Quantcast

shock help

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
ok, so i'm thinking again about a part change and it's my rear shock on my IH Hollowpoint. right now there's a manitu qr on there i believe. that's what was on there when i bought it. so how do i go about picking a new shock. i just ride xc, nothing crazy. i'm at about 225lb now, hopefully getting down to 200 or lower. what do i need to measure, how to measure? should i stay with air or go to a coil? and recomendations are appreciated. i've noticed some measurement sizes on them, just dont know what they mean like 7.875 x 2. saw some of the clearance stuff on santa cruz's site and got me thinking about getting a new shock, hopefully and upgrade over what i have now.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
What year hollowpoint? better yet, just post a picture. If it's a newer one ('06+) you'll need a shock with a DW-link specific tune. If the shock isn't the proper tune for your bike it will actually make it ride noticeably worse. It should be fairly easy to find a shock for you after you post a picture.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the numbers you are seeing is the eye-to-eye (center to center to each eyelet) on the shock and the stroke of the shock(the amount the shaft moves)....ex:8.75"(eye-to-eye)x2.75"(stroke)

like Suspect said, some bikes, like yours, need specific shocks in order to work with the frame's suspension design.

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Huh, so they have parrallel links but pivot in different locations and have a different wheel path than the DW Link bikes? Weird. But anyway, with his weight some extra compression damping would be nice so no low tune, DW specific shocks.