Quantcast

Shock Ding Dong

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Woo writes really good reviews, and Blister is a great site for snowy stuff.

I have the same frame and I couldn't find that shock in a "LL" tune, only medium and high. Hrmfph.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice review. I got a recommendation for this shock recently. Nice to see some details about it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
What is a Monarch doing in the downhill section?

I don't get it.
yeah. this guy is right. kidwoo you're so stupid. and you don't know how to ride a bike. I can't trust your review because its in the wrong bicycle forum.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't know what Billy is talking about, but I posted it here because this is the gathering place of the official Kidwoo fan club, and because this is where I find the most useful technical information and product reviews.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
That is a pretty damn good article with tons of good information. I have to reread it again to remember all of the goodies. A couple of things:

1) Weight comparison with a RP3 would a have been interesting just

2) In stead of soapy water why not hold submerge the shock in water and you would see leaks even small leaks. What I would do back in the old days with tubes.

Having jumped back to shorter travel bikes I am super impressed what you can do now with less travel. Besides renting a DH bike I am not sure I would ever by a full on DH bike again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Seems to line up with my RS experiences too. Works great when it works, but QC still sucks.

The RC3 sounds like a great middle ground between the heavier duty air shocks, like the CCDB and DHX, and XC air shocks like the RP23 and regular monarch. I think, as CBJ sez, that these shocks will get more "air time" as people settle in on bikes that do a bit more of everything.

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
yeah. this guy is right. kidwoo you're so stupid. and you don't know how to ride a bike. I can't trust your review because its in the wrong bicycle forum.
I didn't say that. I don't know this Kidwoo guy, and he might be the god of mountain biking, but that's still a Monarch in a DH forum. The bigger size is 8.75×2.6″, wich DH bike would fit that?

It must be a very nice enduro air shock.

Also the review is so nice i would like to see this guys reviewing a Vivid Air or a Dorado.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
but that's still a Monarch in a DH forum.
No one reads the other bike forums here, so anything generally relevant to mountain biking ends up in here unless you like talking to yourself.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
1) Weight comparison with a RP3 would a have been interesting.
Good point. I should add it. I was so caught up in how much different it rode, I didn't even think about that.

2) In stead of soapy water why not hold submerge the shock in water and you would see leaks even small leaks. What I would do back in the old days with tubes.
Honestly, that's what I usually do. But I was so sick and tired of pulling it off my bike a zillion times while trying to get it dialed, I just got lazy. I found it though.

I didn't say that. I don't know this Kidwoo guy, and he might be the god of mountain biking, but that's still a Monarch in a DH forum. The bigger size is 8.75×2.6″, wich DH bike would fit that?
1)you spelt 'dog' wrong

2)not all dh'in is done on 8" travel bikes with 3"+ stroke shocks

3) there ARE sizes that fit plenty of burly 7" bikes that are every bit as 'dh' most of the frames you're probably thinking about

4)Ain't you heard? All mountaineering is the new shawn palmer.........who rode bikes not nearly as capable as what a monarch RC3+ would fit on these days

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Kidwoo, you know of anyway or anybody that has mount RS to the short travel SX. Probably gonna have my Fox tuned. The volume spacers helped but still not what I'm looking for.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Kidwoo, you know of anyway or anybody that has mount RS to the short travel SX. Probably gonna have my Fox tuned. The volume spacers helped but still not what I'm looking for.
That frame is kind of fked up. It's a 7.5" x 1.5" shock. I have no idea if the mount will even fit into that little cup on the swinglink first of all. Secondly the fox shock that it comes with is essentially a neutered 7.5 x 2.0 that bottoms out at 1.5". You'd have to figure out a way to do that with a different shock. You might be able to cut down the air volume enough that it just ramps up so hard that the last bit of travel never gets used. But speaking from experience, a fox shock I tried to do that with just flat out didn't work.

Specialized and their weird customized shocks can suck a dick as far as I'm concerned.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark

It must be a very nice enduro air shock.

Also the review is so nice i would like to see this guys reviewing a Vivid Air or a Dorado.
Don't worry I felt that way when I entered this strange place many years ago. I forgot I do not have to read all threads and can skip the ones that are not relevant. Hell I even made a sill post and told people to be more on topic. Here is what I have learned 1) Off topic can teach you things you did not know 2) DH is a lot more diverse then you might think it is 3) Off topic is often a lot more entertaining than compare a Glory DH with Wilson DH frame type treads. I think this tread is a good example and the article has some quality information that has a lot of relevance to DH. As for Woo I had the pleasure to ride with him a few runs in Whistler many years ago and he knows how to ride bikes :)

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
That frame is kind of fked up. It's a 7.5" x 1.5" shock. I have no idea if the mount will even fit into that little cup on the swinglink first of all. Secondly the fox shock that it comes with is essentially a neutered 7.5 x 2.0 that bottoms out at 1.5". You'd have to figure out a way to do that with a different shock. You might be able to cut down the air volume enough that it just ramps up so hard that the last bit of travel never gets used. But speaking from experience, a fox shock I tried to do that with just flat out didn't work.

Specialized and their weird customized shocks can suck a dick as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks, I'll get it tuned by PUSH or SuspEX soon and go from there. Love it as a trail bike just wish I could stiffen it a little more for DJs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Thanks, I'll get it tuned by PUSH or SuspEX soon and go from there. Love it as a trail bike just wish I could stiffen it a little more for DJs.
Read these

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/review-2011-specialized-xs

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2011-specialized-sx-part-2

Get some volume reducers. That bike will never feel like a good jumper until you do. Push will overdamp the compression stroke which helps a bit but doesn't solve the real problem.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
That seems to be a very concise, unbiased, and informative review, thanks for it. That shock is of particular interest to me because it's spec'ed on the trailbike that I'll most likely be riding in the spring and I've never ridden one. I really like the volume adjustability.

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
Read these

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/review-2011-specialized-xs

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2011-specialized-sx-part-2

Get some volume reducers. That bike will never feel like a good jumper until you do. Push will overdamp the compression stroke which helps a bit but doesn't solve the real problem.
I've already got the large reducer in. Still not what I'd like (I'm 200lbs w/gear). If they could make it where I could run lower pressure for the trail and more for DJs, I think I could live with it. As long as it didn't affect the rebound to much.

I read the reviews when you first put them out, very good, I knew exactly how you felt. Just wondering if you found some other answers but I guess you not on that bike anymore.

A figured that even if there Pro riders (Hill and Bronson) where running "blacked out" Fox products there was not alternative.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If they could make it where I could run lower pressure for the trail and more for DJs, I think I could live with it.
That's exactly what reducing the volume of the air can gets you along with a more progressive stroke.

You've just the ONE large volume reducer in there though? I've got both the large and medium in mine :D

Last edited:

OffCamber

Monkey
May 27, 2005
Loxahatchee, Fl
pizza crusts, old tires, snot rockets........fill that thing up with whatever you got.
:rofl:
Did you glue the 2 together or will the washer keep the second one in place? I think I will put an old shock bumper in there also. That's all the PUSH Bighit kit thingy is. How will this effect the rebound?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
:rofl:
Did you glue the 2 together or will the washer keep the second one in place? I think I will put an old shock bumper in there also. That's all the PUSH Bighit kit thingy is. How will this effect the rebound?
The two actually mesh together really well. Almost as if someone had thunk it ahead of time. You'll see what I mean.

At the pressures you have to run that thing to make it a decent jumper, the rebound damper is pretty overwhelmed. Adding the volume reducers will help in that you can run a little bit lower pressures but it's still not quite what it should be. That is one thing that push can do for you is beef up the rebound damping circuit. And yeah, the push big hit thingy is exactly what you obviously know it is.