Quantcast

Shock Choice

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Hey guys, trying to decide between a CCDB and an avalanche DHS/woodie. Im riding on a fox rc4 right now. I can't really get it to feel right. I've played around alot with the ajustmants and only left to do is to valve it, but like the previous fox's I've had, I still feel it lacks HSC.

I used to have a DHS on previous bikes which felt amazing no matter what, it was a set and forget shock. The only thing that wasnt nice about it was the weight, but that was about it. Once I set it up for myself, there was no more playing around with it and it required almost no maintance what so ever.

I've read really good things about the CCDB, and its really making me wanna try it. I've bounced on a couple, but never took them out for a ride.

Im on a legend right now, and plan to do so for the rest of this season and the next. I ride mostly downhill and take my bike out for some occasional dirt jumps (now that I have a p3, I take that one). The riding we see here is a bit of everything. We almost never see ruts, mostly rocks, high speed sections, flat corners, high speed jumps, lots of g-outs and always dry and dusty conditions. Las but not leat, Im going to have to get a used shock since I don't have the money for a new one. Any thoughts recomendations?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The RC4 is probably the best shock for bikes like the legend and sunday, which have progressive to linear curves. You might want to be more specific about the problems you're having.

What do you mean it lacks HSC?
What does the bike currently do that you don't like?
What are your current settings on the RC4?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I 2nd Udis question. My rc4 has more than enough hsc on my legend and I tend to like a bit more damping than the avg. joe.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Nope.
The Double Barrel doesn't work well on the Legend, because the leverage curve of the Legend is too linear. You won't have the bottom out control you want, if you run a Double Barrel on these kind of bikes unless you run a lot of hsc damping. With a shock like the Rc4 you can control the ramping in the end of the travel. Therefore the Rc4 suits much more the Legend like the Double Barrel.
Did you mean Low Speed Compression? is your problem the lack of mid stroke support or regular bottom outs?

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I just got my legend and when talking to Keith about it he said the new Elka was the best shock he has tested on it with the RC4 being a close second. If you got the money then go for the ELKA. if not then maybe just some more time tuning the RC4 would pay off.

On a side note, I will be testing a DSP dueler on the legend this season. The price is amazingly good and they come with a Ti coil. I have heard good reviews on them as well. I will post a review on it once I get it and get a little riding time on it. They also have bottom out control to help with the legends linear curve.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Im having trouble with mid stroke, the shock spiking way too much when breaking hard, and spiking at medium speeds, which is kinda weird. Maybe an oil change? Im on a 350 lbs spring, and roughly 150 psi. I've set out to retune the shock this weekend and try different adjustments, se how it does.

So from what I hear the DB isnt the best option... anyone have any comments on the Avi? I rememeber mine ramped up nicely!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You only listed half the settings... what about LSC/HSC/LSR? Rider weight?

You say it "lacks" HSC but you're complaining about spiking, so it sounds like excess damping rather than a lack thereof. When you say spiking at medium speeds, what do you mean?

An Avy is not going to be much more progressive than a BOS/CCDB/Vivid etc - if you really want to go out and buy a new shock then by all means do that - but if you want the shock that best suits your frame then I'd probably try to get the existing shock tuned right.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Rider weight: 78 kgs with gear on,+- 2 kgs

When talking about medium speed its not about shaft speed, but more like riding speed, no flat out, but def not exit tight corner speed.

I had 5 clicks on my LSC (from cero out)
had about 3/5 on my HSC (from cero out) on the 300 lbs spring, opened it up a bit when I switched out to the 350
Rebound can't really remember, but I adjust it according to track usually. As a base setting I run it kind of neutral, not fast or slow.

That help more?
Bottom out is half way in moreless.

For some reason I lost the file where I had everything written down for my 300 lbs spring, then it got lost in my PC.

Gonna keep playing with it this weekend, or at least as soon as my finger heals up.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Sounds like a reasonable setup, curious to hear how many clicks on rebound as well if you want to count it next time. Fast or slow could mean different things to you/me.

Bit tricky because you seem to be between spring rates, website says 300 for 70-80kg. Any reason you went to the harder spring? Too much sag?

I'd try the following (if you want to keep running the 350 spring):
- Bottom out fully closed
- 125psi (set after closing bottom out)
- 5 clicks HSC
- 2 clicks LSC

You can always add compression or pressure if you need more support in your g-outs, but I'd try and fix the spiking first. If you're still not happy with the bump absorption, I'd consider going back to a 300 and running 150+ psi again.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
350 seems waay too hard. a 250 gives me around 35% sag at 70kg. 300 was <30% And thats without gear. 350 is for someone closer to 90kg with an rc4. I also run waaaay less hsc than you.

Also what kind of g outs? I thought most g outs are LSC stuff, not HSC.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
I agree with Norbar. I'm 80 kg and 350 was too hard for me. I think this is the "spiking" you're feeling. Drop back to the 300 lbs spring, wind your bottom out all the way in, run 175 psi or so, back out your HSC and run the LSC to your liking.

PS - I'm on a Legend too, and have tried RC4 and CCDB. CCDB is not as bad as everyone says. Makes for a pretty good race sled, but as mentioned, doesn't give you the bottom out control. I'd only recommend it if you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket. Try tuning the RC4 first.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
On the 300 spring the bike eat up a lot more impacts, but at the same time it would bottom out a lot, even with 175 psi and bottom out 3/4 closed. The thing about the 300 is it would sit way into the sag (35 + % sag), and would be kinda woobly to ride, so much so that I would loose weight over the front wheel, causing me to wash out on flat turns and at high speeds. I went with the 350 for that reason mainly. It proves to have a lot more support, I can plow and move the bike around, but it spikes awkardly. Also, by sitting higher up in travel, my body is more centered and I can put more weight on the front wheel giving me the tracktion I need and like.

Don't know if this helps, Im running a Boxxer RC with a medium spring and 4 clicks of compresion. Rebound is set at the same point as the rear and they seem to be in real nice frequency with the rear, ie, you get on top and the compress at the same speed. The horrible thing about the RC is it lacks mid strock and HSC control... oh well, nothing I can do there.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Well if you've given the 300 lbs spring a shot, then maybe it is time to upgrade to something with more compression damping control. Just note that as you dial up the compression damping in a CCDB, it will deaden the ride and make the bike more stable but less lively. I didn't really like that aspect of the CCDB, but it is basically infinitely adjustable apart from the fact there is no bottom out control.

Perhaps when Socket tunes in he can give you a bit more advice about the Fox. Some custom tuning might be the best of all worlds.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
The frame came with the 300 on it and I decided after 7 + rides I needed something a bit more firm. A 325 would be good I guess. Gonna play with it a bit more this weekend, see what I can get out of it.

I'm going to talk to one of best friends who's a pretty good mechanic and nows how to valve shocks. See if I can get some shims from racetech and sort it out, any pointers on that?

I like a lively feel on my bike, but for certain situations and conditions I rather it feel more stable, I can always power the bike around.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I don't know if it's worth mentioning it and if it works sizewise, but could a Vivid air resolve your problem? The progressive nature of the air spring should work well with the Legend and you can tune the spring weight exactly to your liking.
Also you can save a few grams.

But a Rc4 with a 325 coil and moar shims sounds also good...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I too would consider trying the 300 spring again. 35% sag isn't bad, and if you crank the bottom out all the way in and run higher psi, you will probably find a happy medium. If you can get your hands on a 325 then by all means do that, there's also the possibility that your 300 spring might be softer than claimed, so you could always try/borrow another.

It sounds to me like you should consider looking at the fork too, obviously the biggest problem you have with setting up the shock is that the front becomes too high/hard and starts washing out. You could try lowering the fork/bars/stem a little, maybe a slightly softer spring in the fork and heavier damping... lots of possibilities.

If you really want to revalve the shock, I think your best bet would be to run a softer spring, and run a slightly heavier compression stack. If you insist on running the 350 spring then I'd definitely try the softer settings I suggested above, in fact it's probably the easiest thing for you to try.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
yeah, there no getting around the fork. for being an RC, its working really nice, except for lack of HSC and mid stroke control, what more can you expect? I dont have 300 or so dollars to lay down on a cart or a Mission Control Compresion and rebound cart. When I was on the 300, I had my bars as low as posible on the front end. Now that I ride with the 350 I can ride it a bit higher, which actually suits my style (10 mm under the crown with a direct mount sunline stem and a mid rise answer protaper bar), lets me move the bike around a bit easier. Im 6'0 and riding a Large, I like feeling low front ends, but Im trying it a bit higher now, see what that does for my riding and back. Plus its easier to pop the front wheel around, you put a bit less effort into it. I like the idea of going with a lighter damp tune instead of a heavier one after hearing how RC4's explode... mmm.

Going to a local track this weekend which Im pretty familiar with. Gonna bring the 300 spring out, and my shock pump. Thing is, the track isnt thaaat fast, but has a couple of good jumps, rocks, flat and bermed turns, bit of everything.

Finding a 325 is next to imposible, but I might get a chance to snatch one from K-9. Anyone know anything about those springs, quality and longevity?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
yeah, there no getting around the fork. for being an RC, its working really nice, except for lack of HSC and mid stroke control, what more can you expect? I dont have 300 or so dollars to lay down on a cart or a Mission Control Compresion and rebound cart. When I was on the 300, I had my bars as low as posible on the front end. Now that I ride with the 350 I can ride it a bit higher, which actually suits my style (10 mm under the crown with a direct mount sunline stem and a mid rise answer protaper bar), lets me move the bike around a bit easier. Im 6'0 and riding a Large, I like feeling low front ends, but Im trying it a bit higher now, see what that does for my riding and back. Plus its easier to pop the front wheel around, you put a bit less effort into it. I like the idea of going with a lighter damp tune instead of a heavier one after hearing how RC4's explode... mmm.

Going to a local track this weekend which Im pretty familiar with. Gonna bring the 300 spring out, and my shock pump. Thing is, the track isnt thaaat fast, but has a couple of good jumps, rocks, flat and bermed turns, bit of everything.

Finding a 325 is next to imposible, but I might get a chance to snatch one from K-9. Anyone know anything about those springs, quality and longevity?
TFTuned should have 325s.
I'm still suprised you bottomed out with 35% sag. I do it from time to time but never harshly(even on flat landings). Also steel springs have a large margin of error it could really be a 285 or 280lbs.
I also find your bar height combo strange. With a 35% sag I managed to get waaay to low with a true 0 rise stem, 0 stack headset and a flat 0 upsweep bar. With a 1cm spacer its very good. What stem were you using?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Interesting, i'm about 75/76kgs in my birthday suit, so maybe a couple more kitted up, been running a 350 spring on mine, maybe i'm oversprung!

I have a spare 300 which I might chuck on there. Any suggestion on the settings?

I guess bottom out fully in, ~150 in the boost chamber but i'm unsure about HSC & LSC, would I increase this if i'm decreasing the spring rate?

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Yo would want to increase the HSC and LSC over your setting with the 350. I'd say pump at least 170 psi into the chamber.

Norbar, here's the set up

I recently (havent tried it yet) stretched the boxxer out a bit (+ 0.5cm - 1cm) to get the bike slightly slacker (0.5 º maybe?) just to try it out. I had a 10 mm plus a 4 mm spacer underneath the top crown. On the crown Im running a Sunline integrated 50 mm step with some 780 protaper 20 mm rise bars. When I pulled the fork down, I took the 4mm spacer from underneath the crown to level it out with the previous height, make sense?

When I had the 300 spring on, I ran it almost flat (2mm spacer between the top crown and flat headset), which made for some really nice cornering and helped out with the wheel washing out. Since I have more support with the 350, I decided I wanted to try a bit more height on my front on, cause of my long back and arms (6'0). Its turns it out it rides nicer. I can't dive into to some really tight 180º corners like before, but it def gives me a lot more space to play around with in fast and rough sections, and flat turns. It also helps with the my back, and the front is easier to lift up over stuff. Maybe I should get into shape? hahaha. I think the whole super low bar height is not for everyone. It is really advantages in a lot of situations, but for some taller riders, it makes it harder to pick up the front end, since your upper body is so far down, make sense?

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
My $0.02

I used to have a Sunday with an RC4 and was having the same issues as you. Granted I like to run my suspension on the stiffer side of normal.

I weigh roughly 180lbs (~80kg), and every chart I read told me I needed the 300 spring. The 300 felt great over small bumps, and in corners. But as soon as I started hitting sharp edged rocks and large bumps it bottomed like crazy. I tried the 350, felt great on heavier impacts and compression hits, but lost all sensitivity over small bumps and wouldn't feel great in cornering.

I had a local guy (CR1 Engineering) valve the shock a few times. With the 300lb spring we tried increasing the stiffness of the high speed circuit and it never felt right. No matter what we did, it lacked the support on large bumps that I wanted.

I ended up getting the best results with the 350 spring, a lower weight oil, and opening up the low speed circuit. It gave the bike a lot more sensitivity over small bump terrain, but I was still able to slam the bike into big impacts and not have any bottoming issues.

Your results may vary, but that was what I ended up doing and it felt great.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Are you 180lbs (81.6kg) without gear? Because if that's the case you were probably very much between spring rates once loaded up which would explain your dramas. I would have personally gone to the trouble of finding a 325 spring instead of trying to valve around it.

I'm ~75kg, maybe 78-79 with gear, and am happy on a 300 on the same frame/shock with reasonably soft settings. If the number was 82+ I'd be jumping on a 325.

K9, BOS, and Obtainium (used to) all make that rate to my knowledge. I think it could save some of you a lot of hassle.

Keep in mind that flatter tracks tend to need a firmer rear vs. front bias, while on steeper tracks you can get away with a softer rear, so my preferences and requirements might be different to yours.

croucrou

Chimp
May 4, 2011
hello udi which shock do you prefer on the sunday the bos or the rc4?
i have time on the bos and it feel great on the sunday, i tried a rc4 on it but just for a run so it is a bit short to have my own opinion

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Interesting, i'm about 75/76kgs in my birthday suit, so maybe a couple more kitted up, been running a 350 spring on mine, maybe i'm oversprung!

I have a spare 300 which I might chuck on there. Any suggestion on the settings?

I guess bottom out fully in, ~150 in the boost chamber but i'm unsure about HSC & LSC, would I increase this if i'm decreasing the spring rate?
Waaaaaay oversprung. My legend came with a 350 I was 68-70, now I'm 70-72kg all without gear and ride a 250. My 300 felt a bit hard.

Karpi - it may be because your frame is a large (mine is a medium and im 179cm) but it seems like in any of the settings you were much higher than me. Maybe it really is the cockpit that messes your weight balance.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Hey guys, trying to decide between a CCDB and an avalanche DHS/woodie. Im riding on a fox rc4 right now. I can't really get it to feel right. I've played around alot with the ajustmants and only left to do is to valve it, but like the previous fox's I've had, I still feel it lacks HSC.

I used to have a DHS on previous bikes which felt amazing no matter what, it was a set and forget shock. The only thing that wasnt nice about it was the weight, but that was about it. Once I set it up for myself, there was no more playing around with it and it required almost no maintance what so ever.

I've read really good things about the CCDB, and its really making me wanna try it. I've bounced on a couple, but never took them out for a ride.

Im on a legend right now, and plan to do so for the rest of this season and the next. I ride mostly downhill and take my bike out for some occasional dirt jumps (now that I have a p3, I take that one). The riding we see here is a bit of everything. We almost never see ruts, mostly rocks, high speed sections, flat corners, high speed jumps, lots of g-outs and always dry and dusty conditions. Las but not leat, Im going to have to get a used shock since I don't have the money for a new one. Any thoughts recomendations?
The newer Avalanche stuff with the high/low compression circut/adjuster is real nice. I'm assuming your DHS didn't have that? (most only had a low-speed compression adjuster). The avalanche woodie/chubbie is going to be more tunable than most anything else, as the combination of bladder vs IFP, IFP height/pressure, oil weight, bottom out bumper shape/durometer/cup, and etc gives the most parameters to dial in a bike. Of course craig sets many of those things up, but you are left with a shock that has excellent low-speed support and blows off magically for the high speed stuff. I have a DHS and a chubbie right now, and the DHS is a bit over-damped for my weight now (I've lost 45lbs :( ), even before that the chubbie offered better tuning options, a better "compramise" being able to dial in the low and high speed compression. The only thing that sucks about the chubbie is finding a fork that matches it. Right now at high speed in super-chunk my DHS is pretty good (overdamped like I said above), but my chubbie is great at low and high speeds. The real question is can you just get your current shock modded and get 80% of the benefit? Due to the tuning options and how they are optimized for the bike/rider, Id' get the avalanche over the CCDB every day, but if you can take an older shock and get it re-shimed, with proper high/low speed circuts and possibly some other tuning, then either the CCDB or a new Avy could be a hard sell (although they still have more complex/tunable circuts than the modded 5ths and DHXs).

Lastly, the RC4 "appears" to have a VERY similar high/low circut to the Avy Woddie/Chubbie/DHS. You can't run the chubbie with "almost zero" low speed compression and expect it to work well at high speed, it runs like crap when you do this, kind of "bucking" at high speed a lot more than it should. Running a decent amount of low-speed compression seems to help immensely with this, "forcing" the oil to use the high-speed circut. I have a hard time believing you can't tune the RC4 to work differently. At worst I'd imagine it needs a re-shim, at best just the right tuning. Still, if it can't work anything like your old DHS...

Last edited:

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
Are you 180lbs (81.6kg) without gear? Because if that's the case you were probably very much between spring rates once loaded up which would explain your dramas. I would have personally gone to the trouble of finding a 325 spring instead of trying to valve around it.

I'm ~75kg, maybe 78-79 with gear, and am happy on a 300 on the same frame/shock with reasonably soft settings. If the number was 82+ I'd be jumping on a 325.

K9, BOS, and Obtainium (used to) all make that rate to my knowledge. I think it could save some of you a lot of hassle.

Keep in mind that flatter tracks tend to need a firmer rear vs. front bias, while on steeper tracks you can get away with a softer rear, so my preferences and requirements might be different to yours.

I sold the bike a while ago, so this is all a moot point now. I'm riding an M9 these days.

But I around 175-180 without gear. so probably upwards of 185 with gear.

I thought about the 325 route, but with the wide variances in steel springs, I was more inclined to go with the 350 that I had because I knew how it felt. I ended up loving the setup I had. I rode the piss out of that bike for a season before I finally decided that a Medium Sunday was a little too small for my 6'2" body. The bike is still being ridden by a guy that races on the east coast.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I ran a 400lbs on my sunday, I could bash the hell out of it with out worrying about bottom or the lack of HSC that the Dhx has. I had my friend give it a lighter valve also and it really helped, felt spot on.

Im come to a couple conclusions about setup with the shock and with riding positions. Im going to close the LSC compresion as to have the HSC work more? Give half way closed for LSC and half for HSC, and go from there. Keep 150 in the air chamber, and half bottom out closed. Might go up one or two clicks on HSC, and go up or down one or two on LSC.

Planning on trying a 45 mm stem and a 40 mm stem this weekend and lower the front end, see how that works out. Going shorter could mean I shift my weight back a bit, putting more pressure on the rear shock...

When riding with flats, people tend to use their rear suspension more than using clips, which tends to be more centered. Acording to this, should I be running more or less HSC? More should mean more control on speed bumps, but to much, could also mean spicking? Sugestions?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I ran a 400lbs on my sunday, I could bash the hell out of it with out worrying about bottom or the lack of HSC that the Dhx has. I had my friend give it a lighter valve also and it really helped, felt spot on.

Im come to a couple conclusions about setup with the shock and with riding positions. Im going to close the LSC compresion as to have the HSC work more? Give half way closed for LSC and half for HSC, and go from there. Keep 150 in the air chamber, and half bottom out closed. Might go up one or two clicks on HSC, and go up or down one or two on LSC.

Planning on trying a 45 mm stem and a 40 mm stem this weekend and lower the front end, see how that works out. Going shorter could mean I shift my weight back a bit, putting more pressure on the rear shock...

When riding with flats, people tend to use their rear suspension more than using clips, which tends to be more centered. Acording to this, should I be running more or less HSC? More should mean more control on speed bumps, but to much, could also mean spicking? Sugestions?
When you say it feels like it's lacking in HSC, what situations in particular are you talking about? Big hits, or square edged bumps or what? I suspect you probably need more bottom out control, because the end stroke of the Legend's leverage ratio is actually very slightly falling rate. Try closing the bottom out volume fully and increasing the pressure if need be (running 200psi and fully closed bottom out isn't as extreme as the settings may sound), before you go messing around with the LSC/HSC so much. You can use the entire range of the LSC, HSC and boost valve adjustments on the RC4, there is literally no setup you could come to on the compression side of things (without custom valving) that is so extreme that it's unrideable.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
If you were complaining about spiking, then the last thing you want to do is increase the damping. If you intend on keeping the 350 spring, I'd suggest trying the settings I recommended in post 10.

By all means use more LSC and HSC than I suggested - but if the shock is spiking, I think it's smart to eliminate that FIRST, and THEN increase compression support slowly to your taste (via pressure, LSC, HSC, whatever).

Try closing the bottom out volume fully and increasing the pressure if need be (running 200psi and fully closed bottom out isn't as extreme as the settings may sound)
If he's on a spring that's erring on too hard, then I don't think there's a need to increase pressure anywhere near that much - in fact I think it should be decreased if anything. I can't see any need for more HSC from anything karpi has said (about the actual ride), so I'd say that's probably just a misinterpretation on our/his part. See below.

I went with the 350 for that reason mainly. It proves to have a lot more support, I can plow and move the bike around, but it spikes awkardly.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
If you were complaining about spiking, then the last thing you want to do is increase the damping. If you intend on keeping the 350 spring, I'd suggest trying the settings I recommended in post 10.

By all means use more LSC and HSC than I suggested - but if the shock is spiking, I think it's smart to eliminate that FIRST, and THEN increase compression support slowly to your taste (via pressure, LSC, HSC, whatever).

If he's on a spring that's erring on too hard, then I don't think there's a need to increase pressure anywhere near that much - in fact I think it should be decreased if anything. I can't see any need for more HSC from anything karpi has said (about the actual ride), so I'd say that's probably just a misinterpretation on our/his part. See below.
He said he's running 150psi and still copping fairly frequent bottoming (on the 300 at least - which btw is the right spring IMO), at the very least close the chamber volume right down and bump the pressure up to 170 at a minimum, then you should be able to open up the compression circuits a bit more to make it more compliant, and adjust LSC from there. Like I said though, the entire range of pressures/chamber volumes IS usable. 150psi to 200psi is NOT the same as changing a spring from say 300lbs/in to 400lbs/in, for example.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Are you running to much rebound for the heavy spring, making for a harsh ride as the spring is being kept in it's travel(stiffer part of spring)? Sorry if this was covered, didn't see it. Not saying it's the soloution, just something to consider.
I also think the low bar fad isn't the best set up(yes, eats hat).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
He said he's running 150psi and still copping fairly frequent bottoming (on the 300 at least - which btw is the right spring IMO), at the very least close the chamber volume right down and bump the pressure up to 170 at a minimum, then you should be able to open up the compression circuits a bit more to make it more compliant, and adjust LSC from there. Like I said though, the entire range of pressures/chamber volumes IS usable. 150psi to 200psi is NOT the same as changing a spring from say 300lbs/in to 400lbs/in, for example.
I didn't read that (frequent bottoming on 350? I thought that was on the 300)... I think what should be stressed here in any case is backing off the compression, I don't think that point got through. :)

And yeah no skid marks - no rebound setting was posted.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
gonna look into riding the rebound slightly faster than my normal neutral setting, have the suspension strech out a bit more, makes sense, since the spicking is nomaly on consecutive hits...

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Alright, gonna try the set up tomorrow. Got all the numbers is, gonna see how it rides
HSC from fully open, 8 clicks (3/4)
LSC from fully open 7 clicks (~ 1/3)
Rebound from fully open 7 clicks (half)
Bottom Out from fully closed, 1 full turne (out of 4)
Air Pressure ~ 150 psi

Initial bounce on the bike tells me the rebound is on the fast side by about a click or two, and that LSC could use a click less, but I'll stick to it for now, see how it goes tomorrow.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Okay, went for a ride today on a completly different track. Full blown out, so I was taking it easy and chilling, having a good time. I ended up getting one more click out of the rebound as it was to fast with the 7 clicks. With 8 it still felt fast, but one more click would be going back to how I had it (9 apparently). LSC seemed fine for pedalling. Air pressure and bottom out felt good, only bottomed once on a high speed g out. The braking bumps were all over the place, but since I wasnt going racing speed and taking it easy, I didnt think to much to move HSC. Next time I'll be pushing it a bit more so I can fine tune it, but since I was just riding kinda of girllish, it didnt feel harsh or spike. I also went back to 28 psi in the rear tire and 26 in the front, versus 30 rear 28 front, just because it was so dry and blown out.

Anyone else care to share their adjustments? thanks guys!