Quantcast

shock oil release

re33157

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
I was f’in with my Fox DHX air 3.0 shock and inadvertently released some fluid. Hard to tell how much but if I had to guess about ¼ teaspoon. Will that be a problem? If so how do fix it? Yeah I know if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.

Thanks

re33157

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
Is that not a diy task? The shock is less then a year old and I hate to have to send it off.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
You could get a rear shock seal kit from Fox and do it yourself. The kit comes with Float Fluid, you'd just need to get the instructions from Fox. Oh, make sure you take all the air out of the thing before you open it. Also, a big bench vice makes that job so much easier. If you don't have one, I don't know if I'd recommend trying it.

re33157

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for the reply and info. Is it necessary to install the complete seal kit or can I just change the Float Fluid? As I mentioned the shock is less then a year old with little use. I’m sure the seals are fine I just need to replace the fluid I released. Is it possible to get detailed service info form Fox? My unintentional fluid release was because the owners and service documentation Fox provides with the shock and online is very vague and I turned the wrong screw.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
If you're going to open it, you might as well put the seals in. You could nick one of the seals when you take the can off anyway. It'll be in your best interest and the seal kit is pretty cheap.

re33157

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
OK…this is what Fox told me. The fluid, Float Fluid, is in the shock only for lubrication, no hydraulic or other function. They put 5cc in when the shock is assembled. The Fox rep said the amount that I released would have no adverse effect. That was good news. BTW the Fox rep I spoke was helpful and appeared to be very knowledgeable.
I hope the info is helpful to others that screw with things they shouldn’t.

re33157

Chimp
Jan 19, 2008
The oil was released from a silver colored internal wrenching allen head screw located on the top forward part of the shock.