Quantcast

Shock lengths are wrong!?

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Has anyone found that your shock I to I is incorrect from what the manufacturer sold it as? I have a Manitou and a Romic with too short I-I. Both are more than 3mm off! This is jacking up my b-b height!
Am I alone in noticing this?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
flymybike said:
Has anyone found that your shock I to I is incorrect from what the manufacturer sold it as? I have a Manitou and a Romic with too short I-I. Both are more than 3mm off! This is jacking up my b-b height!
3mm is jacking up your BB height? Are you kidding?

Come on now... Please tell me you're joking.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
flymybike said:
you're selling me a too-short shock! :eek: :D anyway, if this is that same 9.5" shock, 3mm is negligible (1.2%) when compared to the i2i.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
binary visions said:
3mm is jacking up your BB height? Are you kidding?

Come on now... Please tell me you're joking.
:stupid:

That is precisly 0.118" - less than 1/8" :confused:

I bet you're method of measuring has less accuracy than that!

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
flymybike said:
WTF? Not only is 3mm nothing to worry about but by being short it wouldLOWER YOUR BB . Put your bike together, ride it, and shut the hell up before you imparass yourself further.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TWISTED said:
WTF? Not only is 3mm nothing to worry about but by being short it wouldLOWER YOUR BB . Put your bike together, ride it, and shut the hell up before you imparass yourself further.
methinks that "jacking up" is not literally upwards in this usage. :think:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
TWISTED said:
He means lowering? Hmmm, are you sure? :think:
let us consider the meaning of, say, "i jacked up my knee". in this case it's clear that the knee was not physically moved upwards but rather just screwed up. heh, or maybe "out of spec". maybe that usage was intended. :D

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
What if a mechanic said he jacked up your car and then mentioned something about height? Does that mean he screwed up the engine?

Who cares Toshi? maybe the rain will stop so we can ride.
Maybe I'll put my monsterT on my xc bike. Do you think it will jack up my front end? :D

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
TWISTED said:
What if a mechanic said he jacked up your car and then mentioned something about height? Does that mean he screwed up the engine?

Who cares Toshi? maybe the rain will stop so we can ride.
Maybe I'll put my monsterT on my xc bike. Do you think it will jack up my front end? :D
Once you do that you could huck over the road gap and explode your frame, and it would be JACKED UP. Then you'd hit a tree and be JACKED UP too.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
zane said:
Once you do that you could huck over the road gap and explode your frame, and it would be JACKED UP. Then you'd hit a tree and be JACKED UP too.
Listen up, JACK! I don't plan on JACKhammering myself into any trees so don't be a JACKass because you don't know Jack!

Zane we going riding?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
whoa! alot of harsh abuse flying around in this thread!

3mm, true isnt' a whole lot. but surely shouldn't happen when its strait from the factory. they should be exact.

and that 3 mm of it being too short, on a 3-1 ratio means the axle is 9mm higher than it should be. for a rider who knows exacly what he wants and how his bike should feel, that makes a difference. its like chainstay length. do you notice a quarter inch difference? yes you do. some people don't but if you're good and you know how to read your bike's characteristics, then yes you notice it and it can make a difference. I'm just going to step out on a limb here, but I'm guessing Lance Canfield(flymybike) knows what he's talking about... Just maybe... seeing that he designed his own bike... But who knows. I mean, heck, I could be wrong. I bet you're right Slugman, I bet lance may not have a clue about setting his bike up the correct way...

but hey, that's just what I think. We are all entitled to have our own opinions now aren't we? So lets all not talk about them and get out there and ride. becuase that what i'm going to do.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
iridebikes said:
whoa! alot of harsh abuse flying around in this thread!

3mm, true isnt' a whole lot. but surely shouldn't happen when its strait from the factory. they should be exact.

and that 3 mm of it being too short, on a 3-1 ratio means the axle is 9mm higher than it should be. for a rider who knows exacly what he wants and how his bike should feel, that makes a difference. its like chainstay length. do you notice a quarter inch difference? yes you do. some people don't but if you're good and you know how to read your bike's characteristics, then yes you notice it and it can make a difference. I'm just going to step out on a limb here, but I'm guessing Lance Canfield(flymybike) knows what he's talking about... Just maybe... seeing that he designed his own bike... But who knows. I mean, heck, I could be wrong. I bet you're right Slugman, I bet lance may not have a clue about setting his bike up the correct way...

but hey, that's just what I think. We are all entitled to have our own opinions now aren't we? So lets all not talk about them and get out there and ride. becuase that what i'm going to do.
We did go ride........SIX MONTHS AGO!!!!!!!!!!
Why are you responding to an old dead thread that was actually just a few friends screwing aroud, SIX MONTHS AGO!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Hmmm...to put this thread back to on track, I noticed something along the same lines.

I compared 3 shocks side by side:

Romic: 9 x 2.75
Fox RC: 8.75 x 2.75
Stratos El Jefe: 8.75 x 2.75

Out of all three, the Romic shock had a REAL 2.75" stroke while the other two were closer to 2.5".

Hmmm...I'm going to get on the phone and see if it's possible to bump my El Jefe up to 9x3"....Mwahahahahaha!!