Quantcast

Shock Opinions

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I have found that the budget this time of year doesn't allow for the new avy or double barrel I was hoping for. Now I am looking at a new roco world cup or a used avy if I can find one. I weigh about 240 and its going on an swd 216. I have a dhx 5 right now and my complaints are that its not sensitive enough on smalll bumps, bottoms way too easily, and its a b!tch to set up. So which shock will be better for me beacuse i really do not like the dhx, the new vivid may be an option too but i dont like to buy products that haven't been proven for a few years. Thanks

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
My thoughts on Avalanche: I was leaning that way too but when you look at getting a used one, getting your hands on it, shipping it to Craig, paying for the revalve, getting new reducers, paying to lengthen/shorten the resevoir hose, paying a boat load of money to 'add' independent hi/lo speed adjustment (as opposed to not paying a lot for it when you buy the shock brand new), you're better off buying brand new (unless it's REALLY cheap).

ajay

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Melbourne, AUS
Its a coil and i've had it for a year and has been on several different bikes.
I hate to sound condescending, but if you had it for a year, and in that time had it installed on "serveral" (3 or 4?) bikes thn you probably havent given it the time it deserves to tune it up. Out of the shocks you mention the DHX is perhaps the most proven! Tuning can be hard as you say, but they work, and work very well once tuned. Ive had one on a Commencal Supreme Dh and a Norco team DH (both quite different bikes) and have had nothing but success with them, especially in the bottom out and LSC departments.

If you cant the results you want out of a DHX, do you think you will be able to achieve them with another shock?

PS: I would really like to give a double barrel a wurl!

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
My thoughts on Avalance: I was leaning that way too but when you look at getting a used one, getting your hands on it, shipping it to Craig, paying for the revalve, getting new reducers, paying to lengthen/shorten the resevoir hose, paying a boat load of money to 'add' independent hi/lo speed adjustment (as opposed to not paying a lot for it when you buy the shock brand new), you're better off buying brand new (unless it's REALLY cheap).
I didn't know that, maybe the avy is out of the question.

Does anyone think that the roco will solve my complaints with the dhx?

ajay

Chimp
Dec 29, 2007
Melbourne, AUS
I felt a rocco on an 08 norco team Dh, it felt extremely supple on the initial stroke but is quite "bouncy" lack of platform maybe?

It may be worth trying the Rocco, but it doesnt really fit into the "few years of being proven" criteria...

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I didn't know that, maybe the avy is out of the question.
Yup, if the price of the used Avy would is less than $400 with full rebuild/revalve (which probably won't happen), I'd say look elsewhere.

jamesdc11 said:
Probably since you have your basic compression and rebound adjustment, that's it.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
the Dhx got only 3 knobs to move , and a air valve and that it and is the lightest and nicer shock for the money.
Seems like you just want to spend money.... keep it for the races.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I just ordered a new roco world cup:biggrin:, after doing some research it sounded like the best match for my 888. Does anyone know what oil roco's come stock with and where to get more, I've heard alot of problems with them coming with not enough oil.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Reviews and dyno tests agree that the roco is has better quality damping and is more consistent. It has less adjusters, so this means that it can't be tuned as much on the spot. This is probably better than a roco for most guys. If you like to tinker, the roco can be better from what I understand -- the idea being to get it dialed with shims, oil weights, and the external adjusters used for course-related mods.

I want to try a roco some day when I have more time to break things down and do some testing.

I feel like I should also mention the ccdb, which along with great damping quality, has had a lot of work done to move all of the control outboard so it's really easy to get all this done with some screwdrivers. That said, it's in another category because it's so spendy.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I just ordered a new roco world cup:biggrin:, after doing some research it sounded like the best match for my 888. Does anyone know what oil roco's come stock with and where to get more, I've heard alot of problems with them coming with not enough oil.
What size Avy were you looking for?9.5 x 3"?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I hate to sound condescending, but if you had it for a year, and in that time had it installed on "serveral" (3 or 4?) bikes thn you probably havent given it the time it deserves to tune it up. Out of the shocks you mention the DHX is perhaps the most proven! Tuning can be hard as you say, but they work, and work very well once tuned. Ive had one on a Commencal Supreme Dh and a Norco team DH (both quite different bikes) and have had nothing but success with them, especially in the bottom out and LSC departments.

If you cant the results you want out of a DHX, do you think you will be able to achieve them with another shock?

PS: I would really like to give a double barrel a wurl!
Yep, took me about 3 to 4 months to get it right on my V10 an now it is im very happy...(and gettign it pushed is VERY worth it, mine is....or even a tune up makes a big diffrance):busted: