Quantcast

Shock help

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
This isnt for my DH bike, but I know all the smart people hang out here.

Need your opinions. Currently I have a Fox RP23 on my Transition Covert. The fox came off of a Mountaincycle Fury and was tuned for that frame. I swapped the fox onto the covert when I got the frame. I rides great for the most part but I have never been able to bottom it out. I have talked to Suspension Experts and they said it is a simple fix. I also found a new Marzocchi Rocco TST R for a really good price on ebay.

The Fox is going to take about $125 for a tune and rebuild, but it is a 3 year old shock.

The Rocco is $200 and brand new, but I know nothing about them. Any info would help.

Should I stick with the tried and true and get it rebuilt and tuned, or is a new shock a better way to go?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thats a double edged sword if the marz is newer Id go that route but for $125 which is cheaper and you seem to like it then youd probably save some $ and have a shock you like as well.

So I guess that doesnt help! LOL

Save money and have a product you like
or
pay more and have a product you havent ridden

If you opt to save coin you will never know if you like it or not (marz) and if you spend the coin you may not like it at all. Good news is your not completely out if you by the marz you can sell it and then have the tune done and go to the fox as a back up incase your not happy!

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
you may well need to spend more cash on the rocco to get it tunned to get the most from it with ur frame. Its a tough one to call but i'd probably get the fox tunned and serviced and it will be good as new.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Large or small air can???

If you have the smaller can, you can do a simple swap to the larger (DHX style) can to make the shock more linear in spring force. You could most likely find someone to swap cans, or just buy one from Fox or Push.

BTW, what is the damper setting (should be a little bar graph on the sticker)

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
This isnt for my DH bike, but I know all the smart people hang out here.

Need your opinions. Currently I have a Fox RP23 on my Transition Covert. The fox came off of a Mountaincycle Fury and was tuned for that frame. I swapped the fox onto the covert when I got the frame. I rides great for the most part but I have never been able to bottom it out. I have talked to Suspension Experts and they said it is a simple fix. I also found a new Marzocchi Rocco TST R for a really good price on ebay.

The Fox is going to take about $125 for a tune and rebuild, but it is a 3 year old shock.

The Rocco is $200 and brand new, but I know nothing about them. Any info would help.

Should I stick with the tried and true and get it rebuilt and tuned, or is a new shock a better way to go?
how do you like your covert? im looking at getting one for my all mountain rig. looks like a great bike at a great price IMO

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
how do you like your covert? im looking at getting one for my all mountain rig. looks like a great bike at a great price IMO
Bunny, I have three friends that ride the covert for all mountain riding and some light freeride. They absolutely love them. I have ridden theirs around and i liked it alot.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Thanks for the help. I am going to just send the Fox back to get worked on.

Lovebunny- I have a 2008 and love it. I have used it for everything from XC to shuttle runs.

The 2009 is completely redesigned.