Ts(holy flex!). Consider it had 35mm lowers, massive uppers and crowns clamping them, and so on. This is why it's going to take some radical engineering to get on par with right-side-up forks, and what bugs me is if you pour that much R&D into a right-side-up fork you'd end up with a better product, maybe carbon fiber lowers with carbon fiber crowns, lighter overall weight, better rigidity, etc. Lots of companies experimented with inverted forks, Hannebreakmyleg, Risky, Mr Dirt, Marzocchi, etc. It's kind of like trying to make a 911 into the worlds best handling car. It's not going to happen. You can make it a damn good car and engineer around the inherent limitations of the rear-engined design, but in the end, you'd be able to achieve higher performance with a mid engine. And I love 911s.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's surprizing to me that so many people are so nostalgic for such a crappy, heavy, flexy fork that was nothing but a spring and a clunky ported damper.

The new one might be neato though. The new dorados and old whitebrothers UD things showed inverted forks could be made pretty stiff........

Last edited:

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
The 3d printing prototype was made 6 months ago. I know because Josh let me hold it the day he made it. They just had that made to check for fit tolerances on frames and such I believe. Of course just to toy with him I immediately pulled out my phone and took a picture. That was good for a laugh. There are some interesting knobs on that shock. I think it'll be sick.

I haven't asked him, but I'd imagine in 6 months they progressed beyond a 3d plastic prototype. So ya...I think your comment is invalid.
This is cool to hear. I've been a huge fan of Marzocchi, and it is great to see them coming back to the top again.

FWIW I've got a 888 EVO ti and a Roco sitting in my basement for my Aurum build. Thank god i don't have to run Rockshox again this year.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The new one might be neato though. The new dorados and old whitebrothers UD things showed inverted forks could be made pretty stiff........
Those Groove 200s can be had on ebay for not a lot of money. They'd add a bit of weight though, which turns me off a bit after lugging that boat anchor avy fork around. Maybe the damping would be worth it? Maybe?