Quantcast

shiver springs

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ok, i am ordering a drop crown for my shiver but while i am it i wanted some stiffer springs, i believe i have the stock springs, but they are bottoming off of anything, even 3 footers, i weigh 140 and do free ride, what springs should i get or if any 1 could direct me to a spring chart.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Before you get new springs, do you have the correct spring preload and oil height? I weight 195 lbs and I ride the stock springs with 7.5 wt oil. I put in 8 turns of preload in each leg and I rarely bottom the fork when the oil height is correct. I recently lowered the oil height to get a more linear feel and I have started bottoming the fork once or twice each run down our local DH course. Which can be a little rocky. :)

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by mack
Ok, i am ordering a drop crown for my shiver but while i am it i wanted some stiffer springs, i believe i have the stock springs, but they are bottoming off of anything, even 3 footers, i weigh 140 and do free ride, what springs should i get or if any 1 could direct me to a spring chart.

If you have the stock springs, they are the medium weight springs. You need to try raising your oil level, I'm pushing 200 pounds and have the stock springs in mine, but I put 10w oil in the legs and raised it to max height and I love it, no bottoming problems now, and I hit some pretty decent sized stuff

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
this is strange, i am not sure what springs are in this fork, it was claimed to be stock springs, the oil level is correct, not sure what weight the oil is, i might replace oil with some moto x when i tap the legs for the fork guards. i think i will buy a level stiffer just in case, how much are they? 20 bucks.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by mack
this is strange, i am not sure what springs are in this fork, it was claimed to be stock springs, the oil level is correct, not sure what weight the oil is, i might replace oil with some moto x when i tap the legs for the fork guards. i think i will buy a level stiffer just in case, how much are they? 20 bucks.

I run Maxima 10w and it's about $10 a bottle. I think one bottle will do both legs, but go ahead and buy 2, just in case you spill some or something

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
One bottle will definately do. Marzocchi only recommends Silkolene or Golden Spectro (this is what they told me last time I called). I had been using Silkolene and really liked it, but when I couldn't find it one time I tried Belray in a pinch and mamma did it suck. I ordered some Silkolene Race as fast as I could. But make sure to get the correct type oil. Some are bad for the seals. It doesn't sound right, how are you measuring the oil height, I'm not impling that you are dumb or anything, but the only times I have ever bottomed my fork have been when the oil height was too low. Even with no preload, it doesn't bottom when the oil is correct. However, if your drilling holes for the fork guards then it sounds like you have a red 2001, so I would assume you bought it used and maybe the springs did get changed to the soft ones. Call Marz and ask them how to tell which ones you have.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Get Silkolene 10wt and MAKE sure it is set to the correct height man. I never got a chance to test the rate of those springs when it was in my uncles shop, but I know with me bouncing on it in the shop they were pretty stiff. It did go back to Marz to have the crown/steerer fixed before Andrew sold it to you so who knows what else, if anything was done to it, or if Andrew did anything, either way, those springs are fine, its got to be an oil height issue. Remember how I had you measure it? If you need help again let me know.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I had problems with my shiver bottoming when I first got it. I changed to 10w oil and added a little more than the recommend (+3-5mm). I haven't had a problem since. Also, I have always used Belray in all my zokes because I can buy it my local moto shop. I have never had a problem with it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by buildyourown
I had problems with my shiver bottoming when I first got it. I changed to 10w oil and added a little more than the recommend (+3-5mm). I haven't had a problem since. Also, I have always used Belray in all my zokes because I can buy it my local moto shop. I have never had a problem with it.
Compare it to Silkolene and you'll find a problem with it. ;)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
oil height has a much larger effect than oil weight IMO (oil weight should be used to control reaction time remember!!!). At 165lbs, i used 10wt and medium springs and found the fork sluggish. I found 5-10wt (Motul) and a high oil height to be a big improvement

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't know how to quantify the feel, but with the Silkolene I noticed a much better control to the damping. That is to say it seemed much smoother. Oil's pretty cheap, so give it a try the next time you change it. But I suggest the Race (RST) and not the Maintain.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by profro
I don't know how to quantify the feel, but with the Silkolene I noticed a much better control to the damping. That is to say it seemed much smoother.
yeah i've noticed a difference of quality in brands too, thats why i stick to the premium Motul stuff.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
When I first got my Shiver in 02 it was mushy but didn't bottom, in 03 I change the springs to heavy but it was too stiff, now in 04 I using a heavy spring in one leg and a soft one in the other and it's just right.