Quantcast

shiver vs slider

Aug 9, 2005
burnaby/bc
WEll i am new to this forum anyways.. I have 04 slider + with spv evolve internals I was wondering if 2002 mint cond shiver is worth 04 slider+ with spv evolve? wat is better fork? should i just keep the slider instead of trading for shiver dc? i do a lot of local trails up her ein canada like north shore and whistler during summer. or should i ask for a bit of money for the fork with it? any inputs thanks.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
From what I recall the shiver changed the internals in 03. the 03-05 shivers should be the same. 01and 02 were different. Someone correct me if i am wrong. The shiver is a much better feeling fork as compared to the slider, very plush and the shiver is close to 8" of travel, 190mm where as your slider is only 6" on the down side the shiver is around 9lbs so it is heavier than the slider.

Aug 9, 2005
burnaby/bc
wel also.. weight is not much of an issue fo rme.. hmm.. it would be much easier if i had a time to test the slider at whistler.. but i couldnt ride this summer so hmm.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
sorry i forgot the 04s were 7 i thought only the 05s were. The shiver is an awsome fork I had an 01 that I loved. It was so plush. I wish they were lighter I would go from my 888 back to a shiver in a minute. Some people complain that the inverted forks are flexie, I guess that all depends on what you weigh. I weigh 155 w/o gear and never had a problem

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
shiver pros: smooth marzocchi performance, low maintance.
cons: weight about 2lbs more, a little flexy, bobs when pedaling.

slider + pros: weight, won't bob while pedaling, more adjustments.
cons: small bump sensitivity, more maintance.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I own both an '02 Shiver and a Sherman, although mine is a BO+. Prettymuch same fork as what you have...

The Shiver is an awesome fork, the only drawback being that it doesn't pedal as well as the Sherman, owing to the SPV.
The '02 is arguably the best year of the Shiver. Internals on all of them are the same, only mechanical difference between '01 and '02 is that '02 came with the air bleeders in the topcaps.

I've beaten the poo out of mine, and the only problem I ever had with it was developing a bit of play between the topcaps and the knobs. Made an annoying noise whenever the fork topped out, but it was an easy 5 minute fix at home. I only stopped riding it because my shop hooked me up with a new fork for this race season, it's still kicking strong, and will be put on my girl's bike when she's competent enough for a DH bike. Shiver is easy to tune, as well. You're in Burnaby? Take it to the new Marz shop on the shore, and have them do her up for you.

Going up, the Sherman will pedal better, gong down you will be all smilies with the bottomless plush of the Shiver.
I say go with the Shiver, down is more important to me.

And even see if you can get some cash outta your buddy, as your fork is newer. Don't worry if you can't though, as you are coming out ahead.
At least, as long as the fork is mint, and not needing seals/new oil, but that's an easy fix anyway. Just make sure there are no scratches on the stantions, and you are golden.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
quickneonrt said:
From what I recall the shiver changed the internals in 03. the 03-05 shivers should be the same. 01and 02 were different. Someone correct me if i am wrong. The shiver is a much better feeling fork as compared to the slider, very plush and the shiver is close to 8" of travel, 190mm where as your slider is only 6" on the down side the shiver is around 9lbs so it is heavier than the slider.
I am fairly sure they changed the internals in 2002, rather than 2003. No 100% positive though.

Anyway, I would take the Shiver, hands down. The Slider is a nice fork, however nothing gets as plush as a Shiver. I rode a 888 at Whistler all summer, and my buddy rode a 2002 Shiver, and down the really fast small bumpy stuff, my buddy would cruise by me.
On the next run down, I grabbed his bike, and rode it down, and I couldnt believe how good it felt. It was like the tire was stuck to the ground. You just have to ride one. Its that good.

Now, would I rather have a 888? Yes. That fork is bombproof. I didnt like the flex that the Shiver had. It was not really noticeable when I was riding, however when you stand with the front wheel between your legs, and face the back of the bike, and twist the fork, it does flex big time!

Still, a killer fork though.

Sep 9, 2005
london, on, canada
hey guys, i'm the guy that has the 02 shivers, and wants to trad them for some sliders. here is why i want to trade em out...

there aren't any mechanical, or serious problems with the shivers, but i want to down the weight on my bike, as the shivers are, dare i say... TOO big for me, as i'm only creeping up on 130lbs. i'd love to keep em, but i live in south-west ontario, where hills are almost a rareity, therefore i'd enjoy some easier pedalling, with the spv evolve and whatnot. i want to stay dc, only for the reason that i'm gonna start racing O-Cup new season, and the bike i will be using is also my "farting-around-bike", so i should be able to freeride on it too, which means it needs to be more 'all-terrain' for me, in other words, lighter and more effictient.

the dude that is getting it likes to DH alot, and huck, so i dont think that this fork will be put to waste on his bike, or his on mine. hopefully everyone understands where i stand, and why i'm trying to do this trade.

and...

my 002 shivers have the smoothest travel i have ever ridden, have no flex (at least with my weight), no stanchion problems, only cosmetics on the uppers, no srown-play problems, no wierd noises, all the seals and whatnot are still soft rubber (no cracks or anything), and.... oh yeah, has integraded crown, 20mm axle, original deflectors, and might i add, very helpful pressure-release ports on the tops of the uppers...

now that you know my shiver's life story... on with the trade.

jake

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
The price seliger, and gnurider1080, ill bet you a brand new 888rc2x, that zmtber, can go bigger then you and have a faster race time. So stfu. Thanks

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
Hmmm I don't know what this "stfu" thing is, but I'd love to win a new triple 8. If have 'go bigger' and/or have a faster race time, am I eligible to win the 'brand new 888rc2x?'

Regarding the original question, I would trade a slider for a shiver. The slider looks neat, and is very light, but I've found the shiver to be a superior fork for the riding I do. I spent a few days on a slider, and although it did pedal better than any other big fork I've ridden, it really disappointed in other ways. As I rode, I could see my front axle moving forwards and backwards as the fork flexed. I know I should have had my eyes on the trail, but I was interested to see what the fork was up to. This may have to do with the long, thin stantions, and the small overlap in the lower castings. Regardless, it did not make me comfortable. Also, I've never experienced worse hand fatigue than what I felt with the Slider. I had to stop in the middle of runs to shake out my hands, and after a few days, I feared I was developing arthritis. That said, it's a fun and light fork. An analogy might be:

Manitou Slider : Marzocchi Shiver :: BMW M3 CSL : Porsche Turbo Cayenne

The dual crown shiver is very plush, and I never noticed the torsional flexibility that I read about online. It's a great looking fork, and I've never heard bad things about it from people I've ridden with. I can't say it will improve the pedaling efficiency of your rig though. The analogy I made above can be said another way. The slider is like a tough sporty girl, in that it's light, fast, and fun. Conversely, the Shiver DC is heftier, but it treats you right.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
degoose said:
The price seliger, and gnurider1080, ill bet you a brand new 888rc2x, that zmtber, can go bigger then you and have a faster race time. So stfu. Thanks

Wait... what does it matter about skill level at all. I'm not doubting anyones skill, and did I ever say I did doubt it? I don't know the kid. I'm asking him to explain his statment because it was very brief and not explainitory enough to hold justice.

F.Y.I. You probley have never seen me, or Gnurider1080 ride.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
quickneonrt said:
01-05 Shiver = Same internals. A few models have an air bleed screw which basically has no advantage over the other Shiver models and it is pretty much pointless.
Now I could get into the argument of SSVF and HSCV cartidges and how in 2001 and early 2002 the HSCV cartridges were called SSVF (or maybe it was SSV.. it is getting late ;) ) but that is a whole other pointless argument.

Shiver is a great fork. If I were you I would go with the Shiver any day of the week. I have one and I used to have a Junior T and the Shiver is much better. My friend has the same fork as you and no offense but I think it feels like crap on DH runs compared to theShiver.
The Shiver is buttery smooth and it is very easy to work on.

Marzocchi customer service is also great (even if you have to call them up to remind them to send your back ordered parts ;) Thanks Brian!

The Shiver looks cooler :cool:

Flex... I have not ever noticed it while riding.

The Shiver does not pedal as weel but if you are going to do alot of DH runs I say get the Shiver.

I say go with the trade.

I hope this helped you out.

Good luck man.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
02 Shiver is the best Shiver made. Plus the Shver looks cool.

The air bleed screw was NOT pointless. Forks build up air pressure the more you ride them. With the bleed screw, you just let the air out. I let the air out of my 888 every once in awhile. Air does build up and I can feel a difference after I let the air out. The fork isn't as progressive and it sags a little more after I let the air out. The air pressure acts as an air assist. The pressure is very small, but it is there.

I have run air assist in my 03 Super T and I could feel the difference in 3-5 psi. Forks can build up as much as 5 psi, so you can feel the difference. How many people have heard the air release when you take off the top caps of your forks? Im sure a lot have heard it.

I have ridin the Slider and it is a good trail fork, but the Shiver is an excellent DH/FR fork. I hate the SPV feeling, but some don't mind it. The Shiver feels a lot like an 888, but has a little more flex. All in all, the Shiver is a great fork and gets a 9 out of 10, while the slider gets a 7.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I have a Manitou with SPV, and I have 2 shivers (both SC and DC). The shivers travel and the feel are hands down a better choice in my mind. They got their stuff right when they went dual HSCV valves in each leg. It makes the feel so smooth. Plus they are reliable. That is more valuable to me than some of the other "features" on other forks.

The SPV thing seems nice on a trail fork, 5-6" maybe, but anything of the DH type I'd prefer the smooth travel over stable platform. Sliders and Sherman's aren't bad forks at all, just not my style.

The new Travis might be better than say a Slider. I might think about that route but Marzocchi's are just so stupid simple to work on and such. There's 2 compression cartridges, springs, oil, you can set preload and rebound speeds, and progression by oil heights. That's about as good as it gets.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
If you strictly DH go with the shiver, if you do more trail/freeride then go with the slider +. I have a 04, and it is very stiff, progressive, and it pedals well. They do lack slow speed small bump performance, but that just gives you a good excuse to bike faster.

jungle

Monkey
Jan 11, 2006
Definitely go the shiver
02 - 05 have the same internals HSCV
01 had SSV cartridges

Any of the 02-05 models are awesome

Steer away from SPV sliders at all costs
unless you get them changed over to TPC+

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
My only problem with my Shiver is that on real technical runs, they are a little difficult to get used to. Once you do, they are great! But it took a little bit. They seemed "clumsy" for lack of a better word at first. Now (after six months or so) it isn't even an issue. I love my Shivers! One of the best upgrades ever to my bike.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
jungle said:
Definitely go the shiver
02 - 05 have the same internals HSCV
01 had SSV cartridges

Any of the 02-05 models are awesome

Steer away from SPV sliders at all costs
unless you get them changed over to TPC+
No, the 2001 had HSCV internals. They called it SSV but that was just the name for it back then. Take out the internals and look, they are identical 01-05.