Quantcast

Shock Bottom out bumper

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It disintegrated. My guess is old age, and I thought the shock would be toast, but a ride suggested that wasn't the case. In fact, the wheezy noise that I heard initially went away by the time I got home. I'm sure it could use a refresh and a bleed, but i don't have a vise, shaft clamps, nor RSF lying around, so by the time I acquire everything, I could have just bought a shock that is lighter and works better for another hundo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
@Sandwich what's the matter with the original bottom out bumper anyway?

Thread summary:

Bump stop on ancient shock is rotted
Doesn't want to spend the time and money to fix it properly
Doesn't like any half-assed solutions
Angry that everyone is withholding their secret magic bumpstop replacement tricks

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thread summary:

Doesn't like any half-assed solutions
I just don't want to spend $50 and wait six weeks for shipping from yurp for a half-assed solution. I'd be happy with a "buy this and cut it to size, wrap a zip tie around the center" or "buy a new BO bumper and slap some ANAL LUBE on there then slide it over the eyelet"

I did find this however, which I think will work.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I just don't want to spend $50 and wait six weeks for shipping from yurp for a half-assed solution. I'd be happy with a "buy this and cut it to size, wrap a zip tie around the center" or "buy a new BO bumper and slap some ANAL LUBE on there then slide it over the eyelet"

do those even compress?

this experiment is going to DELIVER, no doubt.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

The correct bump stop, a little exacto knife work and an appropriately sized c-clip would be. Similar and the correct hardware.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah well half my terrible ideas were trying to get the evil to work out of the box as it should have...

i'm trying to think what my wackiest ones were. backwards seatpost, short shocking my current frame...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah well half my terrible ideas were trying to get the evil to work out of the box as it should have...

i'm trying to think what my wackiest ones were. backwards seatpost, short shocking my current frame...
the rotor cranks? or was that just industry driven standards nonsense

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wut in tarnation? Because of it's $1500 drivetrain? Or gravel bars? That things dope, it's the least hairbrained of all my bikes, aside from still running 26" wheels on my DH bike.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
foar a whopping 6$, you can clamp 1/2" shafts to your hearts desire,
clamp it with the bolts, clamp it Moar in the vice.
for Moar gripz you could grind some Flatz on the outside of the clamp to hold it in the vice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
foar a whopping 6$, you can clamp 1/2" shafts to your hearts desire,
clamp it with the bolts, clamp it Moar in the vice.
for Moar gripz you could grind some Flatz on the outside of the clamp to hold it in the vice.
if you're going to dunk on me, at least dunk right:
but where can I even get a legitimate bottom out bumper from?

also @CrabJoe StretchPants don't even kid, you're enabling this behavior!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I think it would be more thread appropriate to drill a .5" hole into a nice piece of hardwood, and cut it in half with a thin kerfed saw.

Or even better, use a 7/16" drill bit, wallow it out a bit, use a thick table saw blade and build thickness back up with some electrical tape.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Strokez MacGuyver.....I would highly recommend getting yourself a small bench vise (6"?) with soft jaw inserts. The amount you will use it for all sorts of things is staggering.

I may even have an extra one stashed under my garage workbench....

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Sure enough.....if you want it, we can meet up when you're done with that shock so I can grab that and give you this. It's collecting dust otherwise. Cheapo and only 4", but perfect for small things like shock rebuilds.
IMG_20201028_171921359_copy_750x1000.jpg

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

No don't use that.
You want an aluminum one.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne

I know of one puck head who sells them however I hate him so much ill not promote him by speaking his name.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sure enough.....if you want it, we can meet up when you're done with that shock so I can grab that and give you this. It's collecting dust otherwise. Cheapo and only 4", but perfect for small things like shock rebuilds.
View attachment 151493
I'll take you up on that. I need to return the shock anyways (quick experiment) and was thinking of driving up there just to get out of the house. I'd gladly take that vise off your hands if you're OK with it

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'll take you up on that. I need to return the shock anyways (quick experiment) and was thinking of driving up there just to get out of the house. I'd gladly take that vise off your hands if you're OK with it
Absolutely, I'll even dust it off for you and oil it. Let me know when works for you.