Quantcast

Shock damping question

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Ok, so long story short, on every bike i own, i run the shock with the most minumum damping possible, because to me-i want to get the most travel without ramp up. This is on 2 demo 9s (roco and swinger) a 303 that is pushed (80% happy with) and a jedi with a DHX 5. I am wondering if I should be running shocks with as much damping and piggy backs because (i think) im running the shock almost completely off the spring and not using any real damping. I am running the CORRECT if not lower spring rate on all bikes and they all have the minumum air pressure. This is the same deal with all my forks. (40s and a 66) what are your opinions? Is the minimum still more damping than a **** shock? Any advice or facts about why i SHOULD or SHOULDNT is appreciated. i do enjoy learning how this stuff works.

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
There is nothing wrong with running minimal damping if it still maintaining wheel control. The important thing to remember is that quality dampers have far superior control through the whole range than a cheap alternative.
Suspension set up is a very personal thing so what works for you may not work for someone else.

It ain't broke, don't mess with it.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Minimal damping can be OK as long as you maintain control and traction. "Running the shock almost completely off the spring and not using any real damping" sounds a bit too far from optimal though, especially if you talked to a suspension expert. Humans have an amazing way of adapting though, so nothing wrong with riding how you like it.

If you ever get a chance to ride a properly set up bike with Cane Creek, BOS, etc. you should go for it. These shocks have more effective low speed damping and I find they provide a very stable, controlled ride. It will feel miles apart from how your run your bikes though. You might find that you can go faster with a bit more damping dialed in, even if it doesn't feel right at first.

Also, you can run a lighter spring if you run more compression damping. Won't affect sag, but your dynamic ride height will be higher.